Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The Lightning software has such a big head-start as delivered.
Too bad Ford screen UI is ass. Maybe it's easier to update a simplistic, cartoonish UI. 🙂 I know, I know.. there's more to software than just the UI.
Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I wonder if it’s an alignment issue?
I'm not knowledgeable enough about suspension geometries and whatnot but how would that happen? Perhaps put the camber off which would cause uneven wear over longer distances?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm not knowledgeable enough about suspension geometries and whatnot but how would that happen? Perhaps put the camber off which would cause uneven wear over longer distances?
Yes, changing the height definitely affects the suspension geometry. Offroad, that isn't such a big deal, as you're going over rough terrain and generally thrashing the tires, anyway. But on the highway when you're cruising for hours at high speed on (relatively) smooth pavement, you're going to cause unnecessary wear.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With previous update and latest app version, PAAK was all over the place with timely unlocks. Occasionally it would unlock timely but most of the time it just sat there and waited for the appropriate sunspot to hit. Got the latest software version download and installed to the truck yesterday morning. So far, unlocks are back to where they should be. Feels like something in the update improved operation of the locks.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I’m not sure where else this is discussed because it’s hard to search… but I wish they would fix the sport mode “bucking”.

The transition between accelerating and regenerative breaking is basically non existent.

If they would let the thing coast for a second or two after lifting off the accelerator in sport mode you wouldn’t find your foot bouncing on and off the accelerator between the two functions as you get jolted back and forth.

Anyone else experience this?

Turning regeneration down helps a little, I think.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
There seems to be an improvement to L1 charging in this release. Prior, the truck burned through so much energy that L1 charging was basically a wash -- that's not the case anymore as it's at least doing something.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Can’t wait for Rivian to push the update to me. Last time it took a week before I received the update. :facepalm:

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Okay so I don't know what to make of this. Just reporting the facts. After this latest update, I charged to 100 cause I have a trip starting tomorrow.
Miles available showed 293 this morning. We went for an 11 mile drive (very hilly) at lunch today. At the end of the drive it showed 291. So only 2 miles was used during an 11 mile drive with tons of elevation change.
So either the truck has become a lot more efficient, or mileage estimate was just off because I went to 100. Just a point of observation for now. I'll report more later.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not sure where else this is discussed because it’s hard to search… but I wish they would fix the sport mode “bucking”.

The transition between accelerating and regenerative breaking is basically non existent.

If they would let the thing coast for a second or two after lifting off the accelerator in sport mode you wouldn’t find your foot bouncing on and off the accelerator between the two functions as you get jolted back and forth.

Anyone else experience this?

Turning regeneration down helps a little, I think.
Is this your first EV? Do you have it set to high Regen? Once you learn to regulate the accelerator, then it smooths out dramatically. You just can’t do the on/off like in an ICE.

I haven’t experienced any roughness/bouncing with Sport mode.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

There seems to be an improvement to L1 charging in this release. Prior, the truck burned through so much energy that L1 charging was basically a wash -- that's not the case anymore as it's at least doing something.
I never charged L1 prior to the update, but I'm getting ~2kw on a standard 15a wall outlet which is coming out to 2.5 miles of range gained per hour of charge. Still not something you want to rely on, but better than what others were reporting. Getting 25 miles of range overnight is at least enough to maintain a nice buffer if you aren't driving 100 miles a day.

Sponsored

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I noted the same while plugged in at a campsite this weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
This aligns with ICE vehicles as well. How many highways are there where you are riding the brakes downhill in an ICE? Those are the ones where you would start to actually gain appreciable charge back into the battery for a BEV. I can't think of many highways where this happens.
I actually think that downshifting and ICE is a better analogy. Brakes are just wasted as heat in all circumstances. Downshifting an ICE provides resistance to keep speed under control, and is vital here in CO if you don't want to overheat your brakes and have them fail. Unfortunately, a downshifted ICE is still using fuel, at least until someone figures out a way to convert kinetic energy to gasoline.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Unfortunately, a downshifted ICE is still using fuel, at least until someone figures out a way to convert kinetic energy to gasoline.
a modern fuel-injected vehicle should use no fuel when engine compression braking. They cut the injectors off. Regen is still better, as you actually recover some energy; but ICE vehicles can stop consuming fuel when engine compression braking.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I wonder if it’s an alignment issue?
This is my thinking as well. With air suspension and the overall range of adjustment we are able to use it's likely that you'd experience adverse tire wear in such a setting at higher speeds as well as unpredictable handling characteristics about 45mph...

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Can’t wait for Rivian to push the update to me. Last time it took a week before I received the update. :facepalm:
still waiting as well
Sponsored