First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian has a new story about road tripping to celebrate yet another RAN station in California. Meanwhile, there is exactly 1 DCFC along I-20 between Tuscaloosa and Dallas (nearly 600 miles) and it's at a BMW dealership with 2 plugs.

But yes, by all means please keep saturating California with fast chargers.
Not much love in general for fast charging in Texas
Texas could help solve this if the State wanted to.
Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Are they purposely delaying permits or anything like that?

Think its probably more not creating any financial incentive for anyone to put them up compared to other states.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Can we add Capitol Heights SC? They delivered my R1S and are the ones to do my Service work.
Do you have an address for it? It's not on Rivian.com's map and I don't see an address in the thread about it.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Think its probably more not creating any financial incentive for anyone to put them up compared to other states.
Such backwards thinking. Goes along with cutting mental health by 211 million

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Texas could help solve this if the State wanted to.
I agree that many states could help themselves by being more friendly to Rivian and others as it pertains to charging infrastructure. My point is more to highlight how tone-deaf it is to celebrate the idea of family road trips that are only possible for a subset of customers, while other customers are yet to even see a RAN station, let alone have the ability to use them on an idyllic family road trip.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree that many states could help themselves by being more friendly to Rivian and others as it pertains to charging infrastructure. My point is more to highlight how tone-deaf it is to celebrate the idea of family road trips that are only possible for a subset of customers, while other customers are yet to even see a RAN station, let alone have the ability to use them on an idyllic family road trip.
Well maybe they are trying to sell to their West coast customers not those in Texas with this advertising, I mean that is where they have SC, charging and delivery infrastructure well laid out. I know it isn’t going to make you feel better but success on the west coast means more money to roll out infrastructure in Texas and elsewhere. Walk before you run as they say.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Well maybe they are trying to sell to their West coast customers not those in Texas with this advertising, I mean that is where they have SC, charging and delivery infrastructure well laid out. I know it isn’t going to make you feel better but success on the west coast means more money to roll out infrastructure in Texas and elsewhere. Walk before you run as they say.
Texas and Florida are #2 and 3 in population and Florida in particular is one of (if not the top) most popular vacation destinations in the country, especially for road trips. Those two states currently combine for 0 RAN stations with a whopping 0 in between them. It is about 1200 miles from Jacksonville to Houston and the 1 RAN station between them (sort of) is in Augusta, which would be a several hundred mile detour. By the time any RAN stations make it over here they won't be free or exclusive, so it won't even help them from a marketing perspective here.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I thought the Broomfield, CO location was about to come online. Last week the chargers were uncovered and turned on, just offline. Today they are once again covered up.

However, I noticed that the pull through charger has been

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps IMG_9761

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps IMG_9762

For me, the only downside is that I’ll rarely ever use these chargers. They’re just too close to my home. I’mm happy to see them, but I wish they had built them somewhere along the I70 corridor. They would be much more useful in Idaho Springs.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Texas and Florida are #2 and 3 in population and Florida in particular is one of (if not the top) most popular vacation destinations in the country, especially for road trips. Those two states currently combine for 0 RAN stations with a whopping 0 in between them. It is about 1200 miles from Jacksonville to Houston and the 1 RAN station between them (sort of) is in Augusta, which would be a several hundred mile detour. By the time any RAN stations make it over here they won't be free or exclusive, so it won't even help them from a marketing perspective here.
Not going to argue about population just saying they still need to sell vehicles while they build out the infrastructure. They shouldn’t show off their successes as they build out?

I just disagree that it’s tone deaf. Someone in Texas or Florida can see it and say that looks great and ask themselves is that what Rivian is bringing here? Makes a lot of sense to me if you’re targeting your 2024 audience/market.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
What's stopping you of family roadtrips? I and many others have done many roadtrips before all these RAN chargers came online

Reactions: VSG

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

What's stopping you of family roadtrips? I and many others have done many roadtrips before all these RAN chargers came online
As I said when I made my initial point, it is not currently possible to drive from Atlanta to Dallas in an EV by the most direct route (I-20) as there is only 1 DCFC in a 600 mile stretch. I don't think that's an issue in California or the PNW, nor has it been for several years.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As I said when I made my initial point, it is not currently possible to drive from Atlanta to Dallas in an EV by the most direct route (I-20) as there is only 1 DCFC in a 600 mile stretch. I don't think that's an issue in California or the PNW, nor has it been for several years.
Find a couple business somewhere mid-route and get them to install a FreeWire type system, which has the lowest continuing cost overhead because the demand charges are minimized.