Range Rover Teases Its First Electric SUV, Which Is Made to Wade

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They have solved the electrical problems ages ago, but any forum on the internet responds with that whenever the brand is mentioned. It shows how much long lasting damage you can do to a brand if you let quality slip. I'm happy to own my Rivian, but my Land Rovers were all solid and worry free fwiw.

I would think there is some overlap between Rivian and Range Rover buyers, but not sure how much.
If by ages ago you mean after 2019 then I stand corrected. My one had a lot of issues. It essentially lived at the dealership. I've never had such bad luck with a car as I did the RR. My uncle had one back in the 80s and that was ok for that era. I had loads of friends whose parents owned defenders. I love LR but just had bad luck with my one.
Sponsored

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If by ages ago you mean after 2019 then I stand corrected. My one had a lot of issues. It essentially lived at the dealership. I've never had such bad luck with a car as I did the RR. My uncle had one back in the 80s and that was ok for that era. I had loads of friends whose parents owned defenders. I love LR but just had bad luck with my one.
I’ve been hearing electrical problems comments since my first LR in 2010. FWIW, JD Power has the brand in the middle of the pack for initial quality. I guess for a luxury brand it should be higher, but it’s not a disaster. I will be tempted by the Range Rover if it’s a true EV, not an ICE adaptation.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Signed up for the waiting list just in case its some kind of special deal. But already a bad omen on their form I clicked I own a EV and brand Rivian was not listed! Stupid Range already outdated! I guess all the geriatrics will be lined up for this one.
Attempted to do the same... website could not:
1 - Find my address in address lookup
2 - Accept my (totally normal) phone number as valid
3 - Find an affiliated dealer in my vicinity (yet I can drive to it in 10 min.)
... so I guess I'll have to pass...

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
The bashing of Land Rover reliability on this forum is humorous. Both of my Rivian’s have spent more time in the shop than my last three Land Rovers combined (2 Defenders and a Discovery).

While I too am skeptical of LR relative to Honda/Toyota reliability, I don’t think they are appreciably worse than Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The bashing of Land Rover reliability on this forum is humorous. Both of my Rivian’s have spent more time in the shop than my last three Land Rovers combined (2 Defenders and a Discovery).

While I too am skeptical of LR relative to Honda/Toyota reliability, I don’t think they are appreciably worse than Rivian.
I’m glad you didn’t have problems with yours, but it’s not imagined - that reputation for being unreliable is a real thing. For a long time they were ranked dead last for reliability across all models they sold.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshma...merica-according-to-jd-power/?sh=5780b0dd63b8

Sponsored

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The bashing of Land Rover reliability on this forum is humorous.
Its not just this forum, anywhere online doesnt sign too high of praise for LR. "The Land Rover Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 31st out of 32 for all car brands. This rating is based on an average across 345 unique models."

LR, RR, all I ever think back to is Doug Demuro's Carmax RR.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Reactions: Rad

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

They have solved the electrical problems ages ago, but any forum on the internet responds with that whenever the brand is mentioned. It shows how much long lasting damage you can do to a brand if you let quality slip. I'm happy to own my Rivian, but my Land Rovers were all solid and worry free fwiw.

I would think there is some overlap between Rivian and Range Rover buyers, but not sure how much.
It depends on the price. My guess is the Range Rover EV is going to start at Cadillac IQ prices - $150K+ so probably not much to cross shop between a $90K vehicle and a $150K vehicle. Totally different price categories.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
im not implying it’s imagined. But holding Rivian as a more reliable brand comes across as uninformed.
I don’t recall seeing anyone make that claim? Rivian would be near the bottom of those rankings if they were included on the list. They also have only been mass manufacturing vehicles for 3-4 years and Land Rover has been around for 75 years.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count would rather wait for the EV Grenadier in 2026.

Sponsored

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan

same experience as you. Two RR over seven years with no issues at all.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

How long ago??

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The last two generations of the Range Rover have not had significant electrical problems according to surveys like JD Power. The Discovery has been rock solid since the 4th version.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

Technically, yes. But iPace was the first. It could even do mild/moderate off-road. It wasn't a compelling car for the price, but I also didn't hear any horror stories.
The irony is that the iPace depreciated so much that now it is an intriguing used purchase if one can deal with the back-of-mind reliability issues and parking it outside only lol. The Audi ETron has also depreciated badly but is also another used car consideration at this point.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

It depends on the price. My guess is the Range Rover EV is going to start at Cadillac IQ prices - $150K+ so probably not much to cross shop between a $90K vehicle and a $150K vehicle. Totally different price categories.
we shall see what an extra 50k or so gets you when comparing the R1S with a top tri RR EV.
Sponsored