First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I think you're right. After a long drive last week in which my phone was on the charging pad the entire time, I was surprised to see the battery at 70% instead of the expected 100%.

The phone (iPhone 12 Pro) indicates that it is charging, but it looks like the power being transmitted is insufficient to actually charge it. When the pucks are directly plugged into the USB-C ports in the center console, the phone actually charges on them.

Damn, this cable actually doesn't work....

Apologies for anyone who took my bogus advice. I've edited my earlier post to indicate this.

Brian
Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I think you're right. After a long drive last week in which my phone was on the charging pad the entire time, I was surprised to see the battery at 70% instead of the expected 100%.

The phone (iPhone 12 Pro) indicates that it is charging, but it looks like the power being transmitted is insufficient to actually charge it. When the pucks are directly plugged into the USB-C ports in the center console, the phone actually charges on them.

Damn, this cable actually doesn't work....

Apologies for anyone who took my bogus advice. I've edited my earlier post to indicate this.

Brian
Ahh, thanks for the reply. I found another one on amazon I will give a try and report back if it works.

John

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Weird/stupid question - does this only work with the USB ports IN the console? or can it work from ANY USB port in the vehicle? Like, I know I'm not gonna have anyone in the 3rd row outside maybe 1-2 times a year, and they won't be curious little toddlers or whatever, so no one is going to mess with the USB ports back in the 3rd row, can I just throw the storage for this back there?

What about under the dash? Anything down there?

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I believe that only the ports in the center console are for data. The others are for charging only.

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Correct. If all you want to do is use a USB-C port for device charging, then any of them will work.

This thread is mainly about nice ways to add a USB drive for the dashcam functionality, in which case only the center console ports will work.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Correct. If all you want to do is use a USB-C port for device charging, then any of them will work.

This thread is mainly about nice ways to add a USB drive for the dashcam functionality, in which case only the center console ports will work.
Thanks, yeah I knew the gist of it, I just wasn't certain if it was explicitly required to use the center console. As @joelster pointed out, only the center console ports are wired for data - I wasn't sure if that was the case but it seems to be. That's actually a little disappointing honestly. Could definitely see use cases where it would be nice to pipe media into (or out of) the vehicle's entertainment system from other points inside. Dashcam being one of them, it would be great to have the storage not required to be in a potentially "high traffic" area with lots of opportunity to be knocked loose as things are put in or pulled out.

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
I got an old 500 GB portable storage device set up and it works fine. When I click the dashcam record button it records fine onto the device but only records for like 60 seconds or so. Is that what others are experiencing? Can you record a longer drive if you wanted to say a couple of minutes or even longer? I will say it's an old device so that might be the issue.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I got an old 500 GB portable storage device set up and it works fine. When I click the dashcam record button it records fine onto the device but only records for like 60 seconds or so. Is that what others are experiencing? Can you record a longer drive if you wanted to say a couple of minutes or even longer? I will say it's an old device so that might be the issue.
That button records 2 minutes. The longer drive (i.e. the entire drive plus while stopped but still in the vehicle) is still recorded but can't be viewed in the vehicle; it must be viewed on an external device.

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
That button records 2 minutes. The longer drive (i.e. the entire drive plus while stopped but still in the vehicle) is still recorded but can't be viewed in the vehicle; it must be viewed on an external device.
Thanks for clarifying!

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
I haven't tried removing it yet lol. I like the idea that if catches on something being taken out or put in the cubby it will just disconnect the magnet instead of breaking something. It was also the only right angle usb-c to usb-a adapter that would sit flush that I could find.
Question here: Is there more heat from an SD card on a USB-A than from a USB-C? Other than the fact that you might already have the USB-A reader, why go from C to A? (the same 90 degree adapter is available in C to C).

Is that magnetic attachment sufficient to stay connected in an impact situation? Consider that there might be loose items banging around in the "cavern". If the wreck is "still happening", it might be advantageous to have ongoing video for as long as otherwise possible. I can see the advantage of magnetic if you're using a cable and remotely mounted SSD, but it seems like the chance of disruption of the normal plugged-in 90 degree connector is minimal. If you're worried about the Glock or something heavy sliding into it, it wouldn't be hard to "cage" it with something that wouldn't interfere with air flow.

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
Here is my setup that works perfect. USB C and USB A for quick viewing on the PC. Used a Sandisk MAX Endurance 256gb micro SD card and of course, the 90 degree right angle to keep the adapter flush to the console wall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07416LQVM Kingston duo usb c/usb A microsd adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Adapter-Connector-Extender-MacBook/dp/B0BNMDRWR6 usb C 90 degree adapter
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Security/dp/B084CJJRBW SanDisk max endurance 256 gb microsd card

or you could get the Samsung Pro endurance 256gb card for $29.99
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Endurance-MicroSDXC-Adapter-security/dp/B09WB3D5GQ

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG-4984

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG-4985

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG-4986

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

What am I doing wrong? Got all new stuff from recommendations here and my truck doesn’t even recognize that I’ve plugged anything in. When I hit the button to setup drive cam
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install C29493F7-7386-4AC2-8DA6-DFF3AE7DC4CC
This pops up and then eventually goes away and nothing else. I’ve tried both usbc ports and eliminated the right angle adapter without luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
What am I doing wrong? Got all new stuff from recommendations here and my truck doesn’t even recognize that I’ve plugged anything in. When I hit the button to setup drive cam
C29493F7-7386-4AC2-8DA6-DFF3AE7DC4CC.jpeg
This pops up and then eventually goes away and nothing else. I’ve tried both usbc ports and eliminated the right angle adapter without luck. Any advice would be appreciated.
What storage device are you using? Did it ask you to format the device when you first plugged it in?
Sponsored