Sponsored

Rivian app connectivity issues? Anyone else or just me?

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
My Rivian fails to "wake up" upon sending a command through the app.

Most of the time, when I use the Rivian app I can never get my R1T pass the "waking" stage. I'll force quit the app or switch off Wi-Fi thinking that might help. It never does. Doesn't seem to matter if the truck is plugged in or not. Only if the truck is currently charging does it stay awake to receive a command like starting climate, but if the truck is asleep I can almost never wake it up.

I'd like to start the climate while I'm walking to my truck, on my way out of a store, leaving the gym, or generally just a few minutes before I'm ready to drive. Since I can remember I've never been able to successfully "wake" the Rivian.

Who else has this issue? How frequently does your Rivian fail to "wake"?

2022 R1T 15,100 miles VIN 11,7XX
iPhone 13

For what it's worth I love the R1T. Best vehicle ever. Just frustrated I can't ever wake the Rivian after once it's asleep.
Sponsored

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
As far as I know, all of the app actions use cellular, not Bluetooth. Meaning that if they aren't working, either, there's a problem between your phone and Rivian's servers, or Rivian's servers and your truck.

Do you notice any slowness with getting data to load either on your phone, or in your truck? I wonder if the cellular module in your truck needs to be serviced.

Or maybe tech support need to take a look to make sure your truck is assigned to your app properly? It could be a linkage is broken somewhere on the back end, so either your requests go to the ether, are being sent to the wrong truck šŸ˜…

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
Thank you for your reply. Sometimes when switching to Spotify it will fail to download. Switching off music and back to music usually refreshes something and it works. Fairly intermittent though.

txoutdoorsman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My Rivian fails to "wake up" upon sending a command through the app.

Most of the time, when I use the Rivian app I can never get my R1T pass the "waking" stage. I'll force quit the app or switch off Wi-Fi thinking that might help. It never does. Doesn't seem to matter if the truck is plugged in or not. Only if the truck is currently charging does it stay awake to receive a command like starting climate, but if the truck is asleep I can almost never wake it up.

I'd like to start the climate while I'm walking to my truck, on my way out of a store, leaving the gym, or generally just a few minutes before I'm ready to drive. Since I can remember I've never been able to successfully "wake" the Rivian.

Who else has this issue? How frequently does your Rivian fail to "wake"?

2022 R1T 15,100 miles VIN 11,7XX
iPhone 13

For what it's worth I love the R1T. Best vehicle ever. Just frustrated I can't ever wake the Rivian after once it's asleep.
Several months ago, I had to replace the communication module on my R1T. No connection issues since. Love this truck too!

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
Interesting. So did you have a complete communication failure through the app or partial? Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it did not?

Thank you for the comment!

I do have an appointment with the Kansas City Service Center and my issues have been well documented with the service team. I must say that I couldnā€™t be more pleased with the customer service, knowledge, and willingness to correct a concern Iā€™ve had. Iā€™ve never had this level of customer service from anyone on any product ever.

Sponsored

txoutdoorsman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Interesting. So did you have a complete communication failure through the app or partial? Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it did not?

Thank you for the comment!

I do have an appointment with the Kansas City Service Center and my issues have been well documented with the service team. I must say that I couldnā€™t be more pleased with the customer service, knowledge, and willingness to correct a concern Iā€™ve had. Iā€™ve never had this level of customer service from anyone on any product ever.
Mine was a complete failure. Wouldnā€™t show vehicle location, didnā€™t update odometer reading, etc

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'85 Monte Carlo SS, '20 I-Pace, '15 F-150,
Clubs

I'm having the same problem. When I try to lock / unlock the R1T from the app at home, it flashes the command in the app and says waking vehicle. but it never wakes and the command fails "Couldn't wake vehicle, Something went wrong, try again". The same happens with climate controls to turn on heat or seats. It seems that the truck is stuck in sleep mode and won't wake up. I can walk out to the vehicle and successfully issue commands when close enough for blue tooth.

Maybe a diabetic Coma?

Samsung S20 phone
R1T software 2023.50.01
App version 2.51.

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
I had my Rivian at the KC Service Center for a week and they could not duplicate the issue. It worked everytime with their shop phones. They made sure it was asleep for hours and even overnight and it worked for them every time.

I just got it back so I havenā€™t had a chance to try again. I did get a iPhone 15 Pro so maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and it will work better than my 13.

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I experimented a bit more. The app does wake the vehicle when not at home, so I turned off the wi-fi on my phone. And the App works fine. I can only guess on what the issue is. But try this if you're having trouble. Hopefully this will be a fix in the next update, "for a small number of cases..."

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I experimented a bit more. The app does wake the vehicle when not at home, so I turned off the wi-fi on my phone. And the App works fine. I can only guess on what the issue is. But try this if you're having trouble. Hopefully this will be a fix in the next update, "for a small number of cases..."
Add me to the ā€œsmall number of cases.ā€ I have the exact same behavior as yours. Iā€™ll try turning off wi-fi on my phone at home to see if that helps. Currently, I grab the fob at home to unlock the truck and then set the climate controls. Regardless, a two step process at home shouldnā€™t be necessary.

Sponsored

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

To close this out, the app is now working for me in all cases with the most recent app update and vehicle software update. This includes the new widget available for Android phones.

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
I havenā€™t had any issues with waking the R1. Rivian Service claimed to not have done anything about it as they were unable to duplicate the issue. I did end up with an iPhone 15 Pro while the R1 was in service. Works every time. So awesome. Perhaps it was a phone issue.
Sponsored