RTT fitment on the truck

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Hi folks - I’ve finally committed to getting a rooftop tent, and wanted to see if what your favorites were.

The goal is to be very comfortable for 3 with the option for 4 ppl. Will definitely want the annex so there’s a place for the dog.

I’ve not yet been able to find anything in the 64” range, seems to be the longest someone could go without extending beyond the tailgate center bulge. The Smittybuilt XL is 76” so would stick out quite a ways, but seems to be a decent option (as an example).

Has anyone gone past that length and had some overhang past the tailgate? I’m planning on using the standard Rivian rails over the bed, vs. going on the roof or getting roof-height bed racks (at least, not yet).
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just commenting to confirm your measurements - ours is 60" when packaged up and is about the limit without extending over the end of the truck(giving a couple inches of clearance for the spoiler). At this size more than 2 would be pretty tight. 2 and a dog or young kid would be alright.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
We have been using a 23Zero Walkabout 72 for the last couple years, and I would say that's comfortable for 3, and I guess you could squeeze 4 if you wanted to get cozy, but I don't think I would. That's a pretty big tent to be putting over the bed, and not something I have tried (we have a trailer it sits on now, although it was on the roof of our Lexus LX originally). There is a 62" version, but we had a chance to climb into it (me, wife, child) and it was too small to be an option for us (and for reference, we are all thin by modern American standards).

Keep in mind these larger tents will have spacing requirements for where the crossbars need to be, and as the tent gets larger, you'll be more off-centered. Whichever tent you choose, you may want to double check that before placing an order.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Just commenting to confirm your measurements - ours is 60" when packaged up and is about the limit without extending over the end of the truck(giving a couple inches of clearance for the spoiler). At this size more than 2 would be pretty tight. 2 and a dog or young kid would be alright.
This goes to show how much of a n00b I am with RTTs. I wasn’t even thinking of the spoiler clearance. Thank you!

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Which one did you choose?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Which one did you choose?
We got the Freespirit Recreation High Country 55. Our primary requirements were simple (nothing to get blown around in high wind), suitable for winter (this one has insulated walls, no flimsy awnings), and quick to set up (it probably takes 3 minutes to have the tent 'deployed').

We are pretty happy with it. It is pretty heavy but works well for my wife and I, fits on the truck well and we don't see a range hit.
Sponsored