R1T "preparing battery for fast charging"

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
It's the cooling fans kicking into high gear to get the batteries to optimal temperature for fast charging.
Thanks. I've had my truck for 2 days and that was the first time I felt the vibrations and wasn't sure if that was normal.
Sponsored

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This message came up today while I was a full hour away from my DC fast charger destination. That seems excessive.
On my recent road trip from MI to CO, it would usually start to precondition about an hour before hitting every charger. Considering we were running in temps in the mid-90’s, this makes sense as it probably take a fair amount of time to cool down the batteries. Not only is the cooling having to deal with ambient temps, you’re also generating heat as you’re using the batteries.

I have no way of knowing whether it is excessive, just right, or the software engineers need to tweak the algorithm. At this point, I let the truck do what it wants to unless it seems significantly detrimental..

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
On my recent road trip from MI to CO, it would usually start to precondition about an hour before hitting every charger. Considering we were running in temps in the mid-90’s, this makes sense as it probably take a fair amount of time to cool down the batteries. Not only is the cooling having to deal with ambient temps, you’re also generating heat as you’re using the batteries.

I have no way of knowing whether it is excessive, just right, or the software engineers need to tweak the algorithm. At this point, I let the truck do what it wants to unless it seems significantly detrimental..
If you're bored sometime I'm curious how it performs with verse without conditioning

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you're bored sometime I'm curious how it performs with verse without conditioning
Way too many variables to try and isolate how preconditioning would impact charging. Battery temp, state of charger, outside temp, charger conditions, etc. would all come into play. This is one of those where I just trust the vehicle and the software/battery engineers.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Is there a way to force preconditioning for places, like Canada, where Rivian doesn’t recognize where the fast chargers are?

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Is there a way to force preconditioning for places, like Canada, where Rivian doesn’t recognize where the fast chargers are?
I have always just used the on-board nav and set the DCFC as a destination, I don't think we have any awareness for an alternative method to precondition.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have always just used the on-board nav and set the DCFC as a destination, I don't think we have any awareness for an alternative method to precondition.
Me too
 the challenge is Rivian nav doesn’t recognize many of the fast chargers in Canada. Is it possible to manually map out a DCFC the map doesn’t know about?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

No way currently to manually set it, but you can just set the navigation to the nearest DCFC and then ignore the directions.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The Rivian 1,750 pound battery pack is a 135 KWh monster.

It does an excellent job with keeping the center of gravity nice and low. A flipped R1T would be a rare event.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T "preparing battery for fast charging" 329F5672-9B58-4888-8B37-64490DA83281

Sponsored

scr5008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Operations
Bumping this old thread. I’ve had similar experience while on a road trip approaching a DCFC. Preconditioned for 70-80 miles before arrival.

One strange issue was that after it preconditioned, then charged, my air conditioning wouldn’t activate activate.

This was in about 80 degree f ambient, and 80mph on I-10. Charged in direct sunlight at an EA DCFC 350kw rated charger. Never reached the~200 kw speeds either, fans on the truck and charger were rippin.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I have noticed this very early preconditioning as well now that I have stared taking road trips. Some times it kicks in 90 minutes before arrival at my charging location. Sure I am not an expert and dont know the variables that go into this but my comp is a Tesla Model 3 which usually starts preconditioning around 20 minutes before arrival at fast charger. It is true the R1T has bigger batteries but I wonder if this is by design.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
I'm lucky to live close to one of the 3 RAN sites up and running (Bishop, CA) and decided I'd go give it a try after a number of errands just to see how the experience was.

I thought it was kind of funny that when I used the in-app navigation to locate a charging station, the RAN site didn't even show up as a result. I tried a bit later and it was 2nd in the list after an Electrify America station which I think was actually a tiny bit further away. I knew where the RAN was, but decided to punch it into the navigation system anyway.

What surprised me was then I got a status show up in the nav while on the journey to the charger that said something like "preparing battery for fast charging". The RAN was about 5 minutes away, so I have no idea what the truck might be doing to prepare for fast charging or how long it might take or if 5 minutes was enough time.

The charge went flawlessly. Topped out at about 215kW indicated on the RAN charging station & slowed as we got to about ~80% before I stopped the charge.

Still curious what this preparation might be or if it's important to tell the car you're headed to a fast charger in advance. I didn't see any reference to this need/feature in the manual.

Pic of Bishop, CA RAN up and running and also to let you know we're apparently pretty excited about the dream of fast electric charging in the beautiful Eastern Sierra Nevada of California.

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 9.27.36 PM.png
Someone doing the happy dance 💃

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
I have noticed this very early preconditioning as well now that I have stared taking road trips. Some times it kicks in 90 minutes before arrival at my charging location. Sure I am not an expert and dont know the variables that go into this but my comp is a Tesla Model 3 which usually starts preconditioning around 20 minutes before arrival at fast charger. It is true the R1T has bigger batteries but I wonder if this is by design.
Same here , the battery starts preconditioning very early, I can hear and feel it especially on long trips/ driving, also seems pretty loud as I get closer to the charging station. I guess this is normal (?)
Sponsored