DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
I have all those same thoughts and concerns. I realize I’m not behaving reasonably buying an unseen, unproven vehicle Just because I’ve wanted an electric truck for YEARS.
You will have an opportunity to see and drive it before purchase (assuming COVID restrictions ease before next summer)

Hmp10

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I can't imagine manufacturers holding us liable for the full value of the vehicle until we take delivery - can they?
I've bought two Teslas and was required to wire the full balance to Tesla before they would set up a delivery appointment. They expect you to rely on their 7-day return policy if something is wrong with the vehicle. Some sketchy communications from Lucid about delivery plans suggest they are going the same way.

Although these are vehicles, they are also merchandise that is sold on the internet where most transactions are for items you don't see before buying and for which you must pay before shipment. Early signs are that is going to be the arrangement that will carry into auto sales on the internet, at least for manufacturers that do not have a dealer network.

catmandew

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 2.0T, Lexus ES 350, Chevrolet S10
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes it reduces the payment in other ways besides a straight up Capital Cost Reduction.

BMW did not pass on the entire $7,500 in the early leases for the i3 - IIRC it was ~$4,500 of it.
Chevy's early leases on the Bolt applied about ~$3,500 as a CCR, with additional amounts going to an artificially high residual value reducing the depreciation and rent portions of the lease (GM financial could not sell it for the residual at the end of the lease and therefoe showed an early profit offset by a loss at lease end) combined with a below market money factor. All of these worked to get about the same monthly payment as if they had directly applied the $7,500 as a CCR.

If you haven't seen it before, this site can be a nice source of info when lease shopping:
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

My local Audi dealers shows that they are applying $7,500 as a CCR on their advertised e tron leases.
Thanks, DucRider!

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Looking at a hard shell Roof Top Tent (RTT). The big disadvantage is indeed the ladder, but being able to have a decent bed/mattress and being able to keep the bedding in place when closing the tent is attractive. As is not having roots/rocks/uneven ground under your spine or hips.
Won't miss packing up the tent and rolling/compressing the sleeping pads and bags. Camping by motorcycle is not too different than backpacking except weight is not much issue (space is the constraining factor).
Those are the advantages I see too. Do you think there would be a clamshell design, one that would fold out towards the bed and make it an extra large rooftop tent? Would fit the R1S too...

Being able to stop, pop the tent and get in, while the weather is foul, is a huge advantage to me. Though I'm also wondering how you could integrate the AC/kitchen into the tent so if you did want to boil the kettle without getting out, you could...

-D

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
2016 Model X 90D, 2014 Model S P85
I've bought two Teslas and was required to wire the full balance to Tesla before they would set up a delivery appointment. They expect you to rely on their 7-day return policy if something is wrong with the vehicle.
I refused to wire the funds to Tesla in advance, and brought a personal check to delivery for both vehicles. They accepted that in 2014 and 2016; policies may have changed since then.

Regarding the R1T having a somewhat "luxurious" interior and that being incompatible with adventure seeking, I don't think I agree. So long as it's easy to clean, there's no downside to having something comfortable. Airstreams are sold to people who want to park at an RV park and do nothing but enjoy being away from home, but also sold to people who want to boondock in the National Forests/BLM land and go climbing or hiking. We fit the latter category.

There's a risk of gatekeeping here, and I personally would like to avoid that. If someone buys a Rivian for a daily driver, never puts anything in the bed besides a backpack, and never goes hiking once, that's still a perfectly legitimate use for them. Just as if someone buys it to tent camp somewhere that's barely accessible, that's a legitimate use. The broader the appeal, the more likely the company is to be successful.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
I refused to wire the funds to Tesla in advance, and brought a personal check to delivery for both vehicles. They accepted that in 2014 and 2016; policies may have changed since then.
You paid for your vehicle via ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer. That is the same thing you would have done had you paid online the previous night. Rather than bring a check you could have simply paid on line at the store. Your check was scanned or photographed and the instant that was done the funds were transferred from your account to Tesla's. The first time I encountered this I was quite puzzled. I was buying a Lexus and was sent in to see the finance lady. After I said I didn't wan't any extended warranty I asked how to pay for it. She said to just write a personal check. I did, she dropped it into a scanner and handed it back to me. I asked how did she know it wouldn't bounce. She replied that it didn't.

So if you want to put eyes on the car before you authorize the ACH I don't see why Tesla or Rivian should object. They won't give you the car until you do and if your bank indicates the funds are not there they won't give you the car either.