Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Chiropractor
Hi everyone!

I've put 20,000 miles on my R1T and I LOVE this thing. But one of the things that has continued to underwhelm my ears is the absolute deficit of low end bass response out of the Meridian System. I think it's an absolute joke they put a 6x9 speaker in this truck and call it a woofer.

As such I've begun to explore what options I may have to upgrade the subwoofer. I hope to create a rough sketch of the measurements and get an idea of what kind of sealed box and its volume may fit into the stock space with some modification.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Subwoofer Area Photos and Measurements IMG_0363

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Subwoofer Area Photos and Measurements IMG_0380

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Subwoofer Area Photos and Measurements IMG_0379

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Subwoofer Area Photos and Measurements IMG_0378

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Subwoofer Area Photos and Measurements IMG_0377
Sponsored

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
maybe your eardrums are shut/damaged?

the base sounds fine to me and i actually lower it below the mid level on my Meridian system to remove that frequency overwhelming the others.

Last edited:

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Our T has the Meridian, our S has the elevation unit. Definitely more volume from S, but can't decide if I like the sound yet. Turned on enhanced surround, almost annoying sound compared to Meridian so don't use it. Ran a set of Focal separate speakers in a previous vehicle with dual 10" JL subs. The clarity was incredible, could only imaging with professional tuning. I guess there has to be a limit to what an OEM will do, but most want solid audio with the music options we have access to. Keep us posted if you would

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Subscribed and thank you! What incremental power are you thinking about for the sub? Line out converter or other voodoo?

Hate seeing those maddening red micro clips but fortunately there seem to be a lot fewer than those used on the bed caps/tonneau.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
It's definitely lacking. I think what bothers me more is how much you have to crank this stereo. I almost never listen below 15, and frequently have to go to 20 on songs that were mixed too quiet. Record song too quiet? Straight to jail. Too loud? Also jail.

4mk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thank you, let us know what you come up with. I have an RIS and I like to the whole experience of feeling the music too. I listen to everything from classical to funk.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Thank you, let us know what you come up with. I have an RIS and I like to the whole experience of feeling the music too. I listen to everything from classical to funk.
There is a thread specific to the R1S subwoofer upgrade/replacement that may be more useful to you.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Curious to see what the original meridian enclosure looks like when removed, and the 6x9 speaker enclosed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chirocam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Chiropractor
maybe your eardrums are shut?

the base sounds fine to me and i actually lower it below the mid level on my Meridian system to remove that frequency overwhelming the others.
I could say the same about your ears… but I won’t.

I bet our trucks are different colors too and you’d be puzzled by my choice, lol.

sound is subjective, and many like me believe the low end response is poor.
Curious to see what the original meridian enclosure looks like when removed, and the 6x9 speaker enclosed.
Oddly enough its an enclosed box made of roughly ⅛" thick plastic that is extremely custom fit to that space. The 6x9 fires outward into the grill found on the base of the R rear passenger seat. I'll take a pic of it the next time I tear it down.

I think the existing box (as a 3d template) will be how I create a fiberglass shell for the space in which I can mount a 10" or 12" sub, depending on the resultant volume and mounting diameter. I'm thinking only a 10 will fit in the space without sacrificing under-seat storage.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Planning to replace just the sub or going to add an amp?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

There is a post floating around somewhere where a sub shop built a custom enclosure that used the entire under rear seat space and used 2 10"s if I recall. Really nice set up. I will see if i can find it.