First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
With the price hikes today, they've also moved the Reinforced Underbody Shield and Tow Hooks to two separate options in the "Adventure Gear" section, replacing the previous "Off-road upgrade."

Notably, my existing LE configuration had the Off-road upgrade, but now shows only "Tow Hooks" selected (and included with the LE package) - not the new $2000 "Reinforced underbody shield."

Which raises two questions:
  1. Will selecting my reinforced underbody shield delay delivery?
  2. Do the currently scheduled deliveries have the underbody shield?
Rivian R1T R1S Reinforced Underbody Shield is now a separate option 1646174317119
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Most notable to me is that they still haven’t described exactly what is reinforced and how.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Most notable to me is that they still haven’t described exactly what is reinforced and how.
Well, the underbody is reinforced. With a shield.

(yeah I know. Not confidence inspiring that it doesn't appear in the visualizer either.)

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Mine is still showing the Offroad Package in my configuration. I'm expecting that will change when my account gets hit with the price change.

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
Good catch Kyle. I noticed the $2k surcharge as well on my 2018 LE R1T order.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Good catch Kyle. I noticed the $2k surcharge as well on my 2018 LE R1T order.
That was done several months ago, made it a separate option for 2g and lowered the price by 2g.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

That was done several months ago, made it a separate option for 2g and lowered the price by 2g.
no it was the off-road package previously.

Now they've split the underbody and the tow hooks. Many people wanted the tow hooks but didn't want the underbody, so it saves them

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
and was it previously listed as Adventure Gear like it is now? seems to imply you can remove it without a change to delivery window, but who knows after today's news.

ssiminou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Aston Martin Vantage
If you remove the undershield, do you still get the silver piece in the front bumper (that's directly below the hooks)?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

If you remove the undershield, do you still get the silver piece in the front bumper (that's directly below the hooks)?
I would presume so. The configurator has always shown the silver piece regardless of whether you had the off road package selected.

Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
After spending hours on this forum, I decided to take a look at my configuration. I have a reservation for a Launch Edition. I had the off-road package selected. The only reason I selected the off-road package was for the tow hooks. Don't think I will ever need the additional shielding.

After logging into my account this morning. I first noticed the lovely price increase and then I noticed they now have separated the off-road package. "Tow Hooks" and "Reinforced underbody shield."

Has anyone with a Launch Edition removed the Reinforced underbody shield from there build? I would like to remove it, but I don't want to lose my Launch Edition status.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
no it was the off-road package previously.

Now they've split the underbody and the tow hooks. Many people wanted the tow hooks but didn't want the underbody, so it saves them
Granted the split the tow hooks as a separate option. But the point being made above your response is that Reinforced Underbody shield option grants the same features the Off-road package did, for the exact same price too. That they changed the name to reflect splitting off the tow hooks as a separate option was the outcome, but make no mistake. Off-Road Package <-> Reinforced Underbody Shield.

I do agree regarding having the tow hooks as a separate option is a great move on their behalf.

mmdavis174

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
After spending hours on this forum, I decided to take a look at my configuration. I have a reservation for a Launch Edition. I had the off-road package selected. The only reason I selected the off-road package was for the tow hooks. Don't think I will ever need the additional shielding.

After logging into my account this morning. I first noticed the lovely price increase and then I noticed they now have separated the off-road package. "Tow Hooks" and "Reinforced underbody shield."

Has anyone with a Launch Edition removed the Reinforced underbody shield from there build? I would like to remove it, but I don't want to lose my Launch Edition status.
I removed it without an issue, I have a launch edition.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I removed it without an issue, I have a launch edition.
Matt,

Thank you for the update. I will remove it as well. It was a feature I would never use. Next question is do I really need a $900 spare or just call AAA. ;)

mmdavis174

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Matt,

Thank you for the update. I will remove it as well. It was a feature I would never use. Next question is do I really need a $900 spare or just call AAA. ;)
A fine question. I personally want the full size spare so much it's what keeps me from wandering to the R1S...
Sponsored