Standard vs Standard+ battery pack chemistry

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Guys, I'm in the process of purchasing a an R1T Dual motor, and having trouble getting a straight answer on the new battery packs

I have been researching and trying to find out for sure but I keep seeing conflicting info in articles and on youtube:

Can someone help clarify please:

1.) Standard and standard+ are the same battery pack with different software locks raising the usable size cap but physically the same (like DM vs DMP)

2.) standard Rivians uses the same LFP battery pack out of the EDV

3.) Standard is a physically smaller battery pack with LFP and Standard+ is still NCA with same chemistry as the Large only a lower total cell count due to smaller size

Does anyone know which are true are which are not?

I can't seem to find white paper/spec sheet/ specifics on the Standard and Standard+ packs.

I originally ordered a DMP with S+ pack but they are refusing to release them, so I am contemplating changing to a DM+Large pack for basically the same cost. I would like to know more however before I make the change.

Thanks!
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Hi Guys, I'm in the process of purchasing a an R1T Dual motor, and having trouble getting a straight answer on the new battery packs

I have been researching and trying to find out for sure but I keep seeing conflicting info in articles and on youtube:

Can someone help clarify please:

1.) Standard and standard+ are the same battery pack with different software locks raising the usable size cap but physically the same (like DM vs DMP)

2.) standard Rivians uses the same LFP battery pack out of the EDV

3.) Standard is a physically smaller battery pack with LFP and Standard+ is still NCA with same chemistry as the Large only a lower total cell count due to smaller size

Does anyone know which are true are which are not?

I can't seem to find white paper/spec sheet/ specifics on the Standard and Standard+ packs.

I originally ordered a DMP with S+ pack but they are refusing to release them, so I am contemplating changing to a DM+Large pack for basically the same cost. I would like to know more however before I make the change.

Thanks!
1) we donā€™t know for sure

2) we donā€™t know for sure.

3) we donā€™t know for sure.

OP
OP

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
so we have to wait for the Munroe tear down basically?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
so we have to wait for the Munroe tear down basically?
Probably to get all the info you are looking for. Rivian might come out and say the battery chemistry. Maybe even the pack size. Doubt they would say anything about it being software locked.

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
Iā€˜ve heard #1 on these forums but not confirmed. When I asked whatā€™s the diff on a demo drive, they seemed to hint something closer to #3.

As far as your order goes, I made the same choices (standard+, DMP). I was on the fence at the time but had I known they would be delayed, I wouldā€™ve ordered regular DM & Large battery.

I ended up switching my order to exactly that (DM, large) and sale process went through in 2 days. Payment was cheaper, a tiny bit of extra range, and after two demo drives, DM acceleration was just fine.

Iā€™m banking on theyā€™ll allow the performance unlock later. After all, we *know those are the same HW.

Last edited:

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Standard and Standard+ are good values IMO and will meet the needs of most folks.

The only thing Rivian has confirmed AFAIK is that they are currently NCM but they plan to switch to LFP in the future. No timeline has been given.

I suspect Standard is just a software locked standard+ pack but again its all speculation unless someone reverse engineers it or Rivian comes forward with the details.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
This seems relevant if scenario 2 is at play.
https://apple.news/AIrjXVLcuTROQj4alw-UsaQ

Does anyone know if the skateboard frame/chassis of the R1 is the same as the EDV? Based on this article, the EDVā€™s battery pack is 100kWhr. Althought the article doesnā€™t mention if thatā€™s net or gross, the EDV have a range of 150-165mi depending on model (500 or 700). It would make sense for EDV to be using LFP packs given they are likely being charged to 100% on a daily basis and deeply discharged during the course of their routes.
Sponsored