Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

AUTOMOTIVE VEHICLE SLIDING SIDE DOOR WITH DUAL GUIDE RAIL

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...31&tab=NATIONALBIBLIO&_cid=P12-KTSSYG-77064-1

The statements in this section merely provide background information related to the present disclosure and may not constitute prior art.

Automotive vehicles typically have multiple doors for ingress and egress of vehicle occupants. For some vehicles, especially for larger vehicles such as minivans, a sliding door is sometimes used together with or instead of conventional swing doors. A sliding door may have various benefits over a hinged door, including functional benefits, ease of access, reduced outboard door swing, and avoidance of obstructions next to the vehicle.

Implementation of a sliding door design entails provision of sufficient space for the door mechanism and its components and may be limited depending on the vehicle type and styling considerations. In some instances, space constraints for various automotive vehicles may not permit for the utilization of a conventional sliding door mechanism. For example, space at the rear of the vehicle may not provide adequate room for the mechanism of a conventional sliding door. Additionally, a conventional sliding door does not travel the full extent of its own length during opening, and so the door opening in the vehicle body for ingress and egress may be partially obstructed by a forward portion of the sliding door. Thus, a conventional sliding door mechanism is not able to permit longer sliding door travel without the rear length of the vehicle itself being increased.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents a sliding door feature / design - for future Rivian van? Rivian Van Sliding Door Patent

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian patents a sliding door feature / design - for future Rivian van? 1632151854923
Sponsored

Last edited:

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...31&tab=NATIONALBIBLIO&_cid=P12-KTSSYG-77064-1

The statements in this section merely provide background information related to the present disclosure and may not constitute prior art.

Automotive vehicles typically have multiple doors for ingress and egress of vehicle occupants. For some vehicles, especially for larger vehicles such as minivans, a sliding door is sometimes used together with or instead of conventional swing doors. A sliding door may have various benefits over a hinged door, including functional benefits, ease of access, reduced outboard door swing, and avoidance of obstructions next to the vehicle.

Implementation of a sliding door design entails provision of sufficient space for the door mechanism and its components and may be limited depending on the vehicle type and styling considerations. In some instances, space constraints for various automotive vehicles may not permit for the utilization of a conventional sliding door mechanism. For example, space at the rear of the vehicle may not provide adequate room for the mechanism of a conventional sliding door. Additionally, a conventional sliding door does not travel the full extent of its own length during opening, and so the door opening in the vehicle body for ingress and egress may be partially obstructed by a forward portion of the sliding door. Thus, a conventional sliding door mechanism is not able to permit longer sliding door travel without the rear length of the vehicle itself being increased.

1632151854923.png
Are they.....putting a sliding door on the R1S??? Or a potential next model?? This seems way in left field, I'm curious.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Are they.....putting a sliding door on the R1S??? Or a potential next model?? This seems way in left field, I'm curious.
Sounds like they're planning an adventure mini van, for those soccer games in wild places.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Sounds like they're planning an adventure mini van, for those soccer games in wild places.
Rivian is all about filling the niche markets. This will help them coin the term "soccer dad" with a positive spin.

Sponsored

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander

Rivian Van Sliding Door Patent.png

1632151854923.png
Artists, start your (electric) engines. What would you like to see in a Rivian minivan?

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Funny, just the other day I was looking at minivans and figured there no was no reason one couldn't be dropped on top of an electric skateboard and was thinking in my head about tongue in cheek slogans once Rivian got around to cutting out the first whole in that market.

Life's Adventures don't always happen on the trail; sometimes they happen right at home.

Even trips to the soccer field can be an adventure.

Sometimes you have to park on the grass. Sometimes it rains. Be ready for both.

For all your adventures in the urban jungle.

Etc.

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Funny, just the other day I was looking at minivans and figured there no was no reason one couldn't be dropped on top of an electric skateboard and was thinking in my head about tongue in cheek slogans once Rivian got around to cutting out the first whole in that market.

Life's Adventures don't always happen on the trail; sometimes they happen right at home.

Even trips to the soccer field can be an adventure.

Sometimes you have to park on the grass. Sometimes it rains. Be ready for both.

For all your adventures in the urban jungle.

Etc.
Introducing the world's first family minivan that can plow through 3 feet of water or climb a stack of boulders, because nothing—I repeat—nothing stands in the way of your kids' soccer game.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Who says it has to be a minivan. They already are making delivery vans.

I’d be lobbying for a high roof cargo van with the R1Ts skateboard chassis. Got my FWD ProMaster conversion stuck too many times also there is the fact it gets 15mpg.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Who says it has to be a minivan. They already are making delivery vans.

I’d be lobbying for a high roof cargo van with the R1Ts skateboard chassis. Got my FWD ProMaster conversion stuck too many times also there is the fact it gets 15mpg.
My first thought was a Sprinter type vehicle as well.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My first thought was a Sprinter type vehicle as well.
yeah, i was thinking more like sprinter type van. very popular with the camping/overlanding community and totally untapped as far as BEV (afaik).

i could see Rivian building a rugged van for that type of market. mini-van like Odyssey or Sienna doesn't fit their motif.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This seems like a good time to remind folks that it's very common in tech or tech-adjacent companies to encourage employees to file for any good idea you have, even if it's nowhere near a real product roadmap or market feasibility.

Patents can be sold, licensed, bartered, etc. They can help keep you from being disrupted by an idea your team decided not to act on. They do not mean Rivian is building an Adventure van, just that someone who works there had a neat idea for a sliding door and decided to file.

I hope they do build one! Just a cautionary note.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Introducing the world's first family minivan that can plow through 3 feet of water or climb a stack of boulders, because nothing—I repeat—nothing stands in the way of your kids' soccer game.
Introducing the R2V, for the young family on the go: "You've got the kids, you've got the balls. Why not bring them all?" ??âš˝?âšľ???

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Aside from adventure van, i was also thinking they could use it for their mobile service platform.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Aside from adventure van, i was also thinking they could use it for their mobile service platform.
Yeah, I was actually envisioning it for another version of an amazon van as well.
Sponsored