Sponsored

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
It aint happening. Too many variables/liability.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
"Hey, wanna see my Rivian tank-turn on this icy parking lot? Hold my beer!"

(Holds beer and starts iPhone video camera)

10 seconds and 50 feet slightly downhill later - CRUNCH

"Oh Crap..... But that light pole was soooo far away?!?!?!?"

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Really cool but in the priority of things to do it could not be further from the bottom for me.

Quality
Range
Quality
Software stability
Apple Carplay/Android Auto
More colors in and out
100 other things
Tank Turn

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
One thing to realize is that while implementing a tank turn that is firmly controllable is challenging for all the reasons in the article, it is far easier to implement what they're calling a K-turn which can be thought of as a rolling tank turn where some forward (or reverse) momentum is kept though the turn. The more that is kept, then the more that the turn is similar to a normal turn, meaning the less slip on all four tires is needed. Think of turning the right front wheel all the way to the right, greatly reducing its movement, and pivoting around that sliding point. Since all four tires do not need to be slipping there is a significant amount of control available, and at some point become a plain old donut turn, which is easily controllable if you don't just go all stupid.

Since that's a lot easier to implement, and I'd think a lot more applicable on the trail since it could be used to aid in sliding around an otherwise very tight turn, I'd expect that to come out "soon"er than anything else, and it'd be generally useful.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Tank turns. = marketing BS.

string the potential buyers with a list of features that are to complicated, to expensive and are not needed.

ask for forgiveness later.

just make the dam trucks and deliver them. Let the buyers decode how good they are instead of the marketeeers.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Besides. Nobody is going to be doing tank turns in the Walmart parking lot. Which is where these trucks will driven to. And Home depot too. sorry forgot about that one.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Besides. Nobody is going to be doing tank turns in the Walmart parking lot. Which is where these trucks will driven to. And Home depot too. sorry forgot about that one.
I wouldn’t be caught dead driving my R1T to Walmart, I am a Target snob ??

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired

You truly doubt the American stupidity? Bet you there will be plenty of people doing just that at Walmart lots. And, after watching Motortrend's review of the R1T, do you *really* think people won't go off-road in this vehicle frequently? Not sure what world you live it, but it's not been challenged enough ;)

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
You truly doubt the American stupidity? Bet you there will be plenty of people doing just that at Walmart lots. And, after watching Motortrend's review of the R1T, do you *really* think people won't go off-road in this vehicle frequently? Not sure what world you live it, but it's not been challenged enough ;)
No. Maybe 5% will go off road. 95% will see each other at the kids soccer games. All driving their $100,000 RT1’s.

DanielM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, GLS450, Ram 1500
This is very bothersome, not the lack of tank turn- I live in the city, I would never use it. The fact that Rivian knew tank turn was not viable in its current form and failed to release this information, continued to deceive us into thinking this was a feature until a week or two before launch. This was not just something that sprung up on them unexpectedly. I’m having a hard time trusting them as a company now.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No. Maybe 5% will go off road. 95% will see each other at the kids soccer games. All driving their $100,000 RT1’s.
Ahem, I'll have you know that I'm known to traverse an unpaved driveway once or twice a year. It's not even gravel! We're talking packed dirt here!

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
The Tank Turn is a products liability nightmare for Rivian. Not sure how many other attorneys there are on the board, but would love to see if they agree. There is absolutely a foreseeable risk that the design creates a dangerous situation for the end line consumer. I cannot imagine the liability headache is worth the fun PR of ”look at this cool spin.” I would have tossed it on the idea room floor, personally.
Sponsored