Sponsored

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Eh, I think it is one of those things that could really cause a lot of headaches.

First, you definitely don't want it to be a permanent HD in the vehicle that is a pain to replace because of the nature of the read/write cycles wearing it out. If you had a permanent solution it would also be a pain to get stuff off of it. That is, it would be nice to have your phone get the items off of it via wifi and maybe that is a future feature based on what the app shows, but it would be a necessary feature to use the dashcam.

Second, if you put in an SD card slot or something, now it is something else you need to maintain and replace and when it dies it will render the whole dashcam non-functional. There is a reason Tesla and most other car makers don't fool with this hardware.
I'm not asking for a permanent hard drive, as mentioned, I get memory fails.

If the USB-C port in the console fails doesn't it too render the operation non-functional? Everything has failure rates, are high quality SD card readers that much different than an USB-C port (honestly don't know that answer)? I do like the idea of getting it to wirelessly transer to another storage source like our phones.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 23 Sienna
Occupation
Retired
I updated the first post with some of the suggestions here. I don't have time to maintain the whole thing like a wiki though. I imagine by next week we will be posting photos of installs.

I think I'm going to go with:
  • Extreme SD card
  • Anker cable
  • Anker card reader
Please let me know if you get the SD card reader to be detected. I tried this setup and it keeps saying please insert USB drive.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Please let me know if you get the SD card reader to be detected. I tried this setup and it keeps saying please insert USB drive.
hmm, that certainly changes things if it isn't recognizing. Are you sure the card was formatted with the correct file system type?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
So, what's the process to seeing if it's detected, and how does Rivian recommend it be formatted?

Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

So, what's the process to seeing if it's detected, and how does Rivian recommend it be formatted?
Not having the latest update, I can't speak to it all. That being said, here were the requirements to save GG video. I would say that they are still going to leverage either of those formats.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install 1681922980264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 23 Sienna
Occupation
Retired
I tried to transfer my gear guard videos to my USB-C adapter to microSD formatted as FAT32 as recommended, but whenever I try to transfer videos, it says please insert device. I tried both center USB-c ports. I also tried reformatting as NTFS, no luck. The adapter I used works fine in computer, should work the same.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Just waiting for update. More importantly, I want continuous, looping cam recording.

Side note: $129 for a 2TB pocket drive. For...the...win!!

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install 20230419_105601

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

On my drive it needed no formatting and created the folder (probably when I told it to copy a video).
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install Screenshot_20230419_100549_My Files

Not calling this the best or even final solution for me. I hadn't considered R/W cycles but I'll be watchful of its life span.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
On my drive it needed no formatting and created the folder (probably when I told it to copy a video).
Screenshot_20230419_100549_My Files.jpg

Not calling this the best or even final solution for me. I hadn't considered R/W cycles but I'll be watchful of its life span.
Wait, did you plug this into your phone and copied a video over? or you're just showing us what it looks like when plugged into your phone (after copying a video over when it was plugged into the Rivian?)

What's the process for plugging and seeing? I'm still waiting on the update, so I can't do any of that yet.

Sponsored

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I have a Fold 4 so I pulled the drive from my Rivian and stuck it onto my phone's usb-c port, opened my files, and there's the folder.

Wasn't positive this would work but glad to see it populated correctly.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have a bunch of T7 drives for various applications. I plan on using one as soon for this once I get the software update. Will be watching to see if anyone has issues with the T7s but otherwise, seems like a perfect fit.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Not sure what's the point of going for 1TB+ of storage for a dash cam. If you haven't bothered downloading a clip from continuous footage over the last year, what will make you want to do it two years later? This is not going to be 4K or 2K resolution, no need for the extra storage or throughput..

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Not sure what's the point of going for 1TB+ of storage for a dash cam. If you haven't bothered downloading a clip from continuous footage over the last year, what will make you want to do it two years later? This is not going to be 4K or 2K resolution, no need for the extra storage or throughput..
As others have already said, the larger the drive the higher the TBW or total bytes written for the drive. The smaller the drive the more write cycles each block on the drive will experience and will fail in a shorter time than a larger drive. With Rivian recording 5 cameras it will likely make a difference. If you look at the write cycle specs for even the high endurance micro SD cards they are looking at only one video stream with relatively low bitrate.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Screenshot_20230419_100549_My Files.jpg

Well, I was leaning towards the SD card solution, but until someone confirms it works this might be the way I go with the Samsung C drive.
Sponsored