kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yah- something something motor carbon sleeves something something...does Lucid make a truck?

SUV coming "SOON" lol. Good on Lucid for their tech, Rivian I guess is using some COTS motors but has great implementation of it, I guess 2nd gen will be even better but lets get on that 1st gen.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yah- something something motor carbon sleeves something something...does Lucid make a truck?
They do not make a truck, have plans for an SUV (called Gravity) starting around 90K but not expected before 2023 and if it is like the car it will start with the premium version probably well past the 130K so the lower 90K version maybe 2025??

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Apparently they don't differentiate between "drivetrain" and "motors." Sure the Lucid motors may be evolutionary compared with other electric motors, but to imply that Rivian's drivetrain isn't also evolutionary is disingenuous at best bordering on intentionally misleading.
Other than sticking a motor at each wheel (which isn't what I'd call revolutionary tech personally), what's revolutionary about the drivetrain? I personally haven't seem anything particularly unique about the drivetrain from battery to the motors, but I'm probably missing something.

Which isn't necessarily bad.

Last edited:

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I went to their showroom in my city. I've been told that their motors are designed with a lot of lightweight materials and have been R&D'd to be extremely efficient. The same was said regarding the batteries and its weight. Couple that with how aerodynamically efficient the vehicle is all that adds up. When I walked into the showroom, I too walked in with a low expectation concerning "it's another EV with nothing special about their drivetrain other than being a typical EV set up". I walked away being thoroughly impressed and surprised.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I view it as Tesla having the best software and self driving technology, Mercedes the best luxury, Porsche the best looks and handling, Lucid the best powertrain and efficiency, and Rivian the best design.

Lucid's powertrain is really impressive. Arguably the best in the world for a soon to be production vehicle. Otherwise it's an attractive car (not drop dead gorgeous) with luxury somewhere between the Porsche Taycan and Mercedes EQS. Their range and vehicle packaging (cabin room and storage space) will be its most attractive features. It will be interesting to see their SUV and its storage space.

Rivian doesn't seem to have any ground breaking technology, but instead the best designed electric truck/SUV. They have done an excellent job utilizing the EV platform to design the best all around truck/SUV. It does a lot of things really well which usually makes for a better vehicle versus having only one thing it does better than everyone else.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Every time I get an email from Lucid, I think, "Why can't Rivian communicate this often (and this clearly)?"

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Other than sticking a motor at each wheel (which isn't what I'd call revolutionary tech personally), what's revolutionary about the drivetrain? I personally haven't seem anything particularly unique about the drivetrain from battery to the motors, but I'm probably missing something.

When you drive one, it feels revolutionary. It's the software that the 4-wheel factor enables that matters.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

You’re right that the concept of one motor per wheel is hardly ground-breaking, but talking about a concept and building a commercially-available product are two different things. Lucid is first to market with more efficient motor tech like this and Rivian is first to market with one motor for each of the 4 wheels on a consumer 4x4. Well, as far as I know that’s true for the two companies.

I really like both companies and their products. It would be kind of cool if they worked jointly in some way in the future.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
When you drive one, it feels revolutionary. It's the software that the 4-wheel factor enables that matters.
You’re right that the concept of one motor per wheel is hardly ground-breaking, but talking about a concept and building a commercially-available product are two different things. Lucid is first to market with more efficient motor tech like this and Rivian is first to market with one motor for each of the 4 wheels on a consumer 4x4. Well, as far as I know that’s true for the two companies.

I really like both companies and their products. It would be kind of cool if they worked jointly in some way in the future.
Thanks guys. I agree that the implementation is revolutionary. I was curious about technology specifically like Lucid's motors or their system voltage. It sounds like we aren't aware of components that aren't really off the shelf or consistent with what's been produced (on the component level) over the last 2 to 4 years.

Not a dig, having stable readily available components aren't necessarily a bad thing. People have enjoyed having basically the same engine in the Wrangler for really long periods of time. :)

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
In Rivian's case, it's more than one motor per wheel that makes up the drivetrain. It's also the air suspension system coupled with the hydraulic kinetic dampers borrowed from McLaren. Check out Motor Trend's detailed explanation of Rivian's "more than evolutionary" but "not quite revolutionary" drivetrain and suspension. And it all works together extremely well.

This is what sets Rivian apart: it's really good on-road, like a sports sedan, and it's really good off-road, like a customized Jeep or 4Runner. Rivian gives you so much more than a vehicle optimized to do one thing well. That's the Rivian difference. That's what sets Rivian apart.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In Rivian's case, it's more than one motor per wheel that makes up the drivetrain. It's also the air suspension system coupled with the hydraulic kinetic dampers borrowed from McLaren. Check out Motor Trend's detailed explanation of Rivian's "more than evolutionary" but "not quite revolutionary" drivetrain. And it all works together extremely well.

This is what sets Rivian apart: it's really good on-road, like a sports sedan, and it's really good off-road, like a customized Jeep or 4Runner. Rivian gives you so much more than a vehicle optimized to do one thing well. That's the Rivian difference. That's what sets Rivian apart.
yeah, the suspension system is the surprise winner for what I'm most excited about.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The EPA numbers for the EQS have come in: 340 miles for the dual-motor 580 and 350 miles for the single-motor 450.

Pretty paltry, in my view.

I called my brother to discuss the news. The first words out of his mouth: "they could do 470 if they turned off the interior lighting."

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The EPA numbers for the EQS have come in: 340 miles for the dual-motor 580 and 350 miles for the single-motor 450.

Pretty paltry, in my view.

I called my brother to discuss the news. The first words out of his mouth: "they could do 470 if they turned off the interior lighting."
I just went thru and configured the Air, EQS, and Model S in a way that I would most likely purchase for each.
All came out in the $95K to $105K price ballpark before the current tax credit.
If the tax credit stays as is:
EQS: $98K with a range of ~350
Model S : $105K with a range of 405
Air Touring: $88K+ (not all options are priced) with 406 miles of range

IF I was in the market for a higher end "luxury" sedan, the Lucid would be at the top of my list. The EQS vs Tesla would be a harder call. The EQS definitely wins (by a huge margin) on the luxury quotient. The Tesla wins on its charging network and UI/software.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I don't know why I've never noticed this about Lucid, but I guess it puts them on the "hard pass" list for some people on this forum:

Rivian R1T R1S Reviews coming in for Lucid Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 3.12.52 PM
Sponsored