First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I came across this in this video from TFL where it was mentioned Rivian would be offering PPF from factory for $4500. $1500 for the front of the truck or SUV. I attached a link. The time stamp is 1:50. If that’s the case I would add that I wonder if it would fall under standard warranty if it peeled up.

Late 2022 timing posted by @MountainBikeDude :

Rivian R1T R1S R1T / R1S Factory XPEL PPF Option to be offered at $4500 starting late 2022 screenshot-2022-07-07-at-13-11-30-home-rivian-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
Interesting to learn this may be a factory option. Given how the PPF is applied to the gear tunnel door, I would prefer a custom PPF that wraps around the edges.

OP
OP

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Interesting to learn this may be a factory option. Given how the PPF is applied to the gear tunnel door, I would prefer a custom PPF that wraps around the edges.
Agreed would be nice for it to wrap around im but I’m not surprised as they heavily wrapped their test miles in some pretty cool options. It would be worth considering as other places can charge over 8k for it. It’d be compelling if was also covered under factory warranty. I wouldn’t chose it if delayed the truck though

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I probably would go with factory PPF for convenience if it was offered.
But as we all know paint from the factory is far from perfect, and and aftermarket PPF install will usually do full paint correction before covering in PPF, so that might still be preferred.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm pretty surprised that they'd be adding options now when they're trying to limit options and streamline their production.
They’re probably contracting it out.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Another interesting tidbit from the video. Rivian recommends airing down to 28 psi, first I heard of that.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Considering how poorly the PPF is installed on the gear tunnel doors from the factory, I probably wouldn't want a factory wrap on the whole truck.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

So, I just spoke with CS at Rivian, and at the start of the chat, she didn't know anything about it, but after a brief hold, she found information and confirmed that Rivian will be offering at the end of 2022 - see below:

We will offer paint protection film options for customers ordering their R1T and R1S models in late 2022.

I don't have info on how to add it to your order however, I will make a note in your account that you are interested

I did ask if Rivian will be putting something official together to send out to everyone, and was told they are working on it. Personally, I think its a great idea and will hopefully speed things up once you get the vehicle and not have to give up to have PPF installed after delivery.

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'd be very suspicious about the quality of PPF installation done by Rivian/factory.

It is one of the few things where quality/reputation of work and skill play a big role. I've experienced good and bad PPF applications. Both can cost the same thing.

And funny thing, I got the dealer to do my Porsche GT3. It was the absolute worst. Had them redo it and it wasn't any better.

I went to a separate person to do my X5M for cheaper and it was significantly better.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I love the convenience factor of having RIVIAN do this (likely contracted out) but will be very curious to see the quality so hopefully we will have some brave souls on he forum who will get the PPF and then report back/upload photos.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
That is the EXACT thought i had when i read the OP post... The PPF on the gear tunnel is applied kind of poorly, not really following the edges well, not wrapped. I love the idea of getting top quality PPF from the factory, but it has to be as good or better than the dozens of shops that do it locally.