Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

I bought a used Rigid Armor swing arm hitch mount spare tire carrier from a local seller. After a quick test fit, I was sold. The model is a Subaru Cross-Trek Hybrid version link: https://www.rigid-armor.com/shop/subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-swing-out-tire-carrier

He also had the optional fold down table link: https://www.rigid-armor.com/shop/swing-out-carrier-fold-out-table

He sold me both for $900 (versus $1100 + $275 list price).

To use the carrier with the R1S, I used a 2” aluminum wheel spacer link: GDSMOTU 5x5.5 Wheel Spacers 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KY48NNR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also had to drill two 1/2” holes through the steel tire mounting plate (using $20 cobalt bit, basic cordless DIY drill, and some oil lubricant from a hair clipper). The Subaru bolt pattern is 5 x 100 mm, while the R1S is 5 x 139 mm.

Lastly, to attach the license plate I used:
- 12 x 2 x 2” wood painted black
- two dryers vent clamps (Deflecto 4" Metal Worm Drive Clamps, 2 Pk MCX4/4)
- included Rivian front license plate bracket
- strips of window/door foam weather strips to prevent clamps from scratching paint on hitch

I simply wrapped the clamps/foam weather strips around the 2 x 2” wood and the actual swing arm. I then attached the Rivian plate mount to the wood with a couple screws. Thanks for the idea @909phillyman!

I don’t have actual clearance measurements, but I did place the key fob in some of the photos for scale. Apologize for the dusty pics, just finished a trail!

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3827

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3828

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3825

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3821

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3822

About 1.5” of space between table release lever and rear hatch.

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3816

Hitch attaches with only a few mm of space to rear bumper. Rigid Armor has great anti-wobble hitch tensioner that prevents any movement!

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3814

Plenty of clearance to open hatch.

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3813

2” spacer (viewed from inside)

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3721

Added two lower mounting holes/bolts to attach wheel spacer.

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3722

License plate attachment

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3829

Rigid Armor is based out of SoCal and they also have a “Swing down” version of the hitch spare carrier. Before finding this used one, I sent R1S measurements to the manufacturer and they said the stock Tacoma swing down version would fit the R1S. If anyone is interested and lives close by, it would be interesting to bring an R1S to see if the Tacoma Swing Arm version fits as well. It might be better centered since it’s built for the wider Tacoma versus the Cross Trek version.

All in all I’m super happy with the purchase. If you can find a used one for a deal, go for it!
Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Nice set up!

R1TCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150 GSA
Thanks for sharing. Nice and clear write up. Looks like an effective solution.
When you use the table function how’s the height of it for function? I’m imagining it being sort of low?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Si.LE.R1S

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. Nice and clear write up. Looks like an effective solution.
When you use the table function how’s the height of it for function? I’m imagining it being sort of low?
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3833

Table is 36” high in kneel mode.

Planning on a single burner electric cooktop (although outlet is on other side - true 1st world problems…)

R1TCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150 GSA
IMG_3833.jpeg

Table is 36” high in kneel mode.

Planning on a single burner electric cooktop (although outlet is on other side - true 1st world problems…)
That’s great. You could use it sitting in a fairly tall chair even. Then out of kneel mode and it would be pretty good cook height !

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Do you need the spacer? It looks like the tire/wheel would fit without it and it would sit closer to the vehicle plus be less likely to move.

Also, does the lower tailgate clear the cross bar?

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Thanks for the information. Does the license plate have to be lit in NV?

OP
OP
Si.LE.R1S

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Do you need the spacer? It looks like the tire/wheel would fit without it and it would sit closer to the vehicle plus be less likely to move.

Also, does the lower tailgate clear the cross bar?
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3834
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3835

Definitely need spacer with Rivian offset. Maybe not with other aftermarket wheels. Hitch has two accessory 2” hitch tubes. The tire blocks the upper with a clearance of 1/2” on the diagonal. The lower hitch tube is still accessible for a hitch shackle.

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3839
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3838
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3837
Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3840

There is a locking latch point that sticks up from the hitch cross bar. With the wheel on, there is a 1/4” clearance. I haven’t measured with the wheel off, but I recall the clearance is slightly less without the wheel. I have a little piece of foam I put over the latch point if I have to climb into the back just in case.

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3835

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3839

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3838

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review IMG_3840

Sponsored

OP
OP
Si.LE.R1S

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for the information. Does the license plate have to be lit in NV?
Yep. That’s a project for this coming weekend. Been living dangerously the past couple weeks!

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ahh it won't fit because of the secondary hitch point, but at the same time you can't use the secondary swing out hitch point anyway.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Boy, would like to see a similar solution for the R1T where a 'swing-out' would allow for the tailgate to go down. Having to unload the bed to get at the spare could be problematic depending on the area/cargo.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Looks great!

Personally I always thought the spare tire carrier on the last generation Chevy Blazers was the most ideal solution. Mounted to the body instead of putting all that weight on the hitch. And I like how easy it was to swing out of the way (with a handle). Wish they'd make something like this for Rivian, but I understand not a lot of people are going to want to bolt into their body this way. 😆

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review 1695154975049

Rivian R1T R1S Rigid Armor hitch spare tire carrier for R1S -- installed photos & review 1695155100590
Sponsored