First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T, Audi Q5, Case-IH
Occupation
Lean XP/SW Consultant
I own two EVs; a Tesla Model SLR (refreshed), and a 2023 R1T, and I once owned a 2018 Tesla Model 3P. I would like to say that my experiences with Rivian's Customer Service compared to my experiences with Tesla are night and day opposites.

I enjoy and appreciate both vehicles - they are very different in transporting me, but there is one thing that is noticeably different in Rivian's attitude and something that makes a huge difference - consideration, thoughtfulness, and caring for your customers.

There were times when I needed to reach Tesla Customer Service and no one would answer the phone, or my questions would go unanswered for days. It was so frustrating and infuriating - if you own(ed) a Tesla you might be able to relate.

With Rivian I am always able to connect with a real person AND often late at night on a weekend a Rivian person is calling JUST TO CHECK if my situation was dealt with to my satisfaction. Just the other day, Jan 1st at 2:00 am after ringing in 2024, I wondered if I could connect with Rivian Customer Service (I saw someplace where it said 24/7), and WOW I reached Michelle in Plymouth, WI, at 2 am, who was so incredibly helpful, kind, and considerate. I asked if I could order a full-size spare tire and what was the likelihood of picking it up this Friday, Jan 5. Unfortunately, I was out of luck as the lead time is about 7-10 days.

However, first thing this morning, Jan 2, the head of the Minneapolis Service Center called to say, I see that you're hoping to get a full-size spare and hoping to get it this week, we can help you, we happen to have one here.

My point is, so far I've had 0 (zero, nil, nada) bad experiences in trying to reach Rivian Customer Service and I find myself emphasizing this weird anomaly every time I have a head-banging good customer service experience with Rivian.

Thank you to the service center folks in Minneapolis/St Louis Park, MN, and to Michelle in Plymouth MI.

Maybe it's just me - I'm grateful, the difference is next level and it matters.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

That's great to hear! And that's the experience that I have with them as well. And I've also owned a couple of Teslas and what you say about their customer services. Absolutely correct. The only thing I would add is that good customer service and thoughtful consideration are also contagious. Unfortunately the opposite is also true.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
One thing Tesla has over Rivian... you can actually call your Tesla SC and speak with someone at that location. Rivian makes you call their national Call Center who then has to call the SC and ask them to call you back which many times doesn't happen for days or not at all. It's a hugely inefficient and frustrating process.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
One thing Tesla has over Rivian... you can actually call your Tesla SC and speak with someone at that location. Rivian makes you call their national Call Center who then has to call the SC and ask them to call you back which many times doesn't happen for days or not at all. It's a hugely inefficient and frustrating process.
In my experience (x2), Costa Mesa SC didn’t pick up when the national service rep called them to sort out issues with my full size spare order and mobile appointment. At vehicle delivery appt, when I arrive at the door, the delivery guide was not around to greet me. I walked inside, the front office employee glanced up and then back down at his pile of paperwork. As if whatever reason I was there for was none of his concern. Not even a smile. Delivery guide was good though, once he turned up.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ you're referring to Rivian right?

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I've also been generally happy with the RSC attitudes and responses, with the exception of the phone tree system. When one was swamped I never heard back for about a week after I was supposed to return my rental which can be frustrating when trying to plan out the return. They owned and apologized for that lack of communication and have been better reaching out since.

I do occasionally wish they had better onboarding/playtime with the vehicles and accessories. I was trying to describe a missing rubber boot on the base of the cargo cross bar and they requested a photo to understand which part I meant. It's the only removable part of that bar and is easily visible on their website vs me sending a photo of both sides to show what was missing. Small complaint but I think taking a couple hours to play or taking a loaner home for the day would go a long way towards familiarizing new team members with their products and save time in the end.

Meant for this to be more positive, it's hard to ramp service but glad they are getting better as they grow.
Sponsored