kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US328941774&_cid=P21-KQTIFY-81976-1
US20210197820 - Systems and Methods for Providing a Vehicle with a Torque Vectored K-Turn Mode

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents "K-Turn" torque vector mode 1625664175179

Systems and methods are provided herein for operating a vehicle in a K-turn mode. The K-turn mode is engaged in response to determining that an amount that at least one of the front wheels of the vehicle is turned exceeds a turn threshold. While operating in the K-turn mode, forward torque is provided to the front wheels of the vehicle. Further, backward torque is provided to the rear wheels of the vehicle. Yet further, the rear wheels of the vehicle remain substantially in static contact with a ground while the front wheels slip in relation to the ground.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

A Interesting patent is one that is a non Rivian Patent but mentions Rivian's Direct voltage requirements.
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US328383660&_cid=P21-KQTKD1-07587-1

RivianĀ® motor that requires 800-900 volt DC for a quick charger. Therefore, there is no need outside high voltage connections. Further, to reduce a generator's size and weigh about by 50% and increase conductivity, the generator has wires selected from one of a super conducting wire, a carbon CNT wire, graphene cooper composited wire or graphene film wire instead of conventional heavy weight cooper wires.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents "K-Turn" torque vector mode 1625664743035

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
A Interesting patent is one that is a non Rivian Patent but mentions Rivian's Direct voltage requirements.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US328941774&_cid=P21-KQTIFY-81976-1

RivianĀ® motor that requires 800-900 volt DC for a quick charger. Therefore, there is no need outside high voltage connections. Further, to reduce a generator's size and weigh about by 50% and increase conductivity, the generator has wires selected from one of a super conducting wire, a carbon CNT wire, graphene cooper composited wire or graphene film wire instead of conventional heavy weight cooper wires.

1625664743035.png
Looks like you accidentally copied the link for the K-turn patent. Can you update the link to the non-Rivian patent?

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Looks like you accidentally copied the link for the K-turn patent. Can you update the link to the non-Rivian patent?

Updated.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
US20210197820 - Systems and Methods for Providing a Vehicle with a Torque Vectored K-Turn Mode

Systems and methods are provided herein for operating a vehicle in a K-turn mode. The K-turn mode is engaged in response to determining that an amount that at least one of the front wheels of the vehicle is turned exceeds a turn threshold. While operating in the K-turn mode, forward torque is provided to the front wheels of the vehicle. Further, backward torque is provided to the rear wheels of the vehicle. Yet further, the rear wheels of the vehicle remain substantially in static contact with a ground while the front wheels slip in relation to the ground.
Can someone explain this to me like I'm a child? I mean, I can already K-turn in a car with no patented technology. This sounds different than tank turn, since wheels are spinning in opposite directions for that to happen. This just sounds like spinning the front wheels while dragging the rears. What does that accomplish?

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Can someone explain this to me like I'm a child? I mean, I can already K-turn in a car with no patented technology. This sounds different than tank turn, since wheels are spinning in opposite directions for that to happen. This just sounds like spinning the front wheels while dragging the rears. What does that accomplish?
Sounds like a low speed version of a J turn instead of a 3 point turn.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Looking at the full application, the broadest claims (the claimed scope of the patent) are for a K-turn (which is described as a turn with a pivot point somewhere beneath the vehicle) being accomplished by applying forward torque to front wheels and reverse torque (through braking or motors) to rear wheels.
Not sure thatā€™s good enough for a child but, in short, I think this would cover a tank turn as well as just braking the rear inside wheel while powering forward with the front wheels.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Changes where the central pivot of the vehicle is. Ends up making a much tighter turn. They helpfully include vector math on the patent figure showing that the forward motion from the front tires cancels out with the backwards motion of the rear tires. The front of the vehicle will basically move sideways instead of forward at an angle.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Basically a tank turn plus steering. Think of coming up to a narrow trail point that is basically like a 90 degree turn that's too tight to make a turn into normally without scraping the sides. Now just shift the pivot point to between the rear wheels by rotating them backwards at the correct rate to maintain an "anchor", and steering the frontend around an arc to point the nose in the desired direction. Sure there's some sideways slippage of the tire, but you aren't making that turn without it. Handy. Works every time. Austin Powers - 3 point turn / maneuvering / parking Scene - YouTube

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
Doesn't the Bronco have this turn via one of the of road buttons? Tire drag turn or something?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Doesn't the Bronco have this turn via one of the of road buttons? Tire drag turn or something?
Trail Turn Assist, but it uses the inside brake to get the vehicle to pivot. The K turn uses the rear inside tire moving backwards faster than the rear outside tire...and I assume the opposite to be true when maneuvering forwards, just that the rear outside tire would move faster than the inside tire to complete the turn.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I thought about that too. As Rivianā€™s application is written, the Bronco would infringe Rivianā€™s claimed patent. The Rivian application describes the turn being accomplished by having forward torque on the front wheels and a negative torque on at least one rear wheel. The rear wheel doesnā€™t have to spin backwards ā€” in fact the patent application states it can be static in relation to the ground (not turning) to accomplish the K-turn.

Of course, keep in mind this is only Rivianā€™s application. It hasnā€™t issued as a patent. It is normal for an applicant to claim theyā€™ve invented everything under the sun. The next phase involves Rivian negotiating with the patent examiner as to what they truly have invented, and this application may be much narrower when it actually issues as a patent.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet