Sponsored

Rivian-Capable Tire Shop Near DC

Phoenix864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad
Does anyone know of a tire shop/mechanic in the DC/southern Maryland area who can lift a Rivian? My R1S recently picked up a nail in one of the tires - after calling around to several local tire shops/mechanics, no one seemed to be prepared to lift a Rivian. At worst the R1S is too large/heavy for the shop and at best I'd have to provide pucks for the lift (probably worth getting a set, since no one nearby seems to have them). I've seen a few recommendations here for shops who have Rivian experience, but they are an hour+ from me. Ideally I'd like to find someone within ~30 minutes of the Takoma Park area. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
If you’re in Takoma Park, MD, you aren’t THAT far from the SC in Gaithersburg. Why not go there?

OP
OP

Phoenix864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad
If you’re in Takoma Park, MD, you aren’t THAT far from the SC in Gaithersburg. Why not go there?
Unfortunately scheduling service at the service center sooner than a few weeks out seems pretty hit or miss. Currently the first appointment I can schedule through the app is a month out. After calling Rivian, they managed to get something setup for mobile service (initially estimated to be 10+ days out, but managed to cut it down to two days). While mobile service hopefully has me covered now, it would still be nice to have an independent option in the event Rivian has a 10+ day wait on something that should be a simple fix.

OP
OP

Phoenix864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad
tldr; Radial Tire in Silver Spring is Rivian-capable, Rivian in-house service is super expensive.

Following up on this in case someone finds this thread in the future. After scheduling with Rivian, I happened to run into a post from another Rivian owner who said they had a good experience with Radial Tire in Silver Spring.

Rivian wasn't able to give me an estimate for the repair cost in advance. When the tech arrived, he evaluated the patch repair at $120 and recommended that if I could find an independent local shop, I should have the work done there instead. 10/10 experience with the tech - he was super friendly, helpful, honest, and arrived right on time. I just wouldn't recommend on using Rivan for anything besides Rivian-specific repairs or warrenty work.

Radial Tire was happy to do the work and said they had prior experince with Rivians. They work first come-first serve, but they had me out the door in 45 minutes for a total cost of $18 (due to the small size of the puncture, they evaluated that only a plug was needed). For a larger puncture, they qouted a patch at $30 - still pretty reasonable in my book.

Overall a good experince, though I'd recommend giving them the fob instead of a keycard. I gave them a keycard - the person who took the car had no trouble with the card, but gear guard recorded a different tech yanking on the handle for 30 seconds as they failed to use the card.

Crashvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully a R1S soon!
Clubs

Did Radial Tires have the pucks?

Sponsored

Whhrheb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. I don't have any tire issues at the moment, but if I did, other than the service center (which is lovely but you just can't count on availability), I wouldn't even know where to go, given our lack of Discount Tire.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Did Radial Tires have the pucks?
If they don't have them, we do. We have put thousands of our magnetic jack puck kits in owners hands. Buy today, ship today.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian-Capable Tire Shop Near DC 20231007_083042
Sponsored