Sponsored

Radio Question?

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I'd be willing to bet no. I haven't seen it in an EV or even a PHEV that I can recall for that exactly reason.
I-Pace has AM radio. And it seems that Nissan Leaf as well
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My 2016 Model S has am/fm/hd fm.
I was referring to FM when I said "it". My bad. They pulled AM out in 2018 though because of the interference as I understand. Thinking a out it maayyyybe the Mach e has AM radio? But I think that'd be the only EV on the market shipping with it. I could obviously be missing one, but I don't think so.

Edit: just saw the post above. Interesting. I know Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Tesla, BMW pulled it. Forgot the leaf even exists anymore, but that doesn't surprise me - it's also air copled. ?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I was referring to FM when I said "it". My bad. They pulled AM out in 2018 though because of the interference as I understand. Thinking a out it maayyyybe the Mach e has AM radio? But I think that'd be the only EV on the market shipping with it. I could obviously be missing one, but I don't think so.

Edit: just saw the post above. Interesting. I know Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Tesla, BMW pulled it. Forgot the leaf even exists anymore, but that doesn't surprise me - it's also air copled. ?
My Chevy Bolt and my Mach E both have AM/FM and SXM radio. Not sure how crazy rumors like this get started.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My Chevy Bolt and my Mach E both have AM/FM and SXM radio. Not sure how crazy rumors like this get started.
Because literally all of the manufacturers I cited don't have AM radio and multiple have acknowledged that AM in particular is subject to interference from the motors. Sat radio and FM are not. I noted that I thought the Mach e had it.

Here's an example article discussi it, there's on from WSJ during the same time period, but they're paywalled.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/yp3vmj/why-electric-cars-are-ditching-am-radio

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
My 2016 Model S has am/fm/hd fm.
Based on my experience with an EV with Tesla motors (Rav4EV), the AM radio is anywhere from "terrible quality" to "useless for anything other that monitoring electric motor speed and regen"

Newer Teslas (in my experience starting sometime in 2017 with Model X) don't even have AM radio anymore.

Definitely still have FM/HD though!

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
We're talking about AM, which - because of physics - has a terrible time coexisting with electric motors.

Most EV manufacturers have, in fact, stopped shipping AM radios. It's fact, not crazy rumor.

FM and Satellite - which are radically different from both AM and from each other - work fine.

Rivian has FM.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Based on my experience with an EV with Tesla motors (Rav4EV), the AM radio is anywhere from "terrible quality" to "useless for anything other that monitoring electric motor speed and regen"

Newer Teslas (in my experience starting sometime in 2017 with Model X) don't even have AM radio anymore.

Definitely still have FM/HD though!
That's interesting, I use AM to listen to talk shows and news/traffic and it works fine for that.

I use HDFM when I am in town but FM range is not very good so when traveling AM works better (for AM) and seems to be pretty well isolated from any electrical interference from the car.

Take that for what its worth. It has been established in other threads that I seem to have a higher tolerance level for things that are not perfect. I am also getting old so the ears that were never all that great seem to degrade more each year.

Positive thing for me is that my high tolerance level dealing with things out of my control works wonders to keep any stress to a very workable low level... ;)
Sponsored