Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Many people are cutting $85K checks
Oof. Many people? Think I'm in the wrong club. 🤷🤣 Although this does make me curious how many people are buying these vehicles outright, and how many of us are scrimping and saving, just because they want/need an EV truck...
Sponsored

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Oof. Many people? Think I'm in the wrong club. 🤷🤣 Although this does make me curious how many people are buying these vehicles outright, and how many of us are scrimping and saving, just because they want/need an EV truck...
I don't recommend using debt to buy a depreciating asset unless you really have no choice. Unlike normal cars, Rivians seem to gain about 40% in value the moment you drive them off the lot, so could make plenty of sense here... :)

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I bought the spare more for the tool setup than I did the tire itself. The floor plate and jack is appropriately setup for this particular vehicle and height. Currently, just have the tools installed in the truck with the tire in the garage. If I go on a road trip or off-roading, then will throw the spare in the back. Don't see the need in carrying the extra weight around for local driving. Plus allows you to use the space for extra storage space.

I learned the hard way with the Tesla that you don't want to be without a spare on a long distance road trip. Got a flat. Was outside of Tesla's normal roadside coverage area. 23 hours later, finally made it home, without the car. Buying the spare was a no brainer after that fiasco. Obviously hope to never need it. But, it's the one time that you do that makes you regret not having it.

Sponsored

achanster

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450H
Occupation
VP
Ordered my R1T April 2019, Took delivery July 2022. Ordered the spare, wanted the spare but they had no spare to spare. I'm still waiting to be offered one to purchase. (21" road is what was available to take delivery sooner, wanted the 20" off road)

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Ordered my R1T April 2019, Took delivery July 2022. Ordered the spare, wanted the spare but they had no spare to spare. I'm still waiting to be offered one to purchase. (21" road is what was available to take delivery sooner, wanted the 20" off road)
Oh when, oh when will you be spared this agony?

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I don't recommend using debt to buy a depreciating asset unless you really have no choice. Unlike normal cars, Rivians seem to gain about 40% in value the moment you drive them off the lot, so could make plenty of sense here... :)
I'm a former FA (BS/MBA) and I approve this message.

In other words, the cents make sense.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
...or more. Not sure what they're actually getting, but the 6 or 7 listed within 100 miles from my place on AutoTrader are $120k - $140k. Why the hell I didn't order 2 from the outset is beyond me.:facepalm: I still placed a new order post March '22, but pulling the trigger on that figure is very questionable. At least I'll have a few 1000 miles on my shop config by them to see if a RIV is really what I want long term.

A family friend ordered 4 in '19. He has one so far. He'll likely end up netting a free one and maybe some extra $$ in his pocket, assuming he flips a couple. I believe he ordered 2 R1Ts & 2 R1Ss.

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

That's ridiculous. So you just have to sit in the middle of nowhere with your thumb up your ass?
You could do other things with your thumbs that would be less invasive.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That’s only going to be true so long. Assuming you’re pre March and have a truck ordered you should gain at least 20% though as that’s the new price to play but supply and demand could throw a wrench in the works.

Rising interest rates, a worse EV tax credit and a shaky economy make over extending yourself to buy the truck for financial gain a risky move unless you are going to take delivery soon and flip it immediately.

Otherwise your advice is spot on. Personally I’m of the school that one shouldn’t buy a luxury car as a stretch, doubly so for a new manufacturer that very well could fold up and leave everyone holding a bag of shit.

If I buy a new model Audi and it’s a pile of dog excrement I can be reasonably sure it won’t bankrupt the VW group to get a refund. If the Rivian bricks and the company folds you’re left with 80k dollars worth of useless scrap and you might be able to part it out for the worth of the battery if you’re lucky.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
If I buy a new model Audi and it’s a pile of dog excrement I can be reasonably sure it won’t bankrupt the VW group to get a refund. If the Rivian bricks and the company folds you’re left with 80k dollars worth of useless scrap and you might be able to part it out for the worth of the battery if you’re lucky.
So what you're saying is that (possibly), "Where we're going...we don't need roads"

Rivian R1T R1S Spare Tire / Reinforced Underbody Delorean_DMC-12_side

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yes except worse as the DeLorian at least still ran after DMC went bankrupt and John DeLorian went to jail for drug trafficking. If Rivian folds, since it runs mostly on software, it could wind up dead. Hopefully if that happened someone would take up the task of keeping the software working. It won't be me, I know next to nothing about computers except how to send emails and watch YouTube.
Sponsored