First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I am hoping for cab-height crossbars for the bed as well - have seen nothing so far that would indicate they are coming, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for it anyway!
Multiple engineers have told me they are coming... let the waiting continue
Sponsored

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
There is no way in hell that they won't have cab height cross bars from the truck rails. You can't have an "adventure vehicle" that can't carry kayaks/outriggers. It would be like saying you couldn't take it out in the rain or on dirt roads. If they can engineer the car/truck that we are all so hyped to get, they can engineer some crossbars. I spoke to one of the engineers at the Mill Valley event and showed them this picture btw..he said they will absolutely have the ability for me to carry my boats!
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Kayak Questions IMG_4139

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I am hoping for cab-height crossbars for the bed as well - have seen nothing so far that would indicate they are coming, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for it anyway!
For what it's worth, Brian Gase told me in New York that the crossbars would be able to extend to match the height of those on the cab.

OP
OP

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
So, am I joining the party? Or, not. The answer is 'yes' - sort of.

To begin with, both the R1s and the R1t are compromises on what I really want. I want a small or medium sized pickup truck, with an extended cab and a canopy. Or, to put it another way, I want an electric version of my existing Toyota Tacoma!

I am willing to put up with a larger vehicle than what I want. I am even willing to put up with a quad cab, full of seats I don't need. (What can I say, I'm a reclusive paranoid.)

But, I am having major problems with my inability to nail down certain basics.

The hood. The e-mail response from Rivian suggested the hood doesn't rise up much beyond the level of the cab. In fact, I have found videos and pictures clearly showing the hood to rise up well above the cab.

For now I am going to have to hope Pherdnut is right, that there will be some way to keep it from bonking into my kayak. As I stated above, I really don't want to have to loosen all the kayak straps and slide it back in order to get into the frunk.

The towers. Rivian's response to my e-mail was that they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of towers, or that designers were working on towers. (Okay, my words. But, you can see where I am going on this!)

The canopy. Rivian's response to my e-mail was that they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of a canopy, or that designers were working on a canopy.

If I don't get either a tower to raise the #3 rack up to the level of the cab or a canopy with roof rack clips for the #3 and #4 roof racks, I am scuppered. I want a vehicle with a spread between the roof racks of 58 inches to 72 inches. I definitely don't want to end up with a Smart car like Northish has there!

The globe continues to get warmer. I need to get an electric vehicle, if for no other reason than to make an eco-statement.

The rust holes in my Tacoma, over the body panels above the wheels, are steadily growing. The clock is ticking!

There really isn't anything coming in the near future that works for me the way the R1s "could potentially fit". (No, I am not going to buy a triangle shaped pickup truck and attempt to balance a kayak on the point.)

So, today, I am going to hit the Configure Now button and reluctantly place my money on the table.

I am doing this on faith, not fact. If the facts don't surface, the money will end up back in my pocket.

I'd rather it didn't, though. I would much rather toss my bright red kayak on top of a blue, mid-sized battery R1t with AT tires and Adventure Package, and head off somewhere remote.

Cheers
Reed

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I imagine they would have thought about the hood detail. Their design process seems heavily focused on sussing out details like that. But might be a good question for a customer support rep.

OP
OP

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I imagine they would have thought about the hood detail. Their design process seems heavily focused on sussing out details like that. But might be a good question for a customer support rep.
I assume those were customer support reps I was e-mailing with. Basically, I got pretty much the same answer on all questions - wait and see.

I have now put down the cash on the deposit. So, we'll wait and see what they come up with as the first trucks are delivered later this year. I would think that I will be lucky to see even a hint of timing from them in a year. Plenty of time to decide if it is all going to work out!

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Watch the newest video - "The Long Way Up - Update". Near the end he opens the frunk and it seems to stop at about his head height (roughly cab height) and he then pushes it up another 8 inches or so. I believe they have designed that stop with kayaks (or other roof mounted stuff) in mind.

OP
OP

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Watch the newest video - "The Long Way Up - Update". Near the end he opens the frunk and it seems to stop at about his head height (roughly cab height) and he then pushes it up another 8 inches or so. I believe they have designed that stop with kayaks (or other roof mounted stuff) in mind.

Good work fastwheels. That definitely looks like a designed function.

I like the concept. Creating a height stop setting in the software would just mean fiddling with a monitor or a cell phone. An automatic stop with a manual extension is a direct, straight forward solution.

Love these videos. They are very effective at making me want to get out there with a Rivian on a dirt road!

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

That is exactly what I said in another thread. They created them with adjustable stops in case of kayaks, low-clearance garage, trees, etc...

If you need more or less open, you can make those adjustments with a long-press of the bottom at the front end of the truck while the frunk is in transition...

FranMCG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
DIY enthusiast, IT
Height estimated at 68.5" in kneel mode here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-specs-vs-r1t-specs.51/

I think the hood is pneumatic when opening. Probably will want to hold it when opening but I don't think servos will keep trying to grind it into your kayak.

I think I saw somebody post something about rack spacing in the confirmed by reps thread. I'll quote it if I find it. The R1T is exactly 2" longer than your kayak.

Dims of the racks themselves I don't think anybody can be sure of until we finally see them as config options. I would expect width to be roughly the width of the R1T itself which is 79.3". They are modular and can expand in width. Not sure whether width can be adjusted when they're plugged in or if they only adjust width to match socket spacing. I would guess the latter.

Here's some rack designs spied in one of their videos. I think somebody confirmed the telescoping racks are happening. Seems likely for launch as there's no bed cap options yet and accommodating kayakers is kind of a no-brainer. I would expect them to try and be as compatible with popular kayak holder options as possible for the same reason.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/more-r1t-rack-functions-and-accessories-spotted.101/

And yes, the ATs should be excellent for snow. Better than the all-seasons.
20s/All Terrain- off-road/snow - probably worst range - #s coming soon apparently
21s/All Seasons - best on-road range
22s/Sport- Track tires for grippy turns on pavement, possibly better acceleration, likely to wear out the fastest
Thank you so much for sharing. That's why I've registered here. As I understood right, placing of two average kayaks isn't a problem at all. I'm wondering is there any ready-to-go solution similar to storage rack reviewed here?
Sponsored

Last edited: