Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Is rivian going to be ccs combo 1 or 2? I know ccs but hadn't heard of the two types until I looked at Google maps. It doesn't show the electrify america ones if you pick either
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sort of. And Google does alert on speed traps now. But they don't use the same routing algorithms as Waze which I find usually gives me better results, especially for my routine commutes around town.
Crazy that Google wouldn't adopt superior routing algorithms, but can't say I'm surprised.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Is rivian going to be ccs combo 1 or 2? I know ccs but hadn't heard of the two types until I looked at Google maps. It doesn't show the electrify america ones if you pick either
In North America it will be CCS1. The key word is Combined. The port contains 2 receptacles. Often each has a separate cover. The upper receptacle is the SAE standard J1772 receptacle with 2 AC hots, earth and 2 signaling pins (earth is used for signalling too). This is used for Level 2 charging. The lower receptacle contains 2 large pins for DC fast charging. The CCS1 wand is a bulky kluge containing both J1772 and DC plugs in a single housing. DC fast charging uses the signaling pins in the J1772 plug (including the earthing pin).

https://www.rema-ev.com/ccs-1-connector/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Trip planning including Rivian Adventure network and other CCS providers built in! Annoucned today on new site update...

Charging
For charging on the road, we’re building the Rivian Adventure Network — a comprehensive nationwide network of fast-charging stations capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. The network pairs with your vehicle to help you get to your destination by automatically routing you through any needed charging stops along the way. Beyond our own network, we are also integrating with other nationwide CCS networks to ensure charging is always easily accessible — also available from your navigation.

At home, you can purchase and install our Rivian wall-mounted charging station, capable of delivering roughly 25 miles of range per hour. We can take care of installation as part of this purchase. Your vehicle also comes standard with a portable charging cable that neatly packs away and plugs into both 120V and 240V outlets, delivering up to 16 miles of range per hour.Âł

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Trip planning including Rivian Adventure network and other CCS providers built in! Annoucned today on new site update...

Charging
For charging on the road, we’re building the Rivian Adventure Network — a comprehensive nationwide network of fast-charging stations capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. The network pairs with your vehicle to help you get to your destination by automatically routing you through any needed charging stops along the way. Beyond our own network, we are also integrating with other nationwide CCS networks to ensure charging is always easily accessible — also available from your navigation.

At home, you can purchase and install our Rivian wall-mounted charging station, capable of delivering roughly 25 miles of range per hour. We can take care of installation as part of this purchase. Your vehicle also comes standard with a portable charging cable that neatly packs away and plugs into both 120V and 240V outlets, delivering up to 16 miles of range per hour.Âł
Nice that it comes with a 32A portable EVSE. Wonder what kind of adapters are included/available?
My guess is it comes standard as a 14-50 (common at campgrounds) with an adapter for 5-15.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Wonder what kind of adapters are included/available?
My guess is it comes standard as a 14-50 (common at campgrounds) with an adapter for 5-15.
As I usually do on questions like this I am assuming that they aren't going to be bested by Tesla and will probably have quite an assortment of pigtails with the plugs on one end and the programming in the other. Pick the one you need from the set and plug one end into the wall and the other into the "charger". So go look at Tesla store's website. I'll bet that's pretty representative of what you will be offered by Rivian.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
At home, you can purchase and install our Rivian wall-mounted charging station, capable of delivering roughly 25 miles of range per hour. ...Your vehicle also comes standard with a portable charging cable that neatly packs away and plugs into both 120V and 240V outlets, delivering up to 16 miles of range per hour.Âł
Assuming the efficiency of the charger to be about 90% these numbers say that consumption is going to be around 420 Wh/mi.
Sponsored