Sponsored

Routing onto a closed highway

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Today the Rivian nav. attempted to route me into a highway which was scheduled to be closed (and was, in fact, closed) the entire weekend (Friday night through Monday morning).

It’s not great.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

A couple years back I had waze do that to me, but when I followed the automatic reroute it ended up putting me onto the highway just before the closure... When I got off it rerouted again the same way.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

Rivian nav is actually trash, routed me across a closed highway (with a [-] symbol on it even??) earlier today, costing me 20 precious minutes of my Very Important Life as I had to turn around and drive through the shitscape that is bellevue, wa to get back home.

It sucks at traffic guessing too, though, and it sucks at saving inputs ("do not take me across this awful bridge you always fuck this up") or whatever.

Crazy that they'd not allow Android Auto, but would use... Alexa? Just a total ball drop.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You didn't know 520 was closed? A planned outage that was heavily publicized? Seriously? I mean I assume that's what you're talking about, given the location. Complain all you want about the Rivian nav, but take some responsibility for your own actions too - no one I know went anywhere near 520 this weekend. There are enough problems in this world already, you don't need to be creating more for yourself.

IMO people have way too much faith in navigation and follow it blindly even when it's giving them poor advice. GPS is just a tool, and like any tool if you don't use it wisely you can get hurt.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
You didn't know 520 was closed? A planned outage that was heavily publicized? Seriously? I mean I assume that's what you're talking about, given the location. Complain all you want about the Rivian nav, but take some responsibility for your own actions too - no one I know went anywhere near 520 this weekend. There are enough problems in this world already, you don't need to be creating more for yourself.

IMO people have way too much faith in navigation and follow it blindly even when it's giving them poor advice. GPS is just a tool, and like any tool if you don't use it wisely you can get hurt.
I’d guess the frequency of which you use 520 influences how much attention you give it’s closure… I use 520 very rarely and don’t pay any attention to it, for example.

I happened to go to the arboretum on Sunday with the kids and it did surprise me the Lake Washington E. Closure north of the foster island parking area wasn’t even marked in the Google Maps app.

Sponsored

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

What media was I not paying enough attention to to miss that notification? 👀 Some folks just aren't in the area that often.

I’d guess the frequency of which you use 520 influences how much attention you give it’s closure… I use 520 very rarely and don’t pay any attention to it, for example.
Just so.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Yea, I rarely know when they are closing the highways around here too, both because I don't pay attention and because they don't always plan or announce them well. I've gotten caught a few times.

I've also gotten caught in unexpected closures, like the one on 90 a few months back that came out of nowhere because someone damaged the bridge, or the one a few weeks back where someone spilled something all over 405. Both times I was trying to drive through there, both times the nav in the truck didn't help and the re-routing was less than helpful. I'm not too plussed about it though - google maps didn't show me anything differently, and this isn't a common enough occurrence for me to care to solve it with some other tool.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Some people have faith in GPS navigation because it works properly on other platforms (Google, Apple, Waze).

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
You didn't know 520 was closed?
What has that got to do with it?

This post is about a navigation system failing at its basic function -- "Where should you drive?" We have an on-ramp nearby that has been closed for weeks. The Rivian wants to take it every time. Kia? Nope. BMW? Nope. Apple? Nope. Google? Nope. But the Rivian...

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
The infotainment as a whole is very pretty, but needs a TON of work to be competitive.

Continues to ignore AA/CP which would solve all the problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Today the nav. attempted to route me into an expressway which was configured to run traffic in the opposite direction.

Rivian R1T R1S Routing onto a closed highway E1CA30CB-BCF2-4CD4-97B7-58006E1F5C78

Rivian R1T R1S Routing onto a closed highway 5C8A7F22-0A6D-4BDF-9DDF-EAB7B48BED2A

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
I don't think Android Auto would ever make that mistake. The information gathering is too good to allow that to happen often, if ever. The crowd sourcing of so many Android Auto users also gives the most up to date traffic data (slowdowns/accidents/re-routes) that Rivan cannot compare. Maybe CarPlay comes close.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
This isn't a Rivian issue, I have had every navigation service I've ever used do this to me at one point or another.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This isn't a Rivian issue, I have had every navigation service I've ever used do this to me at one point or another.
I can only speak for this one set of express lanes: I’ve never had Apple or Google maps make this mistake in this particular instance. I imagine that at one point this would happen regularly, but these services have tons of developers working on them and are constantly improving. I think the up to date location information from hundreds of millions of Android and Apple phones helps a lot.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Routing onto a closed highway IMG_20230128_082101

What media was I not paying enough attention to to miss that notification? 👀 Some folks just aren't in the area that often.
I'm mainly Kitsap/Mason now and even I knew about it.
All of the media. Seattle Times had it up for the whole week, any local news station evening clips mention it ( I accidently saw when turning my TV on before switching to Netflix), and I don't have them but I'm sure the facebooks and tweeters had it too.
Sponsored

Reactions: VSG