Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Given the way they have utilized the space in the R1T I think that an adventure van would be awesome.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents a sliding door feature / design - for future Rivian van? 1632156759241
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Given the way they have utilized the space in the R1T I think that an adventure van would be awesome.
1632156759241.png
Yes please! Full on Forward Control style minibus/van on the skateboard with the Rivian proprietary suspension? Boinggggg

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
This is a potentially cool idea that may have zero impact on their product roadmap or plans.

As others have noted, anything that's remotely close to an original idea gets patented at companies with robust IP programs. It may have no remote chance of even becoming a physical prototype, let alone a product feature. But patents are valuable assets to sell and license to others, are valuable to have to counterassert if you get sued, etc. This is fun to talk about while we await delivery, but may not amount to anything more!

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Yes, yes, YES! I am very skeptical the R1S has the interior volume I need, but I would be thrilled to covert my order to a Rivian minivan.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Also note they could make a competitive product in this space today. The Sprinter and Transit 4X4 cargo vans run in the 50-60k range for an ICE. Also If they wanted to trick it out (full RV) then the competition is ~150k for a 4X4 sprinter RV. Either of these types of lines would fit right into their product line up IMO.

Also on the other side upcoming EVs in this space from Ram, Mercedes and Ford have ranges around 100 miles which is great for a delivery van but not so much for anything else. I suppose they could easily compete here too if they wanted.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Also note they could make a competitive product in this space today. The Sprinter and Transit 4X4 cargo vans run in the 50-60k range for an ICE. Also If they wanted to trick it out (full RV) then the competition is ~150k for a 4X4 sprinter RV. Either of these types of lines would fit right into their product line up IMO.

Also on the other side upcoming EVs in this space from Ram, Mercedes and Ford have ranges around 100 miles which is great for a delivery van but not so much for anything else. I suppose they could easily compete here too if they wanted.
IMO this is why Rivian is not overvalued at $80bn market cap. With the skateboard, anything like this is feasible with minimal adjustment. Interchangeable parts afford incredible variety with minimal adjustment to manufacturing structure.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Sliding doors have been around for sometime so to actually patent a new idea is interesting in itself. From what I see it appears they just did a gooseneck like sliding door. They made the door open wider without extending the sliding mechanism.

While it could be used in a van/minivan I think they probably have their eyes on doing this in a delivery van first. Easy to see the need/use case here when loading and unloading gobs of packages.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

IMO this is why Rivian is not overvalued at $80bn market cap. With the skateboard, anything like this is feasible with minimal adjustment. Interchangeable parts afford incredible variety with minimal adjustment to manufacturing structure.
Well if Tesla is worth $700bn I think that $80bn for Rivian is reasonable. $80bn seems high to me but without knowing how they came to that number it is hard to say. I am sure they will have justification in their IPO documentation, what they see as the total addressable market and what their forecast is for revenue, sales and unit production.

Blackbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Mitsubishi Delica L300
Occupation
Small business owner
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents a sliding door feature / design - for future Rivian van? 11A0BA2D-1F6D-4E12-851E-58115289594D.JPG

This is my adventure vehicle now, slider door included, and soon to be paired up with an R1T. My only complaint with this van is that I pay for diesel, and I know quite a few people who love vehicles like this and are waiting for EV tech to be applied to this market segment. If Rivian is first to the table with an EV 4x4 "Sprinter", they would be very busy to say the least.
Sponsored