First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
I just pulled the trigger and committed to an R1T so I am in the middle of the purchase process. I have, what is perhaps a strange question about a specific measurement. I am hoping someone with an R1T can tell me the length from the front bumper to the back of the rear tires. I am planning to park the truck in my garage but have a strange feature in my garage. The garage is 22 feet deep but the last 4 feet is a step up so there is a concrete landing. Assuming I back into the garage until the rear tires hit the curb, will it be enough to close the door. I may have to figure out a solution, like a ramp or something if it won't clear and I am hoping to get a head start on this before I pick up the truck. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Sponsored

lgyee4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Carrera, WR250, RZ500, RZ350
Clubs

Roughly 15' 8" front bumper to back of my 21" rear tire, and about 14'4" to the contact point of the rear tire

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I just pulled the trigger and committed to an R1T so I am in the middle of the purchase process. I have, what is perhaps a strange question about a specific measurement. I am hoping someone with an R1T can tell me the length from the front bumper to the back of the rear tires. I am planning to park the truck in my garage but have a strange feature in my garage. The garage is 22 feet deep but the last 4 feet is a step up so there is a concrete landing. Assuming I back into the garage until the rear tires hit the curb, will it be enough to close the door. I may have to figure out a solution, like a ramp or something if it won't clear and I am hoping to get a head start on this before I pick up the truck. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
188" or 15.667 ft. 20's A/T

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Measurement Needed 20240109_101753

OP
OP

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
Thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't thinking about the tire size differences. I will have the 20" A/T and just checked the length I have available. Looks like I may have only 1 inch of clearance for the garage door to close. That is not leaving much margin for error so I think I need to figure out a solution.

rmalzo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f1t
Occupation
Retired
I have the same set up in my home and backing in works fine

Sponsored

OUTAGAS

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Owner of solar energy business
Clubs

I don’t see the problem. You have 18 feet of flat floor. The truck is only 18 feet long.

Reactions: VSG

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Just pull up onto the concrete landing! :D What's an adventure vehicle for if not adventures?!

OP
OP

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
Just pull up onto the concrete landing! :D What's an adventure vehicle for if not adventures?!
Yup, that's what I will have to do. I double checked measurements and I have 187 inches between the garage door and the landing which is 7.5 inches high. My wife is not happy about the idea of having to pull it up onto a 7.5 inch landing every time so I am considering cutting the concrete back.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Yup, that's what I will have to do. I double checked measurements and I have 187 inches between the garage door and the landing which is 7.5 inches high. My wife is not happy about the idea of having to pull it up onto a 7.5 inch landing every time so I am considering cutting the concrete back.
You could get some ramps to make it a lot easier.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

1st off: don’t cancel your order, even if you can’t convince Rivian to honor the charger. You have a Tesla charger installed? Just order a Tesla tap adapter. We came from a MX and MYP, and do not regret leaving Tesla.

2nd: I have a similar “curb” setup in my garage, albeit more garage depth than you have, so I went out to the garage and backed the truck up to the 7.5” curb (mine is only 4” tall, so I had to mock-up 3.5” more height). I have the 20’s btw.

I then measured from curb to garage door, then subtracted distance from garage door to front bumper; what’s left is 186.5”

Certainly close, but if it works out the curb will act as a perfect parking bumper when backing in.

As you’ve mentioned, cutting the concrete back would be an idea, even simply grinding or chipping away the top 90 degree edge at an angle would give you another inch or two of space.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
1st off: don’t cancel your order, even if you can’t convince Rivian to honor the charger. You have a Tesla charger installed? Just order a Tesla tap adapter. We came from a MX and MYP, and do not regret leaving Tesla.

2nd: I have a similar “curb” setup in my garage, albeit more garage depth than you have, so I went out to the garage and backed the truck up to the 7.5” curb (mine is only 4” tall, so I had to mock-up 3.5” more height). I have the 20’s btw.

I then measured from curb to garage door, then subtracted distance from garage door to front bumper; what’s left is 186.5”

Certainly close, but if it works out the curb will act as a perfect parking bumper when backing in.

As you’ve mentioned, cutting the concrete back would be an idea, even simply grinding or chipping away the top 90 degree edge at an angle would give you another inch or two of space.
I've been using a 110v outlet because I moved relatively recently and I have to install a sub-panel and the distance from the main to the garage is downhill from one corner to the opposite side. It couldn't harder given this house. A 110v is slow but works for the Tesla but I think the Rivian is going to need a better solution. I won't be cancelling.

Thanks for taking the time to measure! If your numbers are accurate I should be okay, if not I'll build a ramp to use until I figure it out. Can't wait to get this truck!

Dblackwood72

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad/Limestone/Ocean Coast
Thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't thinking about the tire size differences. I will have the 20" A/T and just checked the length I have available. Looks like I may have only 1 inch of clearance for the garage door to close. That is not leaving much margin for error so I think I need to figure out a solution.
I use the overhead camera view to guide my parking in the garage. Works great.

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
One thing to maybe watch out for is truck kneeling or changing height once your done backing in in case it lowers close to the step.

Probably ok, but just in case.

Proxy

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Occupation
Professional
I've been using a 110v outlet because I moved relatively recently and I have to install a sub-panel and the distance from the main to the garage is downhill from one corner to the opposite side. It couldn't harder given this house. A 110v is slow but works for the Tesla but I think the Rivian is going to need a better solution. I won't be cancelling.

Thanks for taking the time to measure! If your numbers are accurate I should be okay, if not I'll build a ramp to use until I figure it out. Can't wait to get this truck!
One possibility: If you have more than one circuit breaker dedicated to your garage you can get an electrician to switch one circuit to 240v at 20 amps if the correct gauge wire is already there. They would probably have to deactivate an outlet or two but they won’t have to run wires. 3.84 kW charging is what you will end up with.

OP
OP

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, R1T DMP
Occupation
Self employed
One possibility: If you have more than one circuit breaker dedicated to your garage you can get an electrician to switch one circuit to 240v at 20 amps if the correct gauge wire is already there. They would probably have to deactivate an outlet or two but they won’t have to run wires. 3.84 kW charging is what you will end up with.
I have one 15 amp circuit for the garage and it runs the two outlets, lights, and garage doors. If I’m charging and the lights are on I can’t do anything else without tripping it. I’m having an electrician out next week. He’s going to add a sub panel so I can install a charger and run my power tools and everything I need.
Sponsored