Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Screengrabs from the recent Rivian video, right after RJ dance-I mean the 1:55 mark ;)

Not an official announcement, but those few full-screen color frames seem preeetty intentionally added. Did you miss them the first time? I did. I won't tell you how many times I watched it before noticing.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-50
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-50_1
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-50_2
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-50_3
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-51
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-51_1
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-51_2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, I noticed those color samples too. Looks like the first hint of a red and black that we haven't seen before (well, I believe there was also a glimpse of a black shell in the building a test vehicle video). Looks like there may be a bright red similar to my current XC60.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Yeah, I took that as an official color reveal/tease. I wish they'd just show us some completed trucks in new colors already.

I love staged office footage. Like what are they actually doing with the swatches? We have one from our office where somebody's pointing at the single word "business" on a white board while the rest of the team looks very thoughtful. Actually made it to a pamphlet or the site IIRC.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
We've heard from numerous sources there will be 8 exterior colors.

In videos and screen grabs, I count 7: RJ Blue, Silver, White, and Forest Green are the ones we've seen before. Sage Green, Black and Red are new, as seen in screen grabs. A dark blue and/or charcoal might be candidates for the last spot. Light brown/beige has become a popular car color in recent years. So, given what's popular, dark blue, charcoal and brown/beige seem like top candidates for that last spot.

Maybe a special, launch edition color? What do you think the last one or two color choices will be?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Don't forget there was also the gray R1T down in South America and they also teased the sketch of the copper R1T. I'm not so sure about what you're calling sage green... I think that might just be the gray we've already seen. Unfortunately between taking a picture and rendering it on a display, there are many ways color accuracy can be compromised so it's hard to know for sure.

So far the silver and forest green are the only metallics they have shown. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more metallic paint options. Charcoal or dark blue would do well with metal flake although I'm not personally a fan of dark blue.

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I am holding out hope for a Charcoal/Gun Metal Grey.... But it there is a launch edition color I would certainly consider it..

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As electruck suggests, my forest green may be a gray, but even so the number of "known" colors are 7: white, gray/sage green, black, red, silver, forest green and RJ blue. So the last color will likely be charcoal, dark blue or brown/beige. Of these, the first two are fairly close to black and RJ blue, so if one is trying to cover the full spectrum of likely colors, by default some sort of brown/beige rises to the forefront. Lately, there's been a slew of Volvos, Mercedes, Caddies, Lexi and BMWs in brown. A copper-brown would be nice. Any brown would likely need some metallic to make it memorable.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As for the copper-brown, something like below would look nice. I noticed one sitting at my local dealer recently, liked it more than I thought I would. And it does seem similar to Rivian's recent copper R1T sketch. Although around here it could too easily be mistaken for UT's burnt orange especially during football season.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian colors samples from recent video 2020-04-23_19-51_2

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. A copper brown would be nice. Volvo has a rich maple brown which is rather dark but nice. In the right light, a deep, dark, rich brown can be quite appealing. But, in dim light, the richness of browns often disappears. I had a copper colored Lexus years ago and liked it a lot. It looked good in bright as well as dim light.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
I like that they are considering a darker blue - that would be my choice.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I like that they are considering a darker blue - that would be my choice.
So far, I think we're the only ones publicly considering a darker blue. I don't think there's any communication from Rivian suggesting it.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
So far, I think we're the only ones publicly considering a darker blue. I don't think there's any communication from Rivian suggesting it.
Duly noted. I will temper my hopes and expectations accordingly. Thanks.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Although around here it could too easily be mistaken for UT's burnt orange especially during football season.
This is fine by me :rock:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
My daughter starts at UT in the fall.... Hook'em

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

As for the copper-brown, something like below would look nice. I noticed one sitting at my local dealer recently, liked it more than I thought I would. And it does seem similar to Rivian's recent copper R1T sketch. Although around here it could too easily be mistaken for UT's burnt orange especially during football season.
I agree. A copper brown would be nice. Volvo has a rich maple brown which is rather dark but nice. In the right light, a deep, dark, rich brown can be quite appealing. But, in dim light, the richness of browns often disappears. I had a copper colored Lexus years ago and liked it a lot. It looked good in bright as well as dim light.
Cadillac has a nice shade called Autumn Metallic. They had a XT4 in that color sitting in front of the dealership for a couple months, and it was sharp.
Sponsored