Roof options

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
I emailed customer service asking about when there would be more roof options and this was their response.

"Thanks for reaching out to Rivian! We are very excited about this next part of our adventure. The all-glass-panoramic roof comes on all our models.

We look forward to adding more roof features soon, including a removable open-air roof in 2022. We want the R1S to make adventures better for all, so we appreciate your feedback, as things can always change in the future! "

Anybody have any other details?
Sponsored

OP
OP

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
I emailed them about the roof options and mentioned that I may cancel my pre-order if there were not any other roof options

"Great question! If you would like to wait for additional options for the roof, feel free to do so! No need to cancel at this point. We'll announce when additional options are available for configuration. If you would prefer to cancel and place a preorder at a later date, we can absolutely do so! Please let us know. I hope this helps. Thanks for your support as a preorder holder! "

How about a solid roof to keep the interior cool during the summer heat of the southwest?

I could care less about a panoramic roof that heats the interior of the vehicle enough to bake cookies like my E63 wagon.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
How about a solid roof to keep the interior cool during the summer heat of the southwest?
I have never noticed a solid roof keeping a car cool during the heat of summer. The roof is going to make a marginal difference in how hot the car gets.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I can share what the customer support folks told me. You have much more newer information so this means that more options for the roof are gonna come in 2022.

My question:

1. Roof of R1S: I am hearing that the glass roof is going to be a plain tinted one and not photo-chromic. Is this true ? Apparently, there is no sliding cover like most SUVs (BMW, Toyota, Honda etc). I hope it is not true.
  • I ask this as I currently own a Tesla Model S with a glass top and on a sunny day in Seattle (~50 degrees) the cabin gets heated.
  • The Model S’ glass is tinted but that is not enough and I get severe headaches due to the heat hitting the head. I have put a fabric cover to shield myself from the heat !
  • For an adventure vehicle SUV, a plain tinted glass will not be sufficient for heat protection from my personal experience.
Rivian support team's response on 11/25.

Our roof is a panoramic glass with tinting optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out. Others have also asked if there will be a shade option, we're waiting for confirmation on that.

Sponsored

socaladam

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nocomment
I have never noticed a solid roof keeping a car cool during the heat of summer. The roof is going to make a marginal difference in how hot the car gets.
Where do you live? and have you ever owned a vehicle with a panoramic roof and nothing blocking the sun?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
It has a lot to do with where you live and where you park the car during the day. My current cars have normal sunroofs with sliding shades, and those shades make a huge difference, but I'm at almost 7000 ft in desert-like conditions most of the year.

With a panoramic roof having 5x the glass to allow sunlight in, I find the lack of roof options less than ideal.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Where do you live? and have you ever owned a vehicle with a panoramic roof and nothing blocking the sun?
I live in Southern California and have a metal roof on my vehicle. It gets very hot in the car when it is in the sun and air conditioning is not running. So, a metal roof is not going to magically make the car cool. It might or might not make it cooler.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I live in Southern California and have a metal roof on my vehicle. It gets very hot in the car when it is in the sun and air conditioning is not running. So, a metal roof is not going to magically make the car cool. It might or might not make it cooler.
Same. Grew up in a desert where 110+ days in the summer are frequent.

My cars growing up all had metal roofs (no sunroof or other glass at all) and the car was literally deadly inside after being parked in the sun for half an hour.

I still visit family/friends during those 110 days in my Model X - famously with tons and tons of glass, none of it shaded.

Once you reach the "deadly in 30m" threshold, it doesn't really matter if it's technically worse than the pure metal roof.

At least the Tesla - being an EV - has cabin overheat protection as an option.

I don't know whether or not Rivian has said they'll have something similar, but they should. Just one of many potential benefits to having an AC compressor available that doesn't require a running engine.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
You guys are comparing the wrong type of heat. I've lived in a low altitude desert, the average highs for days on end well over 100 (100% humidity to add to the misery), and I agree, the sunroof will make no difference.

Live at high altitude and it is completely different. The sun is stronger, UV radiation is more intense.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I still don't get why ALL EV companies who are all about range, handling, Low Center of Gravity would choose to make the roof a High Weight Made of Glass option. I am sure at some point its costing mileage and rigidity. Give me a Metal Roof with a small as sunroof or no sun roof any day to save on COG and Heat/Weight.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Looks like from the newest video there is a cover/slider shade installed
Rivian R1T R1S Roof options 6642EFDA-DF4D-4080-9105-32900151C324

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Looks like from the newest video there is a cover/slider shade installed
6642EFDA-DF4D-4080-9105-32900151C324.png
I'm not seeing it. I only see the headliner in the back. The interior light is reflecting off the glass part of the roof over the door.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

I'm not seeing it. I only see the headliner in the back. The interior light is reflecting off the glass part of the roof over the door.
Good point about the reflection. It just looked so dark compared to the side windows. I guess it’s just a deep tint then

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I still don't get why ALL EV companies who are all about range, handling, Low Center of Gravity would choose to make the roof a High Weight Made of Glass option. I am sure at some point its costing mileage and rigidity. Give me a Metal Roof with a small as sunroof or no sun roof any day to save on COG and Heat/Weight.
I believe this has something to do with the production process, something about it resulting in easier manufacturing from the standpoint that the welding machines can have better access to the inside of the car without a roof. adding a roof slows down production and the key to bringing prices down is higher output per hour. I believe that was Musks' answer to the same question a few years back with tesla
Sponsored