First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
@ajdelange Does the Tesla built in navigation also try to include elevation change and regenerative braking in it's calculations?
Yes. I just called it "terrain" in the earlier posts. Projections are based on either the realized average or the car's rated Wh/mi which are calculated assuming regen is on.

I guess I should add that this is all as I understand it. There is no section in the manual where they tell you exactly what they are doing. My understanding is based on my observations and those of others. And also I am guessing that Rivian will do something equally or more sophisticated. I do not know.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I need to clarify the GM range estimate a bit. It uses historical data for driving technique, which as stated previously depends on the driver, but it always assumes the same driver. My wife and I also drive very differently, she has a lead foot. But it also considers outside temperature, which directly effects battery performance and the need for battery conditioning. It also considers climate settings and adjusts range accordingly. In real time is uses speed and terrain to make adjustments. It is not perfect and effects like headwind or tailwind can have significant impacts on actual range.

There is a display that actually shows the percentage of battery used for driving, climate control and battery conditioning.

Rise1Set

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I'm very interested in Rivian's built in Navigation and how it manages optimizing charge intervals and time, inherently, on road trips and adventure travels.

https://rivian.com/technology

I know there are APPS for this such as ABRP and Plugshare, but I'd much rather the route be based on the ongoing calculated performance of the machine I am riding in.

I know variables such as charging performance and available stations on route impact route planning, but my point is I'd rather Rivian tech handle those decisions for me (with custom filtering base on user preference), informed by the live performance of my vehicle and the way I personally drive it.

Any thoughts or insight into how they may do this, and the pros and cons of using a built in Navigation app vs a third-party?
I haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if it was mentioned, but Tesla is running a beta program right now that plans your charging stops for you.

once you put your destination in the navigation system and start your trip it automatically shows all supercharges on your route and actually shows each one you’ll need to stop at. I just used this on a long road trip and it was extremely useful and accurate.

if Rivian doesn’t have it day 1 - you can bet it will be a software update in the future.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if it was mentioned, but Tesla is running a beta program right now that plans your charging stops for you.

once you put your destination in the navigation system and start your trip it automatically shows all supercharges on your route and actually shows each one you’ll need to stop at. I just used this on a long road trip and it was extremely useful and accurate.

if Rivian doesn’t have it day 1 - you can bet it will be a software update in the future.
I wonder if Tesla will have the same option while towing...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla is running a beta program right now that plans your charging stops for you.
That's a rather interesting way of putting it. Tesla is, and has been for some time now, selling cars with a navigation system that chooses superchargers for you along a route it decides upon based on your current location and a chosen destination. I honestly don't recall whether this feature in particular is so labeled but as so much of the other software in the car is designalted as beta I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that this is too.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I am a pretty die hard android auto fan, but I am willing to try out other systems. As mentioned, I assume just about any phone will pair for talking/texting/music and hopefully have some connectivity with the steering wheel for answering, changing songs etc. I'm sure Alexa will manage that as well. I can see them having up to date charger information which is nice. I start to get nervous about maps. Most OEMs have Navigation packages that are horrible. They have outdated maps that have to be loaded via usb or CD and then they are almost immediately out of date. Then they want tons of money for the updates each year. I love my google maps for up to the minute/day navigation, traffic, and soon to be weather. How will Rivian replicate that? I'm hoping if no android auto that at least they are using the google maps API for the navigation.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
How will Rivian replicate that? I'm hoping if no android auto that at least they are using the google maps API for the navigation.
I don't anticipate that being an issue. Legacy vehicles had to load from CD or USB because they were not connected and could not load OTA. OTA won't be an issue for Rivian. However, I don't anticipate support for Waze's crowd sourced traffic data. I will more than likely end up using Rivian's nav on longer trips while running Waze in parallel from my phone for all trips local or distant. It's going to be a real step backward not being able to project that onto the Rivian dash (or run it natively). I rely on Waze for real time routing around traffic and construction - things that change frequently and have a huge impact on my local traffic. Even when I know exactly where I am going, I rely on Waze to get me there most efficiently. Maybe Rivian will surprise me.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don't anticipate that being an issue. Legacy vehicles had to load from CD or USB because they were not connected and could not load OTA. OTA won't be an issue for Rivian. However, I don't anticipate support for Waze's crowd sourced traffic data. I will more than likely end up using Rivian's nav on longer trips while running Waze in parallel from my phone for all trips local or distant. It's going to be a real step backward not being able to project that onto the Rivian dash (or run it natively). I rely on Waze for real time routing around traffic and construction - things that change frequently and have a huge impact on my local traffic. Even when I know exactly where I am going, I rely on Waze to get me there most efficiently. Maybe Rivian will surprise me.
Hasn't Google imtegrated most Waze functionality, other than police notifications?

Also, has anyone else noticed the "Electric vehicle settings" in Google maps?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hasn't Google imtegrated most Waze functionality, other than police notifications?
Sort of. And Google does alert on speed traps now. But they don't use the same routing algorithms as Waze which I find usually gives me better results, especially for my routine commutes around town.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I would be very surprised if Rivian rejects Android Auto and Carplay. Each of these points of integration have huge user bases.
I tried asking Rivian, but all they told ne is that they'll know for sure closer to production... so no answer yet

OP
OP
HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I know Toyota held out for a long time but finally gave in, what was it 2018 models maybe? I wonder if there are royalties to be paid one way or another.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Google now shows police radar locations on its maps and allows you to pin locations of same.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I thought I heard Rivian also said no android auto, but maybe not? If not then there is still hope. I hadn't noticed the electric vehicle settings in google maps, but I did notice you could ask it to show you chargers on your route. I burned through an hour on that and plugshare looking at all the 150kw and 350 kw chargers Electrify America has put in along the Northeast corridor where my family makes a road trip each year. Their launch is impressive in the walmarts too.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I thought I heard Rivian also said no android auto, but maybe not? If not then there is still hope. I hadn't noticed the electric vehicle settings in google maps, but I did notice you could ask it to show you chargers on your route. I burned through an hour on that and plugshare looking at all the 150kw and 350 kw chargers Electrify America has put in along the Northeast corridor where my family makes a road trip each year. Their launch is impressive in the walmarts too.
I saw that too. I usually drive to PA from FL once or twice a year, and it seems like along 95 there is a good number of fast charging stations. My pain point may be Georgia if I get the 135KWh pack, but I don't doubt the numbers of chargers will keep increasing while I wait for the R1S.
Sponsored