Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Will my kids need a ladder to get in and out when we drop them off at school?
How practical will this SUV be as a comfortable A to B city transportation machine?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How practical will this SUV be as a comfortable A to B city transportation machine?
Only if you stick them on the roof Romney style.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So cool, I like hearing the different wheels getting traction
Technically, what you hear is the wheels losing traction…. ?

lambo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Kia Niro EV
Occupation
Software
Any guesses as to the degree of that incline?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Nope. Noooope. That would creep me the hell out.

Editorial side note: They figured out how to shove a kitchen into a tube behind a truck cab, but their best tire carrying solution on an SUV is to tie it down to a roof rack with a tow strap? Seems like a missed opportunity for an accessory at a minimum.
I was going to ask if the optional spare tire "package" would include the roof rack! Or if that is required in order to add on the spare. :giggle:

GR

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Air suspension. Lowest setting. Will be fine.

if you’re really worried about getting the kids around, get something with sliding doors.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Air suspension. Lowest setting. Will be fine.

if you’re really worried about getting the kids around, get something with sliding doors.
Yup sliding doors would be good too. But no EV sliding door vehicles. Chevy pacifa hybrid comes closest.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
According to the initial Rivian spec sheet that was floating around the internet back when Rivian revealed, the lowest (of four) vehicle heights is referred to as kneel/park mode. There may have been some adjustments to these specs (and names) since then but here are the height / ground clearance settings (converted to inches) for each mode from that Rivian spec sheet:

R1T / R1S
Kneel/Park ................... 7.9" / 8.9"
Aero Curb Mode .............. 9.4" / 9.6"
Standard Curb Mode ..... 11" / 11.2"
Off Road .............................. 14.2" / 14.4"

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I don't know where "Hell's Pass" is in Moab. I suspect he really meant "Hell's Revenge".

That video is really not that impressive. Steep climbs like that look really scary but in fact they're easy. It's all about traction and approach/departure angle. If you can get started on the climb without smashing your bumpers and your tires don't slip then all it takes is a steady throttle and faith that there's somewhere to go at the top. A LITTLE momentum helps get over little bumps. The maximum slope one can climb is, theoretically, just determined by the angle between the rear wheel contact patch and the center of gravity. But it's very unusual to find a climb anywhere near that limit. You lose traction first. What's fun about Moab is that the rock there is extremely grippy: you can climb slopes there higher than usual.

I've climbed many of the hills in Moab with my Jeep. It has a MUCH higher center of gravity than the Rivian. I expect Rivian to be excellent in this respect. The video just confirms that.

But why didn't he post the actual slope? Surely Rivian has a roll/pitch indicator on the screen. Maybe the driver was concentrating on driving instead of looking at the screen? :) But my guess is that he didn't post the number because it just doesn't sound all that impressive. From my experience (I DO look at the inclinometer :) the slope in that video is about 30 degrees. But when you're in the driver's seat looking at it from the bottom it looks like 90! So if he said 30 a lot of people would think it's no big deal. They don't realize that the steepest slope you're ever likely the see on pavement is only about 6 degrees. It's more impressive to quote the "slope percent" (the tangent of the angle) rather than the angle. 100% is a lot more impressive than 45 degrees.