Smelly A/C?

William tom

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
I’ve had my R1S for about 2 mos and 2500 miles now. I’m now starting to get a dreaded smelly sock/ vinegar-y smell when operating the A/C. I have dealt with this in my Tesla Y and it’s a known issue with them but haven’t heard of it with rivian yet. Anyone else dealing with it or know the fix?
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Dead mouse in your vents? After 9 months I have no smell from my A/C, other than a slight "new car" type smell from the outgassing of the various plastics/rubbers/glues/etc. used in manufacturing.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I also had that smell with a Tesla. Have not had it yet with the Rivian. With the Tesla I would spray some Ozium towards the air intake every once in a while and that usually helped.

Lurksalot

First Name
doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru, R1T
Occupation
none
Clubs

I've had my R1T 9 months and never smelled anything until today. I noticed the smell you describe with the A/C on or off only when I use recirculated air. When using fresh air setting, I didn't notice the smell.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had my R1T 9 months and never smelled anything until today. I noticed the smell you describe with the A/C on or off only when I use recirculated air. When using fresh air setting, I didn't notice the smell.

THIS.

I've noticed it for a while when doing recirculation without AC. Today's road trip has me doing that a lot to crank up the vent pressure since fresh air makes it super low pressure.

No dead mice. Might be time to replace the air vent?

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

This happens with many different cars. My VW Jetta did it years ago. The evaporator coils need cleaning and at the same time a new cabin filter should solve this issue. Something like Klima clean is usually what it used if you take it to a pro. Not sure how to access the evap on the Rivian just yet.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-96110515-Klima-Cleaner-Conditioner-Cleaner/dp/B0002Z2MKO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1XUMKBT1WBBKG&keywords=auto+a/c+evaporator+cleaner&qid=1685810511&sprefix=auto+a/c+evaporator+cleaner,aps,440&sr=8-4
Is there a cabin air filter? If so, does anyone know where it is, and what part fits? I've been wondering for awhile - my R1T sometimes has an odor when the A/C is first turned on.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve had my R1S for about 2 mos and 2500 miles now. I’m now starting to get a dreaded smelly sock/ vinegar-y smell when operating the A/C. I have dealt with this in my Tesla Y and it’s a known issue with them but haven’t heard of it with rivian yet. Anyone else dealing with it or know the fix?
Might be time to have a talk with the other passengers riding in your R1 (j/k). I'd get a ticket in. It might sound like a small issue to others but you're the one living with it. Pls keep us posted. All the best.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yes, the cabin filter I believe is located under the plastic cowl cover. You take the vent cover off and there is a cabin air filter back there. I only know this because I saw a video showing 12v battery replacement and you can see a cabin filter in the video.

Certainly you can put in a ticket to have the smell addressed. I just know the procedure from dealing with it on the Tesla Y.

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

I had it on my R1T, found it was actually something in my frunk that was the smell. There is an intake vent in frunk. So I just added an air freshener to frunk and it took care of it.

Sponsored

mrodriguez

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, '23 R1S FG/FE/20" Dark
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I picked up my R1S on 4/1 and developed a smell around mid-May. I put in a ticket for a service visit already scheduled. I’ve been driving with windows down mostly now in the interim. It doesn’t seem as bad as it did at first but definitely not normal. Nothing in frunk or any other potential source.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I had it on my R1T, found it was actually something in my frunk that was the smell. There is an intake vent in frunk. So I just added an air freshener to frunk and it took care of it.
So you're saying the frunk isn't the spot for my dirty gym socks?

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, Tesla 3
Occupation
Inspector
I have same issue with mine. It's pretty normal in humid climates. Our Kia EV6 has a fan drying mode when you got out of the vehicle that I hope Rivian could add one day. It works great!

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
I have same issue with mine. It's pretty normal in humid climates. Our Kia EV6 has a fan drying mode when you got out of the vehicle that I hope Rivian could add one day. It works great!
That is pretty cool.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Your frunk seal is defective.
Sponsored