Sponsored

Rivian interior ambient light

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We do not know.

Early prototypes had it. But we have seen some interior bits change (dash fins, for example) and Rivian has not confirmed whether the accent lighting remains or if it's been removed.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I for one really hope it is still a thing. Gave it a nice effect in the cab on the one in LA auto show I saw. I do feel like if it was still a thing they would have said something about it in the interior reveal. but my hopes stay high that its still included.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

I hope so.. can’t cost that much, so I hope it didn’t get cut. Not as cool without the cool AC registers, though.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I really hope it stays an option. I absolutely love well done ambient lighting in cars. I have a loaner Range Rover Sport right now and they did such a good job with it's lighting.

Would love to see the R1T with some cool lighting options.

Wonder what color names they'd have?

I was watching a video on the new Acura TLX and they actually name an ambient lighting color "Wall Street" and it's Green. Kinda laughed...

My top Rivian ambient lightning names on the fly.

1. Sandstone (Brown/Orange)
2. Summit (Soft White)
3. Starburst (Yellow)
4. Campfire (Red/Orange)
5. Ocean (Blue/Green)
6. Northern Lights (Dark Majenta/Purple)
7. Dusk (Dark Blue/Grey)
8. Granite (Light Grey)

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone asked CS? They released the "interior details" seems like it's fair to ask. What're they gonna say, "more interior details for the R1T will be coming S00N?"

I mean... Maybe. But still.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I really hope it stays an option. I absolutely love well done ambient lighting in cars. I have a loaner Range Rover Sport right now and they did such a good job with it's lighting.

Would love to see the R1T with some cool lighting options.

Wonder what color names they'd have?

I was watching a video on the new Acura TLX and they actually name an ambient lighting color "Wall Street" and it's Green. Kinda laughed...

My top Rivian ambient lightning names on the fly.

1. Sandstone (Brown/Orange)
2. Summit (Soft White)
3. Starburst (Yellow)
4. Campfire (Red/Orange)
5. Ocean (Blue/Green)
6. Northern Lights (Dark Majenta/Purple)
7. Dusk (Dark Blue/Grey)
8. Granite (Light Grey)
ja_kub_sz,

When you mention the Red under "campfire", I've always wondered why manufacturers didn't put a solid red light inside of the interior to allow us to see at night. It's not unlike the red light in a film developing room or, as we see in Submarine, other Naval, and Air Force movies, the pure red filter or light allows you see illuminated objects objects without having your night vision impaired.

I have a funky pair of gold Glacier glasses that have red lenses and shields around the eyes not unlike a pair of welder's glasses. After wearing them outside in the bright sunlight, I can walk into a darkened room and it says so I've walked in from the outside in the middle of the night.

Years ago, I believe BMW was the first one to illuminate the dashboard with a red back light for this very reason. I I think one of the major Automotive magazines reported that BMW borrow that technology from the military for the same reasons. This red lighting allows you to have your dash and interior fairly well-lit to a bright level, while still retaining the ability to see more of what's outside the car. I also think pure indirect ambient light in a car's cabin is, like the campfire combination above, a warm and settling type of light.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Has anyone asked CS? They released the "interior details" seems like it's fair to ask. What're they gonna say, "more interior details for the R1T will be coming S00N?"

Hi, SeaGeo. We're as excited as you are to be driving our Rivian's, soon. We understand you're interested in [insert feature here] Ambient Interior Lighting. We look forward to sharing these details with you soon in the near future. Deliveries start in June July [redact-until: July 31] eventually[/redact-until]!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
ja_kub_sz,

When you mention the Red under "campfire", I've always wondered why manufacturers didn't put a solid red light inside of the interior to allow us to see at night. It's not unlike the red light in a film developing room or, as we see in Submarine, other Naval, and Air Force movies, the pure red filter or light allows you see illuminated objects objects without having your night vision impaired.

I have a funky pair of gold Glacier glasses that have red lenses and shields around the eyes not unlike a pair of welder's glasses. After wearing them outside in the bright sunlight, I can walk into a darkened room and it says so I've walked in from the outside in the middle of the night.

Years ago, I believe BMW was the first one to illuminate the dashboard with a red back light for this very reason. I I think one of the major Automotive magazines reported that BMW borrow that technology from the military for the same reasons. This red lighting allows you to have your dash and interior fairly well-lit to a bright level, while still retaining the ability to see more of what's outside the car. I also think pure indirect ambient light in a car's cabin is, like the campfire combination above, a warm and settling type of light.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

When I talked to CS I didn't get a solid answer of course but I have a feeling its no. unfortunately. I say we start a poll on who wants the Ambient lighting back and have it able to be different colors as well.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I had variable ambient lights in our last ICE vehicle. Played with it when we got it. Set it to a color (blue?) and never changed it for 7 years or even noticed it much for that matter.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Greg,

Honestly, my first thought was “What the hell?!” And then I remembered the line, and immediately burst out laughing. Then I cranked it up. Now my pets are looking at me with great concern. Or is it suspicion?.....Or both(?)

You are now permanently linked to The Police. Luckily, only in my brain.... I hope. ??‍♂-U-?

Thanks for getting me to laugh. It was greatly needed! ?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I noticed this in the MotorTrend interior video. There will be at least some adjustable interior accent lighting

R1T accent.png
WHoo hoo!! I want more! I don't think its the dash like the cool concept had but I did notice other small lights around the cab.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian interior ambient light 1630440586704

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO

I asked my guide directly.. and I asked regarding whether or not Rivian would support homelink style garage door openers...

This was her response.

It has been a while since we last spoke so I’m super happy to hear from you and hope you are doing well! I can’t wait for November to get here so you can begin your adventures in the R1T (and I will be expecting pictures of all the awesome places you go).

These are all really great questions and I have forwarded them to the appropriate teams for additional information.

Regarding HomeLink, we will have Alexa integration. Our Alexa functionality is different because in a Rivian, Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire.

The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline. An example: “Alexa, is my Rivian charging?”

What I can also share at this time is that in addition to the in-vehicle infotainment system, Rivian will be offering a mobile app with many features designed to make your ownership experience seamless and unique. Though I don’t have exact timing on when we will be sharing this information, I do know that the teams have put a lot of thought and effort into creating a user-friendly experience and we are definitely listening to our community’s wants and needs!

We will be releasing a lot of information in the coming weeks as we are launching, but I will follow up when I get more answers to your specific questions. I’m glad you reached out, Gordon, and hope you are staying safe with all the wildfires currently. I have been keeping all my California people in my thoughts. If there’s anything I can help you with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Your Rivian Guide,

So basically they referred my question about lighting to the appropriate team and were getting Alexa for garage door opening ?
Sponsored