Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Really hoping for a $65-70k range for a trimotor 🤞. After credit and trade that could be doable for me
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Well, Alex is one of the more prominent YouTube auto reviewers. He delivers his content in a down-to-earth and approachable manner to his audience, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd give him access that we regular peons wouldn't get.
Agree. Also, Alex's content is way better then Kyle's.

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

I was told by one of the folks in the NYC space that they very much expected the parking sensors to be on the lower bumper area as on the R1S. They were just left off to keep the pre-production model as clean as possible. But who knows.

They also told me that the door handles would present as on the R1S. I assumed it would have manual handles as a cost saving measure. I would take everything with a grain of salt at this point.
Yes, current R1's have cameras, 5 radar and ultrasonic sensors. Hopefully they add at least rear ones to the production version. Tesla's decision to remove everything but cameras has created some unnecessary clunkiness.

Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I just kinda laughed at that. I find $90k hard to imagine for this. But I’m happy to be wrong.

I was thinking of a $30k to $35k spread for R2 — and even that seems on the high side for a “mainstream” vehicle.

The Ioniq 5 is $41k to $67.6k for the Ioniq 5N performance model.

Model Y is $44k to $53k for the Performance

It may be wishful thinking, but I was hoping to get a dual motor long-range minimally optioned for $55k to $60k.

You don’t have a “Model 3 moment” by having significant price overlap with your flagship.
$30-$35K is equally laughable as $90K. Hah.

$65K-$70K is going to be the ASP for at least the first year or two.

Reactions: Rad

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
$30-$35K is equally laughable as $90K. Hah.

$65K-$70K is going to be the ASP for at least the first year or two.
I think by "$30K to $35K spread," the poster was saying they expected that much DIFFERENCE between the base model and the "loaded" model of R2. That might make the top end $75K or so???

Even though most of the other figures showed a low end and a top end of absolute price, it seems to make most sense to assume "spread" means "spread" when R2 was discussed.

I hope this helps!

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think by "$30K to $35K spread," the poster was saying they expected that much DIFFERENCE between the base model and the "loaded" model of R2. That might make the top end $75K or so???

Even though most of the other figures showed a low end and a top end of absolute price, it seems to make most sense to assume "spread" means "spread" when R2 was discussed.

I hope this helps!
Ahhh, got it. After rereading, that makes sense.
That’s my bad. Thank you for the clarification.

Sorry, macbookdemo.

OP
OP
macb00kemdanno

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+. 2023 Tesla Model Y LR

I hope this helps!
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. Which is why I also listed the price ranges (base to loaded) for the Model Y and Ioniq 5 in comparison.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Well, I would pay $90k for a 500 mile range R2 version. I know, that isn't planned as far as we know. But regardless, it would be worth it to me.
For my next vehicle (which will be awhile!) I am much less interested in greater range and far more about charging speed. Give me a vehicle that can add 70 kwh in 15 minutes! With DCFC quickly becoming more ubiquitous (yay Tesla Supercharger team!) as long as a vehicle hits the basic minimum 300 miles, I want charging speed. Hopefully the 4695 delivers.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Hasn't RJ consistently said the price target for R2 was $45k-65k? IMO, it would be very strange if the loaded version is more than 150% the cost of the base, so I don't think it'll be possible to spec an R2 over $65k unless you're including multiple expensive accessories (e.g. bike rack, tent, etc.)

OP
OP
macb00kemdanno

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+. 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
For my next vehicle (which will be awhile!) I am much less interested in greater range and far more about charging speed. Give me a vehicle that can add 70 kwh in 15 minutes! With DCFC quickly becoming more ubiquitous (yay Tesla Supercharger team!) as long as a vehicle hits the basic minimum 300 miles, I want charging speed. Hopefully the 4695 delivers.
My thoughts exactly! Instead of putting in heavier and expensive batteries, make them charge faster.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Absolutely agree with this. Most gas cars only get 300ish miles of range also, but the ubiquity of gas stations and relative quickness with with you can refill them makes that mostly irrelevant. Adding 70-80 Kwh in 5 minutes is probably far off if it's even feasible, but if you can get charge times closer to 15 than 30 that goes a long way.

Charger availability is increasing, so that's less of an issue now than it was when I got my R1, and it will be even less so when the R2 comes along. Improving charge times would make it even better.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Lastly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do something different with the exterior door handles before production. I noticed RJ having to use two hands at one point to open the door during the launch event. Every time someone opened the doors yesterday, they used two hands, too. It’s just not practical to expect people to do that all the time.
The door handles on the pre-production R1 "show cars" were the same. They didn't self-present like they do on the production models. No reason to think they won't self-present on the R2.
Sponsored