Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I have dual AWD and no conserve mode - is my main regular mode conserve mode because we don't have 4 motors?
My understanding is that the dual motor (DM) disconnect can stand up to more cycling so Rivian essentially runs in Conserve mode but the rear motor is automatically disconnected above a certain speed unless accelerating strongly, and probably in other (not All-Purpose) modes as needed.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
My understanding is that the dual motor (DM) disconnect can stand up to more cycling so Rivian essentially runs in Conserve mode but the rear motor is automatically disconnected above a certain speed unless accelerating strongly, and probably in other (not All-Purpose) modes as needed.
I am curious where this info about durability is comming from? I have not ever seen anything on this fron Rivian...just generally internet speculation.

I don't think Rivian is attempting to speed match on the QM at engagement and I wonder why. They could easily speed up the motors for a less stressful engagement if done at speed. I personally wait till I am at under about 15mph and no load to engage mine.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I am curious where this info about durability is comming from? I have not ever seen anything on this fron Rivian...just generally internet speculation.

I don't think Rivian is attempting to speed match on the QM at engagement and I wonder why. They could easily speed up the motors for a less stressful engagement if done at speed. I personally wait till I am at under about 15mph and no load to engage mine.
I think it’s from the type of clutch used in the QM disconnects and there may have been some mention of durability/cycling when the in-house disconnect for DM was revealed.

I don’t understand why they don’t speed match either. I haven’t seen any official guidance on entering/exiting Conserve so I change at any speed while attempting to maintain no load. I think if Rivian doesn’t want us doing something they’ll lock it out, like changing drive mode and/or suspension while cruise control or highway assist are engaged.

edit: typo

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Morning, all.

My commute is 90% highway and I'm playing with different ways to gain efficiency. I've seen the posts saying you shouldn't run in conservative mode all the time, because it shreds your front tires. But, one of the features conservative mode does that interests me is being able to bring your ride height all the way down to the lowest setting. My assumption is this reduces your wind profile, making you more efficient.

So, here's what I'm wondering: If you're just cruising on the highway, using cruise control, would you actually save more by being in Sport mode with the ride height all the way down, compared to AT mode? I get that Sport mode might use up more juice if you're heavy on the gas, but if you're just cruising at a steady speed and letting cruise control do its thing for speeding up or slowing down, wouldn't having the lowest ride height in Sport mode mean better efficiency?

I'm curious what you all think,
Phil
Like a lot of people say is that on road trips when charging and distance is a little more important, I drive in conserve. When I am driving to work, 95% highway, I will be in all purpose. I am blessed that I get to charge for free at work. So, by time it is to leave to go home, I am back at 90% charge.

When we road trip, that is the only time we put it in conserve and charge to 100%, otherwise, 90%. We rotate the tires every 8,000ish miles.

Boo23

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
CEO
Be aware if you’re using nav and you switch from all purpose to conserve you’ll lose your destination/directions. I brought it up with Rivian and it appears to be a known issue.

Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2017 Mercedes E300
Occupation
Small business owner
Be aware if you’re using nav and you switch from all purpose to conserve you’ll lose your destination/directions. I brought it up with Rivian and it appears to be a known issue.
Must be a local bug in your vehicle. I have switched every time I pulled off the highway to charge my R1S while using nav on two 3000 mile trips and on the current 2000 mile trip without ever losing any direction information.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
I've been playing with All Purpose, Low Suspension and so far, it's increased my range by 2-ish percent (6 miles). That said, I forgot about the inner tire wear from constant Low driving, so I'll be resuming Normal from this point on. Thank goodness for the forums. Haha
Sponsored