Sponsored

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Mined has been on a train, supposedly, since ~ 7/8. When asked for updates, guide says they have no idea where it is. :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Mined has been on a train, supposedly, since 7/8. When asked for updates, guide says they have no idea where it is. :(
That is one of a number of downsides for customers when shipping by rail.

Rivian went with rail only for cost reduction and distribution simplification.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Data point - selected one of the R1Ts on the pre-configured store, since it was my configuration minus the full size spare (another head scratcher there) - 7/19, Guide says it was in transit next day with estimated delivery to San Diego SC August 5th.... so that's roughly 16 days in transit, hopefully that's an over estimate but we don't eyes on that. Anyone know if the guide does have eyes of the car in transit in terms of tracking like a package?
My experience is that they do not but someone in Rivian should be able to access the rail data bases.

My guess is that 16 days is an under estimation.

OP
OP

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
The update I got from my Guide this morning is his team estimates my R1T should arrive to my SC end of next week with delivery being sometime the following week.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
My experience is that they do not but someone in Rivian should be able to access the rail data bases.

Ouch... it was a "pre-configured" R1T, maybe it was already in transit is my internal optimist?

Sponsored

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero Motorcycles, Karma GS-6, Apocalypse, McL 570S
Occupation
health stuff
I am just happy (actually ecstatic) that I have a VIN, received my 8 steps connection, and it is somewhere on a train to San Diego . . . I have waited so much time already, this is now a pleasure tbh. Launch Edition Limestone with Forest Edge is what I ended up with.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
In my limited experience with shipment of vehicles by rail indicates that it may not net out to a benefit for the customer. I ordered a Mach-e that ultimately took (4) months (Mexico City to Boise ID) to appear at the Ford dealership. Tracking of the vehicle was next to impossible and for 4 months we had no idea where the car was or what was happening to it. Ultimately it turned out to be 'bricked' for almost two months between SLC rail yard and the car hauler. We passed on taking delivery.

Generally speaking though it would seem that most cars shipped by rail make uneventful trips to their destinations but once the vehicle is in the hands of the railroad information is hard to get. IMHO rail shipment will increase the time to delivery and uncertainty.
shipping by rail is cheaper than by road. For the shipper.

unless you’re shipping by dedicated Enclosed truck carrier(like Reliable, pilot, TFX, etc.), shipping by rail is much much better for vehicle damage outcomes Vs truck which is 90% of the time open, and subject to fun things like the operator accidentally lowering a ramp onto the car.

every car I’ve ever bought has come by rail. One came by 20ft container. There was zero tracking any time on the rail journey unless transloading occurred.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thats a great question, how do they account for battery drain during long transit times? I would love to know, maybe some one on the forum is an insider.
There is a shipping mode.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

Take it one step further, someone at Rivian should be able to dial up the truck it self, and get a GPS ping as to where it is, and if its moving, or when it last moved.

As for damage... Yea, kinda. Although it wont be exposed to all the road debris, it will have quite a few more hands in the trucks, on the trucks, and opening/closing the truck doors. Almost quadruple the hands will now be on the truck.

Front end damage may go down, but I bet door dings, and paint chips go up.

In the winter. and summer, I bet some trucks are getting delivered to dealers with near -0- charge. Railroad loaders will usually pick a car that has good AC/Heat, and enough fuel (see: Battery) to let them use it as a sit and wait car. I did it, my dad did it.

My dad used to tell me stories of calling the manufactures about coming to put fuel in their cars, after they ran them out of fuel. And not just anyone can come and put fuel in it, has to be RailSafe Certified, Union, and a few other things.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Rail shipping of new cars from manufacturing sites is the industry standard because it is cheaper than any other method.

When going to a dealership and buying a car off the lot the shipping details are not asked for or provided. All dealerships have learned to simply wait for their cars to show up. The pain and uncertainty caused by rail is hidden from the customer. That is until recently with the advent of online purchasing.

As mentioned rail transport is much slower, much less direct, nearly un- trackable and may result in multiple unloading and loading of the vehicle from the rail car. In some instances the vehicle can end up sitting in lot for days/weeks with hundreds of other vehicles waiting to be loaded into a rail car from a different rail line that is headed in your general direction.

My Mach-e spent at least 6 weeks in the SLC rail yard “bricked” during the months of Dec 2021 to Feb 2022. Who knows how many hands were on it or how it was moved whole being a brick. BTW we walked away once the car finally showed up The sad part is the dealership saw this as “ business as usual” as did Ford.

Vast majority of rail shipped vehicles get to their intended destinations unharmed but albeit much more slowly and mysteriously. It is not a win for the customer but is for the car manufacturers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RFC1918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Porsche Cayman S
Occupation
IT
This thread quickly turned my excitement about delivery to worry and concern.

Step 3 is Complete - If Rivian doesn't process my USAA financing by Aug 20th, it expires and I have to shop rates again.

Step 4 is Complete - I am already paying for insurance. (this is dumb by the way, you should just be able to show proof of insurance at delivery)

OP
OP

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger

Step 3 is Complete - If Rivian doesn't process my USAA financing by Aug 20th, it expires and I have to shop rates again.

Step 4 is Complete - I am already paying for insurance. (this is dumb by the way, you should just be able to show proof of insurance at delivery)
I have Geico and I asked them to push my policy start date tentatively to mid August until I know exactly what day I'll be taking delivery and they were able to do so. Hopefully you can do the same.

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I paid and finished all the steps on Monday the 11th. My guide call was the 12th and she approved my DL and bank check photo. That put me at 7/8 fully complete. She told me the truck was completed vin# 85xx and waiting to load onto a rail car for shipping to the Costa Mesa service center. Today she told me it is in transit on the rail car and she expects it to arrive on July 30th at Costa Mesa, CA.

A few days to do the PDC and deliver it on a flat bed to the house.

PK
Congrats man, I opted to pick up my R1T from the Costa Mesa location since I only live 5 miles away. I wanted to meet and greet everyone at the Rivian Facility and really didn't want anyone else driving my truck as much as possible, since I live so close. 3/31/2022 Delivery, Vin # 3666.

I've driven about 4k miles in almost 4 months, and I still get a thrill driving it like I was on day 1. Enjoy the anticipation, and soak it in because it's coming soon. You are really getting a special truck.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

The overwhelming good news is that you will be getting your R1T relatively soon. The really long wait is over.

When the SC told me the delivery date to my home I simply gave that date to my insurance company. BTW my R1T had 1 mile on it when I slid into the drivers seat.
Sponsored

Last edited: