Sponsored

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I think you're probably right, but I'll wager a beer just to have one with you, @electruck . Actually got to meet @tx_rivian & have a couple yesterday!
Yes, and sorry we had to bail to make it to the wedding! Thank you for the pins. It was such a nice gesture!

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Edit - I should state, I'm assuming that's where it came from, not sure if there are more stills of that truck floating around.
Why is the Video Labeled, 710 HP? Shouldn't it read, 835 HP per Rivian's web site?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
It is 750hp/829lb-ft tq
This is direct from Rivian's web site under the R1T. Unless there is some limiting factor, won't you just add power output from front & rear motors? Thus, 835 hp with 908 lbs of torque.

"Rivian quad-motor drive is comprised of two dual-motor drive units — one for the front axle, another for the rear. Much of the structure is shared between the motor and gearbox, enabling our high power density. Powering the front axle is a compact 415 horsepower unit with 413 ft lbs. of torque. In the rear, a higher torque derivative delivers 420 horsepower and 495 ft lbs. of torque. Together, they provide exceptional efficiency and vehicle performance in both on-road and off-road conditions."

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
This is direct from Rivian's web site under the R1T. Unless there is some limiting factor, won't you just add power output from front & rear motors? Thus, 835 hp with 908 lbs of torque.

"Rivian quad-motor drive is comprised of two dual-motor drive units — one for the front axle, another for the rear. Much of the structure is shared between the motor and gearbox, enabling our high power density. Powering the front axle is a compact 415 horsepower unit with 413 ft lbs. of torque. In the rear, a higher torque derivative delivers 420 horsepower and 495 ft lbs. of torque. Together, they provide exceptional efficiency and vehicle performance in both on-road and off-road conditions."
Your reasoning is sound, but they have never stated that both pairs of motors will deliver full power at the same time...

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Your reasoning is sound, but they have never stated that both pairs of motors will deliver full power at the same time...
That very well could be the case.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

That may not be factoring in drivetrain loss. So factoring in drivetrain losses around 10% so ~ 750 hp.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Gotta chuckle when haggling about whether a truck has 750hp or maybe over 800hp.

The R1T is going to be such a blast!

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

And please do not take what I say as gospel. That is just what they have said from the get-go, until the latest website update when they changed it to, "Powering the front axle is a compact 415 horsepower unit with 413 ft lbs. of torque. In the rear, a higher torque derivative delivers 420 horsepower and 495 ft lbs. of torque." I would love for Rivian to come back out and give us those details we are so desperately needing.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The previous specs cited were that each motor produced 197 hp, and total maximum hp was 754. Not sure if the max is less than the sum due to electrical or mechanical reasons.

Nonetheless, if the same ratio applies, the updated motors/hp would result in 799 instead of 754.

Regardless, these will be some BADASS vehicles.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Another clarification. IIRC, the 180kW was 750 hp & the 135 was 754.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The previous specs cited were that each motor produced 197 hp, and total maximum hp was 754. Not sure if the max is less than the sum due to electrical or mechanical reasons.

Nonetheless, if the same ratio applies, the updated motors/hp would result in 799 instead of 754.

Regardless, these will be some BADASS vehicles.
It's funny, when the Rivian was initially announced, that was a lot of power. It was the most power of any electric vehicle with intent of production. I also REALLY liked the quad motor idea, for infinite torque vectoring. Having seen videos of it in action, I am now second guessing the primary purpose I thought torque vectoring was cool- when it lifts a tire, you lose 200hp while it spins that tire up in the air. With a single 600hp motor and a differential, you could add a selectable locker for crawling and lock together side to side power, which is probably preferable when slowly crawling up a trail in a low traction situation.

Now.... the lucid makes 600+hp from a single, TINY drive unit. 1080hp and high 9 second quarter mile times in testing for their sedan. I went and saw their powertrain in person, it is exceptionally tiny and powerful.

I guess my point is, I hope the Vivian motors have efficiency and heat management under control, so they can make it up a steep grade in the middle of summer towing a load. The video of the white r1t from a few months back was promising. Looking forward to them releasing some real world highway consumption tests.