Sponsored

Reservations About My Reservation

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Could be - I can only speak from my anecdotal evidence of ordering a MINI Cooper from the factory, and there was just one order deposit which would have been fully refundable even if I decided not to pick it up at the dealership once completed.
Another possibility is that it they could just lock in our existing deposit as non-refundable once we config.
Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I agree with all of the concerns about ordering people have listed in this thread. But as I sit in my home office looking at the thickest smoke I've ever seen outside my window, with an in-room air filter between my legs, and my kids playing in the next room because they can't leave the house, I cannot imagine ever buying an ICE vehicle again.
Plus I'll be getting a mid-range R1S so will have at least a few months to read reviews and get first impressions.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Normal concerns for a new vehicle. I felt the same way when I ordered my Model 3 having never sat in one, much less driven one. Granted, Tesla was already established with the S and X, but many of the same concerns apply. It was the best decision of my life. Now I hope to make it the 2nd best decision of my life by buying an R1S

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Another possibility is that it they could just lock in our existing deposit as non-refundable once we config.
This is the most likely scenario in my opinion, and is the same as Tesla has done in the past. My deposit was refundable until I configured and submitted (and possibly still refundable for a few days after that, IIRC).

I am late in the reservation queue, but plan to spec a "fully loaded" vehicle, so that'll likely bump me up a little. Still, I think others will have their vehicles first so I'll have at least a few data points even if I haven't sat in one. I have adapted to most any car I've ever owned, so I'm not terribly worried about it.. just want to make sure it's a reliable vehicle that delivers what's promised.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
This is the most likely scenario in my opinion, and is the same as Tesla has done in the past. My deposit was refundable until I configured and submitted (and possibly still refundable for a few days after that, IIRC).

I am late in the reservation queue, but plan to spec a "fully loaded" vehicle, so that'll likely bump me up a little. Still, I think others will have their vehicles first so I'll have at least a few data points even if I haven't sat in one. I have adapted to most any car I've ever owned, so I'm not terribly worried about it.. just want to make sure it's a reliable vehicle that delivers what's promised.
I received this note in response to my inquiry about delivery timelines and whether battery size dictated delivery dates. “ Your unique delivery timeline will be heavily influenced by your unique vehicle configuration-not solely limited to the battery size. You will receive a clearer picture of this timeline in our Configurator tool launching soon! “ I just reserved this week so I’m not expecting to see a vehicle for at least 18 months.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You will receive a clearer picture of this timeline in our Configurator tool launching soon! “
It can't come soon enough. We've seen a lot of "later this year", so I like the change to "soon".

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
It can't come soon enough. We've seen a lot of "later this year", so I like the change to "soon".
On the most recent video Rivian posted, someone in the comments asked about the configurator, and the response was “Our configurator tool is right around the corner! We’ll be in touch with more details soon”

So we’ve got “right around the corner” and “soon” all in one comment!

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Without the ability to see/touch in person, I am still keeping my options open. Even though I am a November 2018 reservation holder and live 25 miles from the factory, until I have a solid understanding of capabilities, cost, options, etc... I will be paying attention to the upcoming Hummer EV reveal and a potential F150 EV. Call them dinosaurs, but they have the capacity to move quickly if they want. Thought I read a rumor about the electric F150 moving it's schedule up to better compete.
One of my issues even though I am a weekend warrior, I use a truck to haul stuff. The short 4' bed concerns me but if real world trailer data is good I can live with it. Also while level 3 autonomy is 'cool' I am not sure it is practical in the next 5 years [think driving on rural roads in the winter] so a more 'practical' truck with less autonomous that is not used may sell better.
That being said, the more production intent videos Rivian posts, the more excited I get... less camping videos and more status/production updates will keep the interest high for me.

Next few months will be interesting - will GMC or Ford tempt me more? Hell even the new 2021 F150 has an onboard hybrid system now with 220v to the back of the truck as an option. If I end up not being comfortable for whatever reason for any of the first gen EV trucks, I'll go with one of these.

FWIW - no consideration for CT, just too butt ugly for me. To each his/her own... yes I am more of a 'traditional' truck driver - but isn't that were all the sales will be after the initial demand settles in? I mean, how many 20 something professional rock climbers with disposable income are out there? :)

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I hear you, gombater. When Rivian announced in November 2018, when you and I preordered, the BEV truck market was wide open and Rivian could choose wherever it wanted to nail down a stake.
It chose "adventure trucking".

That was then, this is now. I'm not sure Rivian would choose the same marketing stance today, but the basics haven't changed at all, and they are: a supremely capable on- and off-road truck (more capable in terms of performance than anything else announced or in development), the ability to carry at least five and as many as seven passengers, good to excellent range, especially given the vehicle's form factor, hopefully, reasonably good reliability, service and warranty, and a fair price.

All of that hasn't changed. Maybe you'd want to put a different marketing spin on it two years later, but Rivian's promised capabilities haven't really changed. They're not work trucks. That market will be targeted by Lordstown, Ford, GM and whatever other BEV work trucks make that cut. But, at maximum capacity, Rivian's Normal plant, near your home, will produce 200-250K trucks and vans per year, and it will be at least a couple of years before Normal hits max capacity. Rivian has time to consider where it wants to be in five year's time.

For now, Rivian is all set. It has financial backing, top management talent, a terrific engineering and production team, vehicles in prototype testing, follow-on vehicles in design and development, and everything pretty well lined up and almost ready to go. I'm optimistic not only about carrying through with my November 2018 preorder but also about Rivian's long-term future.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I mean, how many 20 something professional rock climbers with disposable income are out there? :)
It would be quite interesting to know the demographics of people on here!

For instance, I am a twenty-something with disposable income! Though, the only rock climbing I ever did was in high school aha

Sponsored

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I mean, how many 20 something professional rock climbers with disposable income are out there? :)
Based on the ubiquity of the "van life" movement, I bet there are a lot more than you'd think. Good "van life" rigs are easily in the price range of Rivian's lineup (with off the shelf solutions extending much higher), and go to any outdoor recreation hot spot and you'll see tons of them.

Granted, I'm exactly the type that their marketing is targeting, but I think it's actually reasonable to go after the Tacoma crowd knowing that the big 3 truck manufacturers will (eventually) serve the work truck crowd.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I'm not a 20-something rock climber. I'm a camper and hiker, though, and I also own a few acres that I manage myself. I've never been a truck guy, so a full size work pickup is overkill. Something that can tow my small camper, do small dump runs and be used to deliver gravel or mulch to the house is perfect for me, which is why Rivian is a solid fit. It also has to be a reasonable daily driver, and it has to be an EV.

Cybertruck is too showy for me. Hell, my Model X is too showy for me, but there are no other EV towing options out there, so that's what I've got.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm not 20 something. Not even 30, 40 or 50 something.
My wife and I have camped for decades on our motorcycles, but we are starting to curtail longer trips. We seem to be able to find more reasons not to travel as far - too much freeway/hot weather/cold weather/wet weather/fire smoke/etc. Don't know if we are getting softer or smarter. Takes a relatively long time to set up and tear down the tent, sleeping pads, bags, etc. Cooking on small backpacking stove with no fridge or storage for food to speak of also has it's challenges.
Looking at a Rivian and RTT to get us back to places we want to camp and hike again - Utah parks, Banff/Jasper, Colorado Rockies. Might even mean some longer trips to visit relatives in the Midwest instead of flying.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I'm not 20 something. Not even 30, 40 or 50 something.
My wife and I have camped for decades on our motorcycles, but we are starting to curtail longer trips. We seem to be able to find more reasons not to travel as far - too much freeway/hot weather/cold weather/wet weather/fire smoke/etc. Don't know if we are getting softer or smarter. Takes a relatively long time to set up and tear down the tent, sleeping pads, bags, etc. Cooking on small backpacking stove with no fridge or storage for food to speak of also has it's challenges.
Looking at a Rivian and RTT to get us back to places we want to camp and hike again - Utah parks, Banff/Jasper, Colorado Rockies. Might even mean some longer trips to visit relatives in the Midwest instead of flying.
I'm interested what your choice of accomodation would be - towing a trailer or would you use a pop up tent? I'm liking the idea of a roof mounted pop up tent like some photos but as I get older, climbing up ladders is getting harder.

-D

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm interested what your choice of accomodation would be - towing a trailer or would you use a pop up tent? I'm liking the idea of a roof mounted pop up tent like some photos but as I get older, climbing up ladders is getting harder.

-D
Looking at a hard shell Roof Top Tent (RTT). The big disadvantage is indeed the ladder, but being able to have a decent bed/mattress and being able to keep the bedding in place when closing the tent is attractive. As is not having roots/rocks/uneven ground under your spine or hips.
Won't miss packing up the tent and rolling/compressing the sleeping pads and bags. Camping by motorcycle is not too different than backpacking except weight is not much issue (space is the constraining factor).

Moving off of motorcycles and into an enclosed vehicle will be a big transition - no matter what you do you lose track of a certain connection and awareness of the environment and conditions. Dropping into a valley and feeling the temperature change, the welcome humidity and associated coolness form a field being irrigated, the smell of the crops/forest/berries/etc. The flip side is being exposed to the unrelenting heat or the rain/hail/snow when those are the conditions.

Don't want the hassle of a trailer and motorhomes are just not for us (about as far on the other end of the agility and maneuverability spectrum from motorcycles as you can get).
Sponsored