First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
We definitely aren't saving that much money buying a Rivian lol
cost savings.jpg
we’re not saving anything paying $2000 a year for tires that last 3x as long in any other vehicle but we can do 0-60 in 3 seconds which matters more to me than saving money or whatever
Sponsored

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
Free, i have solar and charge when I am at work.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
If you can charge at home, especially off solar, and also at work (often free) then yes, any EV is going to have lower 'fuel' costs. Now how about we factor in:
- using public chargers (vs $3 national avg. gas price)
- the TIME you waste and the hassle factor of public charging
- higher insurance costs, tire wear (offsetting lower maintenance like oil changes)
- generally higher LFL cost of ICE vs EV
- higher costs when out of warranty

Just saying.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Now compare the Mini to a similar size EV like a Leaf or Bolt.

Then compare the Rivian to a roughly comparable sized gas vehicle. Maybe a 4Runner or something similar.

The Rivian still won’t be a major financial win. The upfront costs are still pretty high compared to the ongoing operating savings.

And I’m really glad I left CA I did. I knew PG&E had gotten ridiculous, but I didn’t appreciate by how much.

BFNMichigan

First Name
Gaston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self-employed
Clubs

Unreal!

Here are the prices in Ontario - I do most of charging during the 2.8 cents window... And that's 2.8 cents Canadian!

Ultra-Low OvernightEvery day 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. 2.8 Cents

Weekend Off-PeakWeekends and holidays 7 a.m. – 11 p.m. 8.7 Cents

Mid-PeakWeekdays 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. 12.2 Cents

On-PeakWeekdays 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. 28.6 Cents

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I do spend more on tires but I am certainly not getting half the miles much less the 1/3 the mileage like people are saying they get 2 or 3 times more miles on their ICE vehicles.

I’ve had a Tesla for going on 8 years, get between 25k and 30k on those tires, compared to previous cars where I would get 40k to 45k on a set.

Replaced a Jeep GC with my R1S, the Jeep I was getting 40k on the tires, the R1S I’m almost at 14k on my 22s and on track to get between 25k and 30k.

Worth noting as well on the Tesla I usually replace the tires with tires that have a tread warrenty so I get credit towards a new set for some of that excessive wear.

As others have previously Stated though, no one is spending north of 75k on a vehicle expecting to save money. Everything associated with more expensive vehicles, taxes, registration, insurance, maintenance, and depreciation are impacted by more expensive vehicles. I just do not see any way a cost justification to purchase an R1 would ever prove to be positive.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

My work installed chargers so i'm free unless traveling.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
do spend more on tires but I am certainly not getting half the miles much less the 1/3 the mileage like people are saying they get 2 or 3 times more miles on their ICE vehicles.
I am going to get more mileage out of my R1S A/T than I ever get out of my Sienna.

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
We definitely aren't saving that much money buying a Rivian lol
cost savings.jpg
I drive about 35K/Y. My cost is about $0.10/Mile ... compared to my Tundra at $0.40/Mile I'm basically saving $10K a year on fuel and that not including oil changes and breaks....
Considering the heavy tow abilities (I tow heavy construction equipment) and carpool access its almost a free truck for me

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
NEM 3 in California will not be very beneficial at all, it's the reason new solar installations have plummeted. If you do install solar to offset charging costs, you'll most likely need battery installation. You'll also need to include those cost with your EV charging cost for a better comparison. Also, all those on the much more beneficial NEM1 or 2 will see dramatic energy cost increases when those sunset at some point.

Sponsored

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
My utility charges something like $0.25/kWh, but I have solar, the effective price of electricity is therefore something like $0.07/kWh, and now with the new TOU rules, I can probably get that down under $0.04/kWh.

The thing is, tires are expensive on my R1S, I'm expecting $0.04-0.08/mi for tires, or about 2-5x the price of charging.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

My work installed chargers so i'm free unless traveling.
Where do you all guys work that you get free charging?

Management where I work is completely against installing chargers, and the reason they gave me is it will put too much stress on electrical, it will trip the breakers for entire building.
Im not kidding, this is word for word what I was told.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Gas at $4.05/gallon yesterday and PG&E charging me $.49/kw - it's officially cheaper to drive my Wrangler than my Rivian. Sad state of affairs out here in CA.
Sucks. Socal Edison is terrible, but I'm only at $.22/KwH. Still highway robbery compared to most.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Gas at $4.05/gallon yesterday and PG&E charging me $.49/kw - it's officially cheaper to drive my Wrangler than my Rivian. Sad state of affairs out here in CA.
Sounds like time to install solar + battery storage given the high cost of electricity from your provider.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Where do you all guys work that you get free charging?

Management where I work is completely against installing chargers, and the reason they gave me is it will put too much stress on electrical, it will trip the breakers for entire building.
Im not kidding, this is word for word what I was told.
A single 100A circurit can support up to 5 EVs charging(1) at a rate which adds 10-12 mile/hour. Which sounds reasonable for an office, hotel, resort, etc.

1. Tesla Universal Wall connector $600-ish each. 4+ chargers qualifies the location for Tesla Commercial Charging services. $0.01 kWh administration cost to Tesla gets you lots of metrics on the charging, ability to set pay-per-use. Check your state, local, utility incentives to add EV charging to your workplace. Plus 30% IRS tax credits.
Sponsored