onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

I just had my front camera replaced under warranty (it was full of water). My invoice listed 1.5hrs in labor to R&R the camera. Even at an assumed shop rate of $300/hour that's a very expense camera unit.
From what I remember the explanation for high price is that the front bumper needs to be completely removed and new camera "calibrated" to the car.
For now I'm gonna order a bunch of products off Amazon and see what works.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
First - auch! $1500 for a new camera is insane!
As for how to protect it - we don't currently work with any optics but you can ask @AO_Pete from AbstractOcean- they recently released something similar for Tesla, perhaps they can make it for Rivian too? I think the main purpose was to be hydrophobic but it still doubles as a protection too.
Hmm. Will look at what options we have. S & X are next on the list, but you're right, it would prevent this kind of issue, and help keep it clean. I really need an assembly though, and sounds like it's a huge job to remove it :-/ PPF is no good for something like this, it's not clear enough. You might be able to get it to mold to the curvature of the lens, but even that would be a pain.

@SACDFJC I don't suppose they gave you the old unit?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Does anyone know if windshield fix-a-crack products will work in this case? I don't really want to shell out $1500 for a $3 piece of camera lens.
Depends on what you mean by fix. Fill the void, yes. Restore optical quality, no.

Sponsored

OP
OP
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Keep us posted please! Thanks for the link with the camera shield.
$1500 buys a lot of GoPros and duct tape... Or a midrange DSLR

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i ordered the Miller eclipse lens protectors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPSF4YSZ) and have had them on from day one because i thought it might be some ridiculous price to replace them.

they only fit on the larger camera lenses on the R1 i forget which ones but the front and back main ones they do fit pretty nicely. so far they have stayed on (but only been 1 month).

might be the best $8 i spent on the vehicle. even if i have to replace them a few times a year, it'll be totally worth it.

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
i ordered the Miller eclipse lens protectors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPSF4YSZ) and have had them on from day one because i thought it might be some ridiculous price to replace them.

they only fit on the larger camera lenses on the R1 i forget which ones but the front and back main ones they do fit pretty nicely. so far they have stayed on (but only been 1 month).

might be the best $8 i spent on the vehicle. even if i have to replace them a few times a year, it'll be totally worth it.
How about clarity?

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Definitely keep us notified of the quality and durability.

Sponsored

OP
OP
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

So quick update. Definitely protect your cameras, the small specs isn't dust, it's all tiny chips. This will become a big issue once there are more trucks on the roads
Windshield repair kit isn't working too well so far because it requires pressure to drive resin into the crack/chip and can't do that on tiny lens. Right now trying to just put a layer of resin and then polish it out.

Also the camera appears to be a part of the entire grille with fog lights and everything, which is probably why it cost so much to replace. Disregard, it's separate assembly.

Rivian R1T R1S Rock chip on front bumper camera 20230427_133351

Rivian R1T R1S Rock chip on front bumper camera 20230427_135040

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

How about clarity?
hmmm, good question. since i had them on since the very beginning, i wouldn't be a good person to judge the clarity. that being said, the images/video look fine to me. i dont notice any distortion.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
yeah, I just went to poke around my front camera. The plastic is for sure part of the grill. The camera itself does seem to be mounted, there's a tiny bit of movement if I push it around, and I can feel some foam behind it (presumably wrapping the cables to the camera). Need a mini version of this.

Rivian R1T R1S Rock chip on front bumper camera 1682621774893

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Let us know if you find any other solutions. I have a similar chip - doesn't annoy me enough to pay $1500, but it's definitely visible.

OP
OP
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Let us know if you find any other solutions. I have a similar chip - doesn't annoy me enough to pay $1500, but it's definitely visible.
It's been raining for past few days so nothing new. The RainX windshield thing didn't work or made it even worse like someone said.
Sponsored