Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Can someone explain preconditioning efficiency gains “when using trip planner”? This is the native mapping app? If I’m reading this correctly, they are directly tying preconditioning to the map? I know everyone is begging for Apple/Google maps but is this part of the reason they want people to use the native app instead?
Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Can someone explain preconditioning efficiency gains “when using trip planner”? This is the native mapping app? If I’m reading this correctly, they are directly tying preconditioning to the map? I know everyone is begging for Apple/Google maps but is this part of the reason they want people to use the native app instead?
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming if you have a route planned and it’s showing you need to charge. The system will automatically start preconditioning the battery to be at best status for DC charging. This is standard practice, but yes it only applies if you have your route in the native navigation app.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming if you have a route planned and it’s showing you need to charge. The system will automatically start preconditioning the battery to be at best status for DC charging. This is standard practice, but yes it only applies if you have your route in the native navigation app.
This is my understanding.

There were a lot of reports about the preconditioning kicking in excessively in advance of the charging destination. I’m guessing that some of these changes are targeting the optimization of this timing.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is my understanding.

There were a lot of reports about the preconditioning kicking in excessively in advance of the charging destination. I’m guessing that some of these changes are targeting the optimization of this timing.
Sometimes the preconditioning would actually just fail, according to some reports. But yes, it's not a new feature, it's a further refinement of the previously added feature to make it perform even better. The peak charging rate won't change, but we'll hopefully see it longer and/or an overall bulkier curve through these thermal management improvements, increasing average speeds by 20% allegedly.

However, the big caveat is that they say ideal conditions, which can be translated as - when the DCFC station holds up on their end of the bargain. More often than not, it's the station that limits charging performance, not the Rivian. So, I would expect these improvements to mostly show up on RAN chargers (always ideal conditions), and occasionally at public stations (sometimes ideal conditions).

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Some really good quality improvements here. The turn signal canceling was driving me crazy. Better DCFC performance will be nice too. I’m sad they changed the RIDE password without giving us a “stats for nerds” screen or metric (km) gauge options . The F150 gives us more low level detail about vehicle health. RIDE made up for that.

Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Came through last night apparently. Updating now. Still haven’t gotten a push notification, but did notice the in app one when I checked this AM

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes when navigating to a fast charger it will start telling you that it is preconditioning about an hour before arrival... at least when it works

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Another weak update
It’s August. People take vacations. I think it’s great in the context of all the other updates.
Would have liked to see and update around Alexa, improving speed, intelligence, showing locations when searching for closest ABC.

Updates are good nonetheless!
There’s an update around Alexa.
No exciting new features but a lot of good bug fixes here.
There are new features

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There are new features
Umm I said 'No exciting new features' which clearly makes it opinion not fact. If you think some new features are exciting feel free to comment on them, not sure why you need to call me out for my opinion.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah they must be closing the length of time that they're taking to roll out updates. Last update took me 1.5 weeks to receive, I got this one this morning and it was announced yesterday. Much better in terms of speed of rollout.

Sponsored

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
Wish they fixed the key. I wish they would give an option on the auto presenting door handle.

just make the door handle work like the MODEL 3. When i walk up and push the door handle in door open. problem solved. I DONT NEED AUTO Presenting door handles... when they don't auto present everything and close on you randomly when you're putting your kid in car.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I am surprised people are calling this "weak" when they made DCFC 20% more efficient and reduced vampire drain by 15%. That's huge with just a SW fix.
"People" = one person

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I can't wait until Kyle and his nerd buddies put the new fast charging specs to test and wipe the competition off the map.
Also makes me wonder, if more optimization is possible, would it theoretically be possible to increase range with an update?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I can't wait until Kyle and his nerd buddies put the new fast charging specs to test and wipe the competition off the map.
Also makes me wonder, if more optimization is possible, would it theoretically be possible to increase range with an update?
This point is one of the reasons I take all the Rivian v Lightning stuff with a grain of salt right now. Rivian has already showed that they can iterate on software much faster than traditional OEMs. They may be close now, but it's unlikely to stay that way.
Sponsored