First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'm not sure if the whole interview is available somewhere, but there's a few interesting Rivian related bits in those short clips.
It's available, you can search for it.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
RJ says towards the end of the Bloomberg interview that properly designed batteries will last longer than the vehicle. Or, in other words, vehicles will age faster than the batteries. He says the batteries will last "hundreds of thousands of miles and even a million miles if managed properly". Wow, given how rugged and robust the R1T/S appear to be, that's saying something.

In earlier threads, there was discussion about the rapid advance of battery tech might suggest first generation Rivian owners might want to upgrade their battery packs in relatively short order. RJ saying batteries will outlast the vehicles gives me some peace of mind on battery obsolescence.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
RJ says towards the end of the Bloomberg interview that properly designed batteries will last longer than the vehicle. Or, in other words, vehicles will age faster than the batteries. He says the batteries will last "hundreds of thousands of miles and even a million miles if managed properly". Wow, given how rugged and robust the R1T/S appear to be, that's saying something.

In earlier threads, there was discussion about the rapid advance of battery tech might suggest first generation Rivian owners might want to upgrade their battery packs in relatively short order. RJ saying batteries will outlast the vehicles gives me some peace of mind on battery obsolescence.
His comments got me thinking about what's preventing Rivian (or any other BEV manufacturer) from designing a vehicle where the rest of the vehicle can last as long as the battery? I know I'd be happier justifying such a large purchase if it can be amortized over more years/miles.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
His comments got me thinking about what's preventing Rivian (or any other BEV manufacturer) from designing a vehicle where the rest of the vehicle can last as long as the battery? I know I'd be happier justifying such a large purchase if it can be amortized over more years/miles.
There's a lot of vehicles still on the road from 20+ years ago. Take care of it, and you can keep it as long as you wish.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Take care of it, and you can keep it as long as you wish.
If by take care of it, you mean replace everything that wears out, you can keep going for quite some time. I had a Subaru for 22 years, but eventually my mechanic told me it wasn't worth the cost to fix it. By the end, the buttons were falling off the radio, the upholstery was worn and it needed a new engine. Evs have the advantage that electric motors usually last a lot longer than internal combustion engines, but there are many other components that will wear out.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I think in any modern vehicle it's more a matter of not getting new technologies, or beginning to see the limits of older technologies, as they age because of the cost tradeoff of engineering such tech to retrofit vice engineering it into a vehicle from the beginning which will bring more profit margin. I know several years ago I loved driving my Z4M on all trips, long or short.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think in any modern vehicle it's more a matter of not getting new technologies, or beginning to see the limits of older technologies, as they age because of the cost tradeoff of engineering such tech to retrofit vice engineering it into a vehicle from the beginning which will bring more profit margin. I know several years ago I loved driving my Z4M on all trips, long or short.
Yep, this day & age it is more about keeping up with tech or wanting a new vehicle. Mechanical reliability used to be a major issue after ~10 years or so, but not as much anymore as long as you properly maintain...and that's ICE vehicles.

Interior can be another issue, as @jjwolf120 mentioned, but even that can normally be addressed. It becomes a matter of either desire for a new/different vehicle, or financially whether it's worth making needed investments in an older one.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
For some reason, I cut short my previous post, meaning to write " I know several years ago I loved driving my Z4M on all trips, long or short, but I find the ergonomics of the vehicle really uncomfortable now for long trips, so people's priorities change too."

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
But with OTA updates, long lasting batteries (longer lasting than propulsion and suspension systems), couldn't the stuff that wears out - display screens, seats, tires and maybe air suspension parts - simply be replaced?

In other words, if the physical/mechanical stuff is replaced as needed, and the electronics stuff is upgraded within generational limitations, a Rivian might last for decades (my Volvo wagon still runs and it's four decades old, but it's not fast, safe or comfortable by modern standards.)

True, there's no substitute for wanting a new vehicle, but with a sensible, straightforward design, like the R1T and R1S, the mechanical, battery and electronic/computer system reasons for replacing a vehicle might be greatly attenuated.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
electronic/computer system
I think the electronic computer systems are doomed to obsolescence unless progress stops in that area. The only thing that could be done is to try and make replacing and upgrading simpler. We have computers that are 20 years old at work, but they can't run the current opperating systems or even connect to a new printer.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
True, there's no substitute for wanting a new vehicle, but with a sensible, straightforward design, like the R1T and R1S, the mechanical, battery and electronic/computer system reasons for replacing a vehicle might be greatly attenuated.
That's what I'm hoping.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the electronic computer systems are doomed to obsolescence unless progress stops in that area. The only thing that could be done is to try and make replacing and upgrading simpler. We have computers that are 20 years old at work, but they can't run the current opperating systems or even connect to a new printer.
I consider obsolescence to mean unusable, but these components should be able to serve the same functions for years. You might not be able to get latest & greatest features/functionality, but that doesn't mean the components or vehicles are unusable.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I consider obsolescence to mean unusable, but these components should be able to serve the same functions for years. You might not be able to get latest & greatest features/functionality, but that doesn't mean the components or vehicles are unusable.
Usable is hard to define. One of our local members has a 1920 Milburn Light Electric he uses occasionally for parades and such. It still runs and drives, but "usable" might be a stretch as a daily driver.
There are plenty of examples of antique autos on the road, and if you really wanted to you could almost certainly keep the Rivian running for as long as you care to. At some point the $$ spent vs functionality comes into play, and that is what usually sends cars to "retirement".
Rivian R1T R1S RJ Interviewed on Bloomberg Live 348a
Sponsored