First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am planning on the rack over the bed. Then locking the bike if I am going to be away from it. I like the look. It’s clean and should be secure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
There was an article in another thread referencing a city council vote in Salida to approve a location for a Rivian charging station.

This is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/98tSoix9RfoxSSr47

Proximity to Moonlight Pizza for lunch is great, but these trails are also readily accessible from that location:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6309603/cottonwood-tour

There is a Supercharger station in Poncha Springs, basically sharing a lot with one of the Monarch Crest shuttle companies. It is probably a better location if you are passing through (near the 285 and 50 intersection), but I think Rivian's location better suits the calling of a "destination" being right in the heart of Salida, and as Rivian has stated as a goal, trails are easily accessible.

jsharpe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's going to be the hard part. I think my motor & battery alone weigh well over 30...
Yeah. I used to be hung up on the weight thing. My XC race bike is just over 20lbs all-in with pedals, mud, etc. My eMTB is over double that but honestly I no longer care. For the kinds of steep rides I do at the elevations where I live and at my age the eMTB is awesome. But then again if my wheels leave the ground it usually means I've done something wrong. For people who enjoy hucking any kind of air in lift served bike parks it wouldn't be the best fit.

p.s. this isn't too far from the future charging station in Salida which would be on my way from home to the front range.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking IMG_5195

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
I'm all about e-vehicles, but e-bikes are electric motorcycles and are a plague of lazy people. Their riders don't seem to care even if they are banned in certain areas. Further, their riders don't seem to refrain from posting their rides on Strava. Mechanical dopers!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm all about e-vehicles, but e-bikes are electric motorcycles and are a plague of lazy people. Their riders don't seem to care even if they are banned in certain areas. Further, their riders don't seem to refrain from posting their rides on Strava. Mechanical dopers!
They are most definitely not electric motorcycles, but I can infer from your post that you're in much better shape than I am...

Sponsored

jsharpe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are different classes of eBikes. I ride a class 1 (pedal assist) and it is certainly not an electric motorcycle. And even the US government and BLM consider them to be the same as a human powered bicycle. PM me if you want the legal details). I typically ride in trail mode set at 25% assist and often are at max heart rate spinning in my lowest gear. Sure I could bump up the assist, but I use it to take the edge off the climbs so I don't kill myself and enjoy the ride more while still getting plenty of exercise. I only post privately to Strava to record my rides for personal use. I could care less about KOM's and all the social aspects of the app.

Most (all?) people I've talked to that have a negative perception of them have never actually ridden one. And many that do buy one after that. Before you call someone lazy you might try riding with them first. I rode clockwork bikes for 34+ years on trails that challenge even the strongest riders.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
There are different classes of eBikes. I ride a class 1 (pedal assist) and it is certainly not an electric motorcycle. And even the US government and BLM consider them to be the same as a human powered bicycle. PM me if you want the legal details). I typically ride in trail mode set at 25% assist and often are at max heart rate spinning in my lowest gear. Sure I could bump up the assist, but I use it to take the edge off the climbs so I don't kill myself and enjoy the ride more while still getting plenty of exercise. I only post privately to Strava to record my rides for personal use. I could care less about KOM's and all the social aspects of the app.

Most (all?) people I've talked to that have a negative perception of them have never actually ridden one. And many that do buy one after that. Before you call someone lazy you might try riding with them first. I rode clockwork bikes for 34+ years on trails that challenge even the strongest riders.
how quickly will the Rivian charge up the eMTB battery? I feel like they should include some kind of quick charger for them. If that exists at all.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
how quickly will the Rivian charge up the eMTB battery? I feel like they should include some kind of quick charger for them. If that exists at all.
The ebike chargers use standard 110V, so using the plugs on the Rivian would lead to normal charging times. Cool option for taking an ebike off the grid though!

jsharpe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not aware of any eBike manufacturers that support quick charging. It certainly would be cool to have some kind of quick DC charge directly from the Rivian to the bike(s). However, that would likely require agreement between Rivian and the bike manufacturers and specially designed interface.

Separate from the EV aspect, lots of people ask about options for car charging eBikes so you would think it would be more of a thing. In most cases simply plugging the 110v wall charger provided with the eBike into an inverter attached to the car while driving or when camping maybe a portable gas generator. The charger for my bike (Specialized Levo w 700wh battery) draws ~180w. I think I read somewhere where the Rivian's 110v outlets could provide a total of 400w. So that would allow 2 bikes to charge simultaneously.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I pretty much ride every weekend during spring/summer here in CO. I'd rather spend my time working on my skills and endurance than concern myself with people riding e-bikes. Someone hurt you? You seem really upset. I'll echo the sentiment of the other poster about those that yell the loudest about them have typically not experienced them. I myself don't own one and haven't ridden them but i'm sure not going to get all huffy about something that doesn't affect me. I've personally neither seen nor heard of bad experiences about them on or off the trails. I've actually chatted with a bunch of them on the trails. All solid peeps. On the contrary, it's the younger kids choosing to go in the wrong direction or blasting around tight, blind turns on busy trails that I experience the most, not e-bike riders that tend to be part of the older crowd (in my experience). And who truly cares about Strava unless you're all about bragging and social media? Beat your own times and not a scoreboard I say. It's all about self improvement and those that might post on Strava will only affect you if you want to be affected by it.

Also, wasn't it you calling someone unnecessarily hostile previously? Now, I wouldn't call your post directly hostile towards someone specifically, but it was basically insulting to those that might enjoy e-bikes. Golden Rule bud.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I think I read somewhere where the Rivian's 110v outlets could provide a total of 400w.
Yeah, all over the forums because people keep mentioning it without verifying it. This is how misinformation spreads. Someone confirmed with Rivian chat that the outlets will be 15A -- just like a household plug. At 110V, that's 1650W.

You can't power the cooktop in the camp kitchen on 400W.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I'm not aware of any eBike manufacturers that support quick charging. It certainly would be cool to have some kind of quick DC charge directly from the Rivian to the bike(s). However, that would likely require agreement between Rivian and the bike manufacturers and specially designed interface.

Separate from the EV aspect, lots of people ask about options for car charging eBikes so you would think it would be more of a thing. In most cases simply plugging the 110v wall charger provided with the eBike into an inverter attached to the car while driving or when camping maybe a portable gas generator. The charger for my bike (Specialized Levo w 700wh battery) draws ~180w. I think I read somewhere where the Rivian's 110v outlets could provide a total of 400w. So that would allow 2 bikes to charge simultaneously.
So you're saying I should work with Shimano to get a reverse CCS quick charger for bike batteries? Can a Rivian reverse charge? I think the Leaf can. Having a quick charge for ebikes would make them far more useful for long commutes. Going more than 25+ miles on a eMTB might be too much on the body though.

However, until we have solid-state body-is-the-battery bikes, having battery exchange stations might be a better idea given most good bikes have removable batteries. Could be like the Blue Rhino propane kiosks, just located at bike trails and coffee shops.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
Between my girlfriend and I, we have 6 bikes ( 3 enduro mtn bikes) and while I use my Xterra with a Kuat hitch rack currently, and enjoy the fact we can fold the seats flat and throw a double air mattress in the rear for camping. But.. I've gone with the 400 mile R1T because of the things like gear guard, the gear tunnel which also will fit our snowboards. I like your idea of the warm water bike wash, the cooler could easily be solved with a plug in cooler in either the frunk or gear tunnel.

I deliberated between either the suv or truck, and kept coming back to the truck as being the better option for our lifestyle and also for future house down the road and all the likely projects the truck will better facilitate.

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
There was an article in another thread referencing a city council vote in Salida to approve a location for a Rivian charging station.

This is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/98tSoix9RfoxSSr47

Proximity to Moonlight Pizza for lunch is great, but these trails are also readily accessible from that location:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6309603/cottonwood-tour

There is a Supercharger station in Poncha Springs, basically sharing a lot with one of the Monarch Crest shuttle companies. It is probably a better location if you are passing through (near the 285 and 50 intersection), but I think Rivian's location better suits the calling of a "destination" being right in the heart of Salida, and as Rivian has stated as a goal, trails are easily accessible.
I found this on Reddit:
https://arkvalleyvoice.com/packed-agenda-drives-salida-city-council-hosts-last-meeting-of-2020/

"Council also approved a lease to Rivian, LLC for a portion of the property located at 232 G Street (west side of Safeway at Monarch Spur Trail) to install eight electric vehicle charging stations. Rivian is the manufacturer of a line of all-new, electric pickup trucks and “Adventure” Sport Utility Vehicles. As an outdoor sports mecca, Salida was selected to be a part of Rivian’s nationwide EV Charging network."

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Between my girlfriend and I, we have 6 bikes ( 3 enduro mtn bikes) and while I use my Xterra with a Kuat hitch rack currently, and enjoy the fact we can fold the seats flat and throw a double air mattress in the rear for camping. But.. I've gone with the 400 mile R1T because of the things like gear guard, the gear tunnel which also will fit our snowboards. I like your idea of the warm water bike wash, the cooler could easily be solved with a plug in cooler in either the frunk or gear tunnel.

I deliberated between either the suv or truck, and kept coming back to the truck as being the better option for our lifestyle and also for future house down the road and all the likely projects the truck will better facilitate.
Had the same debate over and over again myself. Ended up going with the R1S but it was tough. Huge fan of Kuat racks. I'm curious how a 2 inch to 1.25 inch adapter will work in terms of extension length, looks, and garage fit as I currently have the 1.25 inch rack with my Acura RDX. I'd rather have the Kuat 2 inch rack to work with the receiver on the Rivian but would hate having to sell and re-buy a new one!
Sponsored