Sponsored

Screeching / Grinding Sound from Front End of Car?

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
We’ve had our R1S for six months without any trouble, but just encountered a terrible sound coming from the front end of car. We were driving around on residential streets and suddenly it sounded as if the front axle was twisting and breaking. I inspected the wheels and brakes and didn’t see anything weird — the sound is the same on both sides, which makes me think it’s coming from the drive unit. I submitted a ticket and have an appointment for service. But does anyone have any idea what this might be? Video with sound here:
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That doesn't sound good 😖

I've not heard that before, but there are multiple folks here who have had drive units replaced so hopefully they can add their experiences.

I hope they get you taken care of quickly, whatever that is....

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Man-rough noise for sure.
I’m a bit surprised it isn’t throwing any errors.
Good luck!

OP
OP

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
Yeah — weird that there are no error codes! I hope it’s a rock in the dust guard! Is that something I can investigate myself?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah — weird that there are no error codes! I hope it’s a rock in the dust guard! Is that something I can investigate myself?
Yes, have someone drive the vehicle at low speed in your driveway, walk next to it to determine which side the sound is originating from, then with more testing isolate the sound to one particular wheel, then jack it up and pull that tire and find/remove the pebble. It's happened to me before, it's easy to isolate and fix.

Good luck!

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Best case (which I would try to eliminate on my own) is that you have a small stone in your brake carrier rubbing against your brake disc. Those *do* sound much worse than they are, but will persist until you remove it.

As @NY_Rob mentioned, I'd have someone else drive (slowly) while you walk next to the vehicle and try to ascertain exactly where it's coming from. If it's closer to the wheel, take your wheel and tire off and start looking EVERYWHERE with a flashlight. Clues would be obvious signs of metal scratching/etching.

Good luck--I hope it's innocuous! However to note: If you can't immediately identify what's going on, I'd park the truck and call Rivian. If it is bad, it will only get worse by continuing to use the vehicle.

OP
OP

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
Thanks, everyone for the replies. I tried to figure out where the sound was coming from while someone else drove it, but I couldn't isolate the sound to one side. Then the sound went away and we wondered if it was OK, but then I heard a different sound which sounded like a bike chain breaking. So I parked the car and called Rivian . The car is now at the service center. I'll report back. Thanks again for the tips.

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
Thanks, everyone for the replies. I tried to figure out where the sound was coming from while someone else drove it, but I couldn't isolate the sound to one side. Then the sound went away and we wondered if it was OK, but then I heard a different sound which sounded like a bike chain breaking. So I parked the car and called Rivian . The car is now at the service center. I'll report back. Thanks again for the tips.
What was your issue? What did they diagnose? I had the same thin happen.

OP
OP

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
Just to close this out, the service center diagnosed the issue. The front wheel hub fastener had backed out and was making contact with (and damaging) the halfshaft. They replaced the hub and halfshaft and everything is working normally again. Hope no one else has this issue. It sounded terrible.
Sponsored