RIVIAN STOCK

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Good play. Lower that cost basis. I suspect when Rivian reports earnings in a few days, there will be another good buying point.

I feel bad for everyone who bought in at IPO prices, but now is the time to lower the basis or buy in at a more realistic valuation and then hold for a while if you don't mind some volatility. $15-20 is where I'm ideally looking to get in and then hold for a while.
Looks like you'll get your opportunity to get in at that price this week (if not today).
Sponsored

MrFlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none!
Occupation
Mid level government employee.
Looks like you'll get your opportunity to get in at that price this week (if not today).
I think we might see $20 this week, but $15 would require some really bad news coming from the next earnings. If the stock hit $15 this week, I would be worried.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Time to load up?!? Said it a while back... wait for the lockup expiry, although tbh its lower than even I imagined... was hoping for $40-50s back then.... if you don't believe in the company enough to buy some of their stock for $20/share.... then you probably shouldn't be buying their vehicle.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
if you don't believe in the company enough to buy some of their stock for $20/share.... then you probably shouldn't be buying their vehicle.
A tits up RIVN means you own a vehicle with a rare badge a la DeLorean, Tucker...Saturn?

EDIT: ‘vehicle’ in this case could also mean ‘paperweight’….

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Years ago that only meant part scarcity. Now it could mean the inability to use the product, or at least many features of it.

I have faith in the company. I think Rivian shuttering any time soon is extremely unlikely. But it's still concerning to see the stock price go down each time everybody thinks it has bottomed out.
To be fair, I've read a lot of analyst opinions on Rivian and their potential for profitability and such.. they had no business ever being the worlds 3rd largest market cap car manufacturer with only producing a few hundred mules.... that being said, those same analysts are saying valuation in the 18-29B range long term isn't crazy and now its looking to be more in range. Market downturn with some slow to deliver trucks (not sure anyone is surprised by this) and a lockup expiring... Teens looks to be the bottom... bottom.. i've got a starter position today at 24.12... we'll see how it performs, but if i'm willing to spend $80k on a truck i can invest a a few dollars in the stock and gamble.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Time to load up?!? Said it a while back... wait for the lockup expiry, although tbh its lower than even I imagined... was hoping for $40-50s back then.... if you don't believe in the company enough to buy some of their stock for $20/share.... then you probably shouldn't be buying their vehicle.
Im afraid that sentiment will weigh on sales. If a significant number of propesctive R1 buys have doubts about the company's future thats exactly what will happen. The stock probably doesn't bounce until there is chatter about a third party buy out.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Years ago that only meant part scarcity. Now it could mean the inability to use the product, or at least many features of it.
Good point. One more count against perhaps. Consider the disaster a Canoo subscription model provides. Yikes!

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Take that back.. starter position filled at $24.... i'll hold till zero, buyout, or retirement.. whichever comes first.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I think that this is where we'll start to see EV makers being valued like car companies, not tech companies. Sucks for Rivian and for people who bought at IPO prices, but we're probably getting closer to the more appropriate valuation for the long term. I'm waiting until we hit $15-17 to leverage down. I'm assuming that this earnings report won't be great, but there are some positive catalysts with deliveries picking up and the new Georgia factory coming along.

I personally also wouldn't be surprised at news of a buyout. GM seems like a likely candidate - they (a) like throwing money at EV companies, (b) don't seem to have a real EV plan besides loading trucks up with batteries, and (c) want to stay competitive with (and are currently behind) Ford. That seems like a good mix to just try picking up an EV company with a plan already sorted out. Either way, as others have said, I believe that Rivian will be successful eventually, so I'm not looking for windows to jump out of yet.

Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
snip ...

I feel bad for everyone who bought in at IPO prices, but now is the time to lower the basis or buy in at a more realistic valuation and then hold for a while if you don't mind some volatility. $15-20 is where I'm ideally looking to get in and then hold for a while.
Don't feel too bad. I'm not sure what those that got in at IPO prices - only to see the price take-off - were thinking IF they didn't take profits. That's on them.

Deleted member 6231

I see AMZN a better buyer than GM. GM doesn’t need RIVN.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I see AMZN a better buyer than GM. GM doesn’t need RIVN.
Agreed. But ... what do they really need with a vehicle company besides securing fleet orders? Because they are a direct competitor, it's not like they will ever get any orders from UPS or Fedex.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Agreed. But ... what do they really need with a vehicle company besides securing fleet orders? Because they are a direct competitor, it's not like they will ever get any orders from UPS or Fedex.
I clicked on a button to purchase an item once and I found out to my surprise afterward that I was signed up for Amazon Prime. If they buy Rivian, you may see a new TV at your door after you hit a speed bump.

You would be surprised how creative Amazon can get to monetize anything. Rivian stock price will go through the roof.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is not investment advice and by no means does something like this make absolute financial sense, but I wouldn't discount the desire of one billionare to poke another billionare in the eye as a motivating factor.
Sponsored