Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
Hi All,

I have a set of 20’s and am looking for a replacement A/T from the stock Pirelli tires.

I found the Nitto Recon Grapplers that are rated at 116T. I’m drawn to these vs the LT rated ones since they’re about the same weight as stock and want to minimize further range impact.

I know the speed rating is lower than the Pirelli's, but that’s fine with me as I don’t plan on going over 100.

The concern I have is that the max PSI on the Nitto’s is 44 vs 51 on the Pirelli’s. Is that something to be worried about with the weight of these trucks?

Rivian R1T R1S Safe to run 116 rated Nitto Recon AT? IMG_9098

Rivian R1T R1S Safe to run 116 rated Nitto Recon AT? IMG_9081
Sponsored

Last edited:

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Same load rating so probably.

Check the load rating at each pressure as each tire has a similar max load at a different max pressures (44 Nitto versus 51), so you'll definitely have to adjust. For example if you use 48 on the OEM, you can't on the Nitto as it exceeds max pressure by 10% (margin of error but don't). Probably 41-42, but there is a chart on the internet for each load rating.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yes 116 works.

That max tire pressure is probably wrong, look up those tires elsewhere. I've found those websites often put bad/mismatched info on, e.g. mine said 44 online but were really 51.

OP
OP

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
Same load rating so probably.

Check the load rating at each pressure as each tire has a similar max load at a different max pressures (44 Nitto versus 51), so you'll definitely have to adjust. For example if you use 48 on the OEM, you can't on the Nitto as it exceeds max pressure by 10% (margin of error but don't). Probably 41-42, but there is a chart on the internet for each load rating.
That makes sense, thank you. I wonder if that means the Nitto’s are “stiffer” tires and therefore match the Pirelli’s max load at a lower PSI.

OP
OP

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
Yes 116 works.

That max tire pressure is probably wrong, look up those tires elsewhere. I've found those websites often put bad/mismatched info on, e.g. mine said 44 online but were really 51.
I looked on Nitto’s site and it’s the same, 44psi max.

Besides what’s listed on tire rack, I was just trying to verify the weight of the Pirelli's, but it’s very hard to find info on them since their website doesn’t have any specs info.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Besides what’s listed on tire rack, I was just trying to verify the weight of the Pirelli's, but it’s very hard to find info on them since their website doesn’t have any specs info.
If so, I'd avoid. With the weight of the Rivian, though you'll be safe, it'll just squish it more to run it at like 41psi and get worse efficiencies. Also noisier if I had to guess.

OilfieldR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Tundra, 23 R1T
Clubs

I replaced my stock 21s with 20” Nitto Ridge Grapplers with the same 116T rating at 45psi. I haven’t noticed any unusual wear or decrease in ride quality and haven’t had any issues and I’ve been on some really sketchy forestry and oilfield roads while with no issues so far.

That may have included some excessive speed testing of the rally mode at 100mph, really can’t encourage that though.

pnwr1s

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S | Black on black on black | 20” ATs
I replaced my stock 21s with 20” Nitto Ridge Grapplers with the same 116T rating at 45psi. I haven’t noticed any unusual wear or decrease in ride quality and haven’t had any issues and I’ve been on some really sketchy forestry and oilfield roads while with no issues so far.

That may have included some excessive speed testing of the rally mode at 100mph, really can’t encourage that though.
Ridge grapplers or recon? I wasn’t aware if an SL load recon grappler.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Safe to run 116 rated Nitto Recon AT? Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.49.32 AM

I switched from 21's so I am running the 275/60r20 tires with a max psi of 50 and running them at 48 cold. They are cool looking tires! Efficiency sucks tho.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I have a friend who bought some Arturro's who has a similar quirk. The same model of tire in different sizes was higher PSI, and this was the only one. As long as it's rated for the weight I think it would be fine, but the lower tire pressure will eat away at efficiency.

OP
OP

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
I have a friend who bought some Arturro's who has a similar quirk. The same model of tire in different sizes was higher PSI, and this was the only one. As long as it's rated for the weight I think it would be fine, but the lower tire pressure will eat away at efficiency.
Yeah I’m torn because the Recon’s in 116T SL are 10 lbs lighter than the E rated, but with the lower max PSI on the 116’s would the efficiency end up being the same as the E? It’s a tough call

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah I’m torn because the Recon’s in 116T SL are 10 lbs lighter than the E rated, but with the lower max PSI on the 116’s would the efficiency end up being the same as the E? It’s a tough call
The weight doesn't matter as much as people think, particularly when you're going a constant speed. I'd guess your efficiency would be better with the E rated at a higher psi. That being said, it's going to suck with Recons either way.

OP
OP

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
The weight doesn't matter as much as people think, particularly when you're going a constant speed. I'd guess your efficiency would be better with the E rated at a higher psi. That being said, it's going to suck with Recons either way.
Good to know, thank you. I was leaning towards E for the reason of higher PSI. Are you saying Recon’s specifically have bad efficiency or just an A/T setup in general?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Good to know, thank you. I was leaning towards E for the reason of higher PSI. Are you saying Recon’s specifically have bad efficiency or just an A/T setup in general?
The general feedback I've heard is the tread design of Recons is pretty poor with respect to efficiency.

FWIW, Toyo has an EV AT coming out early next year.
Sponsored