kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Does anyone else feel like this is probably the easiest information they could publish as I'd imagine service on a brand new BEV is more so a 2022 issue going forward.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Does anyone else feel like this is probably the easiest information they could publish as I'd imagine service on a brand new BEV is more so a 2022 issue going forward.
Not for a brand new ground up design from a brand new manufacturer. Early adopters need to know they have service to address initial kinks that are sure to be there.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'd imagine some early adopters of the launch edition may experience some issues that they would like resolved prior to 2022 haha. However, id agree that for the most part, most early adopters, won't require servicing their rivian until after 2022.

RJ was on a podcast a while back, and he talked about the challenges of launching a new product in regards to the service side. Lots of capital expenditures in order to cover the geographic area of the vehicles release to satisfy prospective buyers, but not really any service revenue coming in until the vehicles hit post warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
The service program will affect the value of the vehicles we buy. Just another variable in the equation.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The service program will affect the value of the vehicles we buy. Just another variable in the equation.
Having an Alfa, this makes sense now ?. Thanks for the perspective haha

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Having an Alfa, this makes sense now ?. Thanks for the perspective haha
Well said, not all manufacturers can turn unreliability into a signature feature like Alfa Romeo.

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Well said, not all manufacturers can turn unreliability into a signature feature like Alpha Romeo.
Alfa* ? sorry pet peeve of mine.

Surprisingly with me owning 5 years snd 40k miles of it 1k track abused miles I've have no issues that wasn't a dealership fix away. I run the North American group and can't say the same for everybody though.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

Sneaky2Toes

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I don't know why Rivian doesn't partner with Ford for service and "sales" This gives them access to existing infrastructure and they avoid the lawsuits about direct to consumer sales. All they would need is a kiosk with pamphlets in the store......

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't know why Rivian doesn't partner with Ford for service and "sales" This gives them access to existing infrastructure and they avoid the lawsuits about direct to consumer sales. All they would need is a kiosk with pamphlets in the store......
I hope they don't. Although I understand why some people would think that the quantity of Ford service centers would be a benefit, Ford has an atrocious reputation for service, and a LOT of people considering Rivian would never buy a Ford (yes, I understand some of you would, anyway). I know Ford has some equity in Rivian, but if Rivian allows Ford to become too heavily involved then that will only damage Rivian's desire to be considered "premium".

Even Hyundai learned this lesson with Genesis. Originally, they were sold alongside Elantras and Sonatas at Hyundai dealers and serviced at the same service centers. Customers hated it, and were extremely vocal about that fact. Now Hyundai is going the extra mile (and expense) to split their dealerships to make the experiences distinct.

Having to take my Rivian to a Ford dealer would significantly temper my desire for a Rivian.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I hope they don't. Although I understand why some people would think that the quantity of Ford service centers would be a benefit, Ford has an atrocious reputation for service, and a LOT of people considering Rivian would never buy a Ford (yes, I understand some of you would, anyway). I know Ford has some equity in Rivian, but if Rivian allows Ford to become too heavily involved then that will only damage Rivian's desire to be considered "premium".

Even Hyundai learned this lesson with Genesis. Originally, they were sold alongside Elantras and Sonatas at Hyundai dealers and serviced at the same service centers. Customers hated it, and were extremely vocal about that fact. Now Hyundai is going the extra mile (and expense) to split their dealerships to make the experiences distinct.

Having to take my Rivian to a Ford dealer would significantly temper my desire for a Rivian.
Agreed. And I sure as heck would never set foot inside a Ford dealership and deal with their sales team in order to purchase a Rivian - I want no part of that experience. And I greatly prefer the anticipated "white glove" approach to service that Rivian is expected to announce this week.

Sneaky2Toes

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee

I agree with you. I am not a fan of Ford either. The hope is that these vehicles would need such little maintenance that one would never/rarely have to use them for service. If I could order online and pick one up at the local Ford dealership...I would be fine with that.
Sponsored