Sponsored

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
There have been a few videos talking about PPF and the *lack* of need to do paint correction unless there's something particularly bad. I think one of them was a Rivian Stories video with a detailer who said there's essentially no difference between PPF with or without paint correction. So you'd basically be wasting money to do rigorous paint correction if you were going to do fully PPF anyway.
This is first of all.. extremely silly..

Second of all, paint correction on a brand new vehicle is limited to the paint imperfections found. The

Finally.. most shops charge $0 for paint correction. It's usually purchased within any package for ceramic coating and/or PPF.

My Raptor 37 needed very limited paint correction but I have pics before and after of all the spots in the high light to where small amounts of correction was necessary... on my Tesla it was absolutely disgusting how much correction was needed. The problem with PPF without correction is that 1 time you catch your vehicle in the light and see a swirl and now you're F'd because you can't fix it with the PPF on.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I’d pay 4500 for this wrap

Rivian R1T R1S R1T / R1S Factory XPEL PPF Option to be offered at $4500 starting late 2022 7268066D-6A6E-43E3-93BC-75C20CF4B0F9

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Also, I think Rivian missed the boat on rooftop tents. They should have offered a factory option for a hard shell RTT instead of the Yakima soft top that’s currently offered.
yakima is making their crossbars, it makes sense to go with Yakima for everything that attaches to them.

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
OK, so looks like this has been debunked and Rivian is not offering it. On the subject of PPF, I have had it (Xpel Stealth) applied to my late Model 3 and I thought it was well worth the money just to go matte. Im not sure I would pay as much as I did if I wasnt changing the look of the car though. Although there is a new clear PPF Xpel product that has hydrophobic properties built in which sounds like it would save a ton of time on cleanings... that IMO may be worth the money as I am cleaning my car all the damn time with rain and snow around these parts (Denver). The local installer I used says they are not using the new hydrophobic Xpel film, which I think is just an excuse to charge more for ceramic coating applied o the film after it is installed. Bit of a turn off, but they seem to be one of the only options in town and the job they did on my M3 was pretty good.

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
OK, so looks like this has been debunked and Rivian is not offering it. On the subject of PPF, I have had it (Xpel Stealth) applied to my late Model 3 and I thought it was well worth the money just to go matte. Im not sure I would pay as much as I did if I wasnt changing the look of the car though. Although there is a new clear PPF Xpel product that has hydrophobic properties built in which sounds like it would save a ton of time on cleanings... that IMO may be worth the money as I am cleaning my car all the damn time with rain and snow around these parts (Denver). The local installer I used says they are not using the new hydrophobic Xpel film, which I think is just an excuse to charge more for ceramic coating applied o the film after it is installed. Bit of a turn off, but they seem to be one of the only options in town and the job they did on my M3 was pretty good.
My buddy just had his 2022 Tesla Model X wrapped w/ this new XPEL PPF w/ the Hydrophobic property built in. His car was the first vehicle in the shop to get it installed. He told me the installer wanted to do a follow up w/ him ever few months to see how well it's held up. It's only been a couple of months so no update yet.

Sponsored

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
This is great news. Hopefully there is a stealth/matte option. I will 100% be adding the option when it becomes available.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is great news. Hopefully there is a stealth/matte option. I will 100% be adding the option when it becomes available.
There is. " Customers will be able to choose between two PPF option packages: Front Gloss Paint Guard or Full Body Satin Paint Guard. "

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I like how one CS agent adamantly said this wasn’t happening and not everything on the forums is true and BOOM…..CS was wrong again and the forums were correct. 🤦🏻‍♂️

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I like how one CS agent adamantly said this wasn’t happening and not everything on the forums is true and BOOM…..CS was wrong again and the forums were correct. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Too SooN, lots of people being layed off

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Reading the article it seems like XPEL will be managing this directly which explains the significantly below market costs (in some areas) as Rivian and XPEL would both need to profit off this arrangement. Good option overall for those able to take advantage of it. Curious about the exception cases that will pop up. If one needs some service fix which damages the PPF, does it then get replaced at the customers local service center? I can't imagine it heads back to Normal.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

XPEL is going to build a facility near Normal. I'm curious to know if they'll do paint correction first, or just slap this stuff on. I'll probably still go local so I can add a ceramic protection on top of it.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
XPEL is going to build a facility near Normal. I'm curious to know if they'll do paint correction first, or just slap this stuff on. I'll probably still go local so I can add a ceramic protection on top of it.

As someone who's had PPF applied before this is why I'd probably still go local. XPEL in charge of applying their own film makes sense. But neither XPEL or Rivian have an ongoing expertise in paint correction (or ceramic as you noted). Is this contract so lucrative that XPEL will be able to hire folks to handle paint correction prior their application? I'm thinking they'll just roll these things from the final factory check right into this new XPEL facility and slap on the PPF. Which is fine for those who aren't going to inspect every inch of the vehicle I guess.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
As someone who's had PPF applied before this is why I'd probably still go local. XPEL in charge of applying their own film makes sense. But neither XPEL or Rivian have an ongoing expertise in paint correction (or ceramic as you noted). Is this contract so lucrative that XPEL will be able to hire folks to handle paint correction prior their application? I'm thinking they'll just roll these things from the final factory check right into this new XPEL facility and slap on the PPF. Which is fine for those who aren't going to inspect every inch of the vehicle I guess.
Hopefully XPEL will add panel adjustment and bolt tightening to their service.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot