• Total voters

Nikhiluor

First Name
Nikhil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Gas at $4.05/gallon yesterday and PG&E charging me $.49/kw - it's officially cheaper to drive my Wrangler than my Rivian. Sad state of affairs out here in CA.
I agree…PG&E is looting residential customers specially if you have high electricity usage. Check suitable plan from PG&E, should cost you .36 per KW …additionally use Grid app which can help you to optimize charging
Sponsored

Scrambler

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Launch Green R1S, 2023 MINI Cooper SE
Now compare the Mini to a similar size EV like a Leaf or Bolt.
Or compare it to an electric Mini. Over the past year, I’m at 1.6 cents per mile for charging my Cooper SE. That’s with $0.125/kWh (including taxes and fees) at home, free level 2 charging around town, and 4 DC charging sessions on a short road trip.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I’d suggest that the ranges in your poll are too wide… I pay just over $0.11/kWh, that’s a lot different than the “high end” of my bracket at $0.20.

Also suggest you add an option to note if you have Solar to further offset the cost.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I sold my Rivian last month for the same reason. I bought a Canyon AT4. While that truck is not in the same class as the Rivian, I figure I'm spending $200 less on gas than electricity, $250 on payment, $20 on insurance and registration is $600 cheaper.
I'd have a hard time getting rid of this truck because of how great the product is. However, it aint cheap for sure in CA.

Annual, mostly fixed costs:
Insurance: $3200
Tires: $1400-1800 (C'mon Michelin!)

So just to operate we're talking roughly ~6k or so per year before electricity, etc. Tag on depreciation and I'm guessing that hits roughly 10k per year.

My next promotion at works comes with a company car, so if they offer that it will be hard turn away at 10k cost savings!

Reed1T

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My rivian is costing about double what my old car cost me.

To be fair, it was a model 3 and about 2x as efficient. This wasn’t unexpected.

Where we live, we would be paying equivalent of $5.57 for premium fuel in a nice SUV or truck. Meanwhile, we are paying an equivalent of about 0.11c for electricity. The savings are pretty massive for us to be electric here. (Vancouver BC)

All that being said, the truck wasn’t cheap, but I would have spent similarly on something else with similar performance, so that doesn’t really apply.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
I understand. That still means you came up with a total electrical need per day and spec'd your system for that. (Hopefully you didn't overbuild your system so much that you can still be net positive even after adding the EV.)
So, do the math for us, how much energy does it supply per year, time the number of years you expect it to last. Divide the total cost by that number of kWhs. The additional consumption of the EV just means the panel will breakeven sooner.

Anyway, I'm genuinely curious.
Here in Oregon, with cheap hydro power and lots of clouds, solar panels take a long time to pay off, though shorter with 2 EVs in our house. Still haven't decided to jump in yet.
So I paid 40k for my solar panel in 2017 (probably would be 30k these days).; got a 30% tax credit so let's say 30k,

I produce about 13,000 kWh per year so after 20 years my cost per kWh is about 15c. or 10c after 30 years.

it's slightly cheaper than the 20c I pay from the utility co. but I did not factor the cost of money for the system (I get 5 percent on saving account today; vs back them close to zero)
Sponsored