Sponsored

Rocky Mounts Track and Bike Mounts

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Camaro SS, 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Clubs

Thought I’d share a solution to carry my road bike or MTB that works for me. Don’t know if I’ve seen anyone with this same setup.

I don’t have the crossbars and wanted to find another solution that was similar to my existing bike mount solution which was just a 2x6 board with Boost and Quik release mounts for my bikes to mount to that I can just throw in the back of the bed when I needed it. But it wasn’t very stable.

Found the Rocky Mounts 47” track and their HotRod bike mounts that work in the track.

The beds existing bolt holes on the bottom of the cab side wall worked perfectly. The existing outside mounting holes on the 47” Track fit perfectly without modifications. The track is just the right size for the bed as well. I only made two extra holes in the track to secure the track to all 4 holes at the bottom.

The mounts can slide anywhere on the track, which is real nice.

Track: https://rockymounts.com/products/47-bolt-on-track.html

HotRod Mount: https://rockymounts.com/products/hotrod.html

Rivian R1T R1S Rocky Mounts Track and Bike Mounts IMG_4509
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That’s a slick and simple solution. I’ve used the hot rod with a similar setup to your 2x6 solution in the back of a Honda Element. Really versatile mount.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!I was thinking of doing this exact thing but with a piece of 8020. Did not realize rocky mounts had a solution.

what size fasteners did you use?

OP
OP
R1T311

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!I was thinking of doing this exact thing but with a piece of 8020. Did not realize rocky mounts had a solution.

what size fasteners did you use?
The included M6 Allen bolts that come with the track work perfect surprisingly.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

Also really nice that the hole patterns align!

Sponsored

Crosser3

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2017 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Remediation Engineer
Thought I’d share a solution to carry my road bike or MTB that works for me. Don’t know if I’ve seen anyone with this same setup.

I don’t have the crossbars and wanted to find another solution that was similar to my existing bike mount solution which was just a 2x6 board with Boost and Quik release mounts for my bikes to mount to that I can just throw in the back of the bed when I needed it. But it wasn’t very stable.

Found the Rocky Mounts 47” track and their HotRod bike mounts that work in the track.

The beds existing bolt holes on the bottom of the cab side wall worked perfectly. The existing outside mounting holes on the 47” Track fit perfectly without modifications. The track is just the right size for the bed as well. I only made two extra holes in the track to secure the track to all 4 holes at the bottom.

IMG_4509.jpeg
Can you upload some pics with the bikes? What's the clearance at the tailgate?

OP
OP
R1T311

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Can you upload some pics with the bikes? What's the clearance at the tailgate?
Here is my Giant Trance X 29er (XL size) with tailgate up and down.

Rivian R1T R1S Rocky Mounts Track and Bike Mounts IMG_4513

Rivian R1T R1S Rocky Mounts Track and Bike Mounts IMG_4512

Ahan92

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, outback
Clubs

I was wondering if you considered mounting the rail toward the top of the bed using the upper mount points and if that would/wouldn't work. I was thinking that might make it easier getting the bike in.

OP
OP
R1T311

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was wondering if you considered mounting the rail toward the top of the bed using the upper mount points and if that would/wouldn't work. I was thinking that might make it easier getting the bike in.
That should work as well and if I need to throw more than two bikes in the back I’d buy another rail and Mount two up there.

Also figured for truck aero purposes I’d keep it down low. Also made me think that being down lower it kept a lower profile and not stand out as much for thieves.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

IMG_4509.jpeg
Is this still working out for you?

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1T311

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is this still working out for you?
Yeah just last weekend used it two haul two bikes down to Bentonville AR from Iowa.

Only real mod needed is for my road bike. The handle bars touch the rear truck window so I put a 3/4 inch piece of wood between the Rocky Mount and the track as a spacer of sort to move the bike back just enough to clear. Even this wouldn’t be necessary if I mounted the track to the upper holes in the bed, but wanted the bikes to sit lower.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

Yeah just last weekend used it two haul two bikes down to Bentonville AR from Iowa.

Only real mod needed is for my road bike. The handle bars touch the rear truck window so I put a 3/4 inch piece of wood between the Rocky Mount and the track as a spacer of sort to move the bike back just enough to clear. Even this wouldn’t be necessary if I mounted the track to the upper holes in the bed, but wanted the bikes to sit lower.
Good point about the handle bars. I’ll have to measure it out but I think I’ll go for this option anyway. Thanks!
Sponsored